Whitewater, Wisconsin
United States
67F / 19C
Total Time = 1h 17m 5s
Overall Rank = 16/111
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Late start for this triathlon. I didnt go until 11:16 so i got to get some sleep for the first time in a tri! My friend who was doing his first one went at 10:37. Just got up, had a cup of coffee and some cereal and took off at about 8:15.
Event warmup:

Got to the event and got checked in. Helped my buddy set up his transition area and what to expect. He was getting nervous and antsy. After we got everything set up and ready to go, just did a short ride to make sure the bikes were ready to go. Watch my buddy go and swim and help him through T1. After that, i did a short swim to get loose and ready to go.
Swim
  • 09m 28s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

This didnt go as i would have liked. I was the third to go in our wave. The first guy was more my speed the girl in between was much slower. So, i caught the lady on the first 75 yards so i decided to kick it into high to get around her and stop from slowing me down. Wasnt the best choice. I went too hard and what happend was the guy in front of me now slowed down, i ran into him, then, i forgot count of where i was at in yardage, so a slew of things slowed me down and got me behind. Still, an improvement from last year of 30 seconds, but wanted better.
What would you do differently?:

Swim alone in the lane!
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Good transition, no wetsuit to take off and not much running to get to the area. No socks for the bike, and took off.

Not much at all, very happy with this transition.
Bike
  • 41m 30s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Course has some rollers no big hills until the end. Bike was cruising on the first 6 or so miles withe 20mph gusts at my back, but....coming back was horribel. I dont know if i have ever raced in worse conditions, or ever trained with these strong of winds. It was rough, HR got so high just trying to get through some of the long stretches. I was avg around 25 and then just dropped right away. Still did pretty good i felt and i knew everyone else was effected by it so just hammer it home. Legs felt strong the whole time so that was a huge plus.

Race at 7 am and not hit the winds as bad haha
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Another good transition. Had to go the end of the area and run back out so did it in a minute was happy.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This started off so so. Left calf would not loosen up at all. HR started off high and tried to get it down but just couldnt with the bike and winds. DTFU and run! Just started hammering it after mile one and never looked back. The trail run is ok, i dont do it much and there is some decent hills to run around so that also had the HR going up and down. After about mile 2 i got a pretty bad side ache that i get when the HR is too high for too long, and it hit. Couldnt get a good breath but again DTFU, only a mile left so i hammered it home at a pretty good pace. Legs felt strong, just didnt have good breathing going on to get that extra oomph! Happy with this run, its a tough hillier run and avg 7:35 (almost 3 min less than last years avg). Big improvement there!

Get the HR down
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked it off, hung out and congratulated my friend on his first triathlon. Walked around, got some food, stretched, got some warm clothes on and then waited around for the awards to bring home 1st place!

Event comments:

Great race. For first timers, i would recommend this one. Great indoor pool and not a real challenging course. Improved a ton from last year, i weigh close to 30 lbs less than last years race weight, and much much faster. Had a great great season. Got to the podium three times and had a blast all summer. Lots more improvement to come and excited for next season of tris!!!!

I think my friend is hooked. Had a blast the whole time and i am looking forward to seeing him get into it, i think hes got some good potential. Great track athlete in high school and swam an 11 min 500 yard with no swim training practically.

Last updated: 2009-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:28 | 500 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 39/111
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Indoor pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:30 | 13.7 miles | 19.81 mile/hr
Overall: 20/111
Performance:
Ummmmm HIGH
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:04 | 03.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 0/111
Performance:
HIGH, very HIGH
Course: Trail run with hills
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon

2009-09-28 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2430277

User image

Northern Illinois
Subject: RE: J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon
Nice race! Congrats on first place and your drop in weigh over the year! I think we racked very close to each other- I was 142 the girl in pink ironman. Anyhow, good luck in the off season and I hope to see you at earlybird??
2009-10-01 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Hey great race and great improvement over last year.  Considering last year was much easier in terms of weather.  Nice to say that one of *my* athletes got 1st in AG!!!!
2009-10-02 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Wow...1st in AG!! Congrats on a great race!   Schmize trying to take the credit eh?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » J-Hawk Late Bird Triathlon Rss Feed