Rode up early with Felix, picked up race packet, had a z bar
Event warmup:

Nothing really, just hung out and chatted
Bike
  • 8h 13m 42s
  • 104 miles
  • 12.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I almost bailed because I had been sick all week, and still felt less than stellar with a head cold & sinus infection. I also got a new job that seriously diminished my training the last few weeks.I decided to make a go of it anyways and just take it easy (a relative term when it comes to climbing mountains) It was a bit cool at the start and I decided to start towards the back of the pack. The streets were still wet from the rain the night before. I started out very slow, basically a joyride pace all the way to Neels gap. Took it easy up Neels, and still passed lots of people, but I did get the yucky lightheaded feeling from being sick. Stopped at the top of neels gap, refueled and enjoyed the long descent and ride to Jacks. Jacks start out to be pretty challenging, but as soon as it starts to suck it gets easier. Stopped again at the top of Jacks and then moved to unicoi, which was only mildy challenging. I was trying to save as much as I could for Hogpen, which was the nasty climb. I refueled again at the top of Unicoi and was a bit dehydrated, so I tried to drink up and stretch to avoid cramping. I was already started to feel fatigue at this point. The descent from unicoi is my favorite. After the turn towards Hogpen there are some nasty hills leading up to the base that give you a taste of whats to come. I felt Ok on the initial ascent of Hogpen, then about 1 mile from the midpoint rest stop I heard the PSSST sound- Crap- I had to lose my momentum and check the tire. Strangely it held pressure, so I remounted and rode to the first stop on hogpen, and for some reason the stop interrupted my mojo and I was hurting and starting to get crampy. I took 15 minutes to stretch, eat and drink and felt better on the remainder of the ascent. I stopped at the top of hogpen to change out the tube just in case- I dint want to risk that descent and get a flat. I was super conservative on the hogpen descent (max 30 mph) as I had a scare a few weeks ago. I knew woflpen would suck, being the hardest climb after hogpen, so I rolled right through the rest stop and right to the climb. I felt OK, but had no turnover in the legs and was starting to get passed alot about halfway up wolfpen. The climb was not as bad as expected, and I stopped for a stretch and some food for a few minutes. I was getting little cramps and fatigue was really setting in now. I probably slung about a quart of snot rockets at this point. The descent from wolfpen was fun, and at this point i was just letting it rip cause I was ready to be done! The ride to woodys gap through Suches has a few challenging rollers, but a nice ride. My pace was continuing to slip. The ascent of Woodys was no big deal- more like a big hill. I stopped once more knowing that I had completed all 6 Gaps climbs- but then realized there were 16 more miles-UGHH! Again I let it rip on the descent from woodys and then made the turn at the base where there were many more rollers. I finally found some spunk with about 4 miles to go and picked up the pace so I could be done with it. I was so happy to see the finish line. It wasn't my best effort- but I knew that coming in, but I think it made the accomplishment a bit more meaningful.
What would you do differently?:

More riding. The biggest limiter was being sick- cant really control that.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the cafeteria and had some spaghetti and a salad. My stomach was shut down so I couldn't eat much. My whole body was locking up in funny places, particularly my lower back. I waited for Felix for a bit and packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick.

Event comments:

Great support and volunteers. 9 rest stops. Probably the best supported ride around

Last updated: 2009-08-07 12:00 AM
Biking
08:13:42 | 104 miles | 12.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 104 miles over the north georgia mountains
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right