Playtri
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 56s
Overall Rank = 26/273
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/19
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in McKinney the night before, so only had a 5 minute drive over. My AG oly wave started at 8:19, but transition closed at 7:30 (sprint waves started at 7:15). Got there about 6:30, got Blackwell's on, dropped stuff in transition, and walked around area and checked out the lake. For bfast: banana, meal replacement drink, Clif bar. Forgot to grab Gu before the swim...
Event warmup:

Jogged for a few minutes. Probably should have done more, but ultimately felt rushed.
Swim
  • 22m 19s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

First overall out of water (including open and collegiate, but not including relays). Started in front of my wave, swam with 2 or 3 guys from get-go. Left them 200 meters or so in, and was basically swimming by myself from there. Passed most of open womens wave, and a few open male wave. Last portion of each lap was impossible to see buoys because of the sun, so had to tread water and ultimately take my goggles off to see. Definitely slowed me down, but nobody caught me.

First swim ever with the wetsuit. Felt like my neck was artificially held up, but I was told later that is sort of normal...
What would you do differently?:

Metallic goggles? Wish there were faster people around to draft off of and swim with.

Learn to push the right button on the Garmin!!
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Unzipping suit while jogging was no problem. Got it down to my waist while jogging. Almost slipped down the big grassy hill coming out of the water. Probably a 200m+ job to transition area. Had Garmin and wrist strap in plastic baggy in cap, so got wrist strap on while jogging. A bit of a slow job, but probably fine considering I needed to calm down. No problems slipping out of wetsuit while putting sunglasses and helmet on. Hopped on bike and got feet on top of shoes pretty easily. Waited until I stopped going uphill to put feet in.

Not sure how to do that one better...faster jog? There were certainly faster people, fastest was maybe a minute better. That's quick!
Bike
  • 1h 05m 19s
  • 24 miles
  • 22.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid bike for me. Not blazing, but as fast as I've been on 2x the length and a harder course. Tried to keep HR in control and up the cadence to not get legs too winded, but dont know cadence because I had the race wheels on. Maybe I pushed too much?
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Everything was pretty good except I didn't get the Garmin off the bike/onto wrist while riding. Thought about it, but didn't want to drop it. Ended up having to stop mid stride with bike to get it off before racking. That was a slow up. Also decided to put on socks to avoid blisters, so that took some time. Need to remember to swing right foot OVER the bike, not try to step off with the left foot first! Messed that dismount up again.

Learn to step off the bike more efficiently. Maybe get the Garmin off the bike first...
Run
  • 49m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful run. Felt miserable from step #1. Calves and sides cramping first mile. Got those away, but just had no speed. Got slower and slower thru the course. Couldn't keep cool, couldn't get into good rhythm. Dumped cups of water on me to try to regulate temperature, nothing doing. Ended up walking for 45 seconds or so at some point. When I went to walk, felt really dizzy and a bit flushed/lightheaded. Picked the jog back up, but it was ugly.

Run more? Not work so hard on the bike? Take in more fluids? No clue.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged for 10 minutes or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No idea!

Event comments:

Only problem was run course marking. I went the wrong way a couple of times...

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:19 | 1500 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 1/273
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: 2 lap clockwise loop. Buoys in fine places. Sun was directly in eyes at some parts though.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:19 | 24 miles | 22.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 50/273
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 laps clockwise. South and westbound legs were hillier and windier, while the other two were with wind and eastbound had a nice big hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:29 | 06.21 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 30/273
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. Slightly hilly and in the sun for the majority. Tough course for me...kicked my butt.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes