Black Diamond
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 55m 14s
Overall Rank = 125/
Age Group = 40/44
Age Group Rank = 18/34
Pre-race routine:

The hotel we stayed in did not have waffles so we went to a local place for breakfast.This was not a good choice but it was fuel.
Event warmup:

When we got to the park it was 45 degrees out side and everything was covered in dew.So we waited in the car until the sun came up to warm the air a little.About ten minutes before the race started I got a little swim in.
Swim
  • 37m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The men started first and it got a little crowded at the first bouy but after that it was real good.I got into a nice steady pace sighted every 4th stroke I could not ask for a better swim at this point in my career I can only get better with time.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

I might have went a little faster but I took my time and made sure I had everything I needed.

maybe move a little faster.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I really kept a good focus on not overdoing it on this portion of the race ,I kept my speed in check except going downhill but I did not mash the uphills and paced good on the flats. My nutrition was good for the first lap but on the second loop I just did not pay attention to it which may have been my down fall in the run.

More long distance rides/runs prior to the big races to get my nutrition down.
Transition 2
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

I was a little shaky so I took a minute to just relax and catch my breath before heading out on the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 25m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started great I kept my pace between 8:00 and 9:00 min mile I slowed down for the first hill and brought my pace back to were I wanted to be.At mile 6 I was at 52 minutes in and things still felt ok,this only lasted for another minute untill I reached the last hill before the turnaround my right quad and calf started to cramp so I slowed down then the left did the same thing bringing me to a slow limping walk the rest of the way up the hill. On the flat they letup a bit but not much when I reached for a hammergel I realized that I did not have them and they were on the course some were behind me.Iran to the next aid station at about mile 7 but all they had was Heed so I grabbed 2 cups and downed them I did a slow run for another mile when the cramps hit again soon followed by nasua and an overwhelming urge to be rid of the Heed.So needless to say it was a suffer fest for the last 4 miles run a little walk alot I did run through the finish but it felt like all the muscles in my legs were coming apart.

After getting back to my bike I found that I had not drank my last bottle of Infinite on the bike course this probably played a major role in my falling apart on the run.I also need to try using salt tablets because I sweat a lot.Pacing also may have played apart on the bike and the run. So in conclusion I need to do more bike/run bricks at race pace and play more with my nutrition because there is no reason I could not do a HIM in 5;30 to 5:40 range.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around went and got some food and liquids and a jacket then cheered on the rest of the racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and maybe paced to fast.

Event comments:

I realy enjoyed this race and would do it again.I could see the major difference between a closed course race versus the not closed course we still had to deal with traffic and hostel residents at least verbaly hostel with the closed course you had no cars and trucks to deal with and you got hordes of happy people on the side lines cheering for you.

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/34
Overall: 116/
Performance: Good
Suit: Pro motion
Course: 2 diamond shape loops around Deep lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:18 | 56 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 64/
Wind: Little
Course: Left out of the park and towards Ravensdale then back past the park to 416th then left back onto the same route then do the first loop again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:25:55 | 13.1 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/34
Overall: 198/
Performance: Below average
Course: Go south from the park into some neighborhoods up and down a few hills then back to the park and around the lake to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 12:38 PM

User image

somewhere in the northwest
Subject: Black Diamond Half Iron Triathlon

2009-09-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2429936

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Black Diamond Half Iron Triathlon

Great job on the race! It looks like you learned an important lesson and next time you should do that much better! Congrats.

2009-09-28 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2429936

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Black Diamond Half Iron Triathlon
HUGE time drop from last time. Congrats on joining the under 6 club.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Diamond Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed