Washington, Washington, D.C.
United States
Army
Total Time = 1h 32m 24s
Overall Rank = 8832/21289
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 591/1966
Pre-race routine:

Arrived about an hour before the start, spent some time in the port-o-potty line, and started wiggling my way through the crowd to the blue wave.
Event warmup:

Jogged a mile or so, stretched and took a gel.
Run
  • 1h 32m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race not knowing how I'd be able to perform. I figured I'd be able to PR because I've upped my mileage considerably since my last ten-miler (training for the Marine Corps Marathon), but I missed about two weeks of training with the swine flu.

Since I wasn't sure what time I could hope for, I just decided to go out quickly and see how long I could hang on. I averaged right around 9:15-9:20 every mile and felt pretty good. The few miles running past the Smithsonians and down to the Capitol was faster -- and on the way back I realized it was because it was a slight downhill.

I am not a huge fan of the bridge in the last couple of miles, but it wasn't as hot this year so it wasn't as bad as in previous years. I was able to pick it up in the last two miles and passed a lot of people. I also love the way they do the finish line at this race -- you turn the corner and BAM, you're done.

This was a great race. Even though it has more runners, it never felt as congested as the Cherry Blossom Ten-Miler always does. And the weather was PERFECT. I shaved about three minutes off my previous PR and was very happy with the results. It definitely made me more confident about my first marathon in two weeks.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I think I could have gone out even a little faster, because I had a lot left in the last two miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the looooong exit chute. Grabbed a bagel and met up with my husband and my fastie friend who ran a 1:10 as a warmup for the Baltimore Marathon (crazy girl). Stretched a little and braved the Metro home.

Last updated: 2009-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:24 | 10 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1966
Overall: 0/21289
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]