Baltimore Runing Festival
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 02m 39s
Overall Rank = 2588/7802
Age Group = m50-54
Age Group Rank = 80/218
Pre-race routine:

Showered and enjoyed a bagel with peanut butter and tomatoes with coffee. Little streching before heading to Light Rail.
Event warmup:

Just walking to the start line was a warmup. Knowing 13 people in the race and saw NONE.
Run
  • 2h 02m 39s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Started in the front middle of the second wave was great placing. Walked 1 1/2 minutes to the start mat and stayed with our flow thru the first mile would have been tough to break out if too slow or too fast. 9:36 opening mile was our slowest mile of the day. Daughter was doing good but prefered to pace off of me instead of running her own race. She wanted a 2 hour finish so I did the best I could to get her there. My own pacing was steady even on the hills not sure of HR as the strap didn't sync with the borrowed Garmin but suspect near LT as my breathing was just on the edge of gasping. My form continues to improve as I focus on it. By mile 4 I felt I was in a good groove and wanted to push a little faster. Finished the last three miles very well dispite the rain on the road causing me to feel like we were slipping or running on wet gummy bears.
What would you do differently?:

nothing but would have borrowed the HR strap too.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to hang at the finish chute for my daughter but got pushed thru. Found a spot inside and waited there for her. We walked thru the food lines and Village. Did a little straeching but needed to hit the road for she had a wedding to attned in the afternoon. Again walking thru the village didn't see anybody we knew. Collected our bag and headed out to light rail.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age and weight but only one of these can be reduced. The other just is a state of mind and I am okay with that.

Event comments:

My daughter, Rebecca ran very well until we hit got to the lake. As I accelerated the pace to get her under 2 hours she lost it. So I slowed down for her but she said she was done. Her minimum training halted her progress but then she works fulltime, is working on her Masters degree and a full social calender tough to fit in running. I truly enjoy our special time together either training on Sunday mornings or in our race.
This event was great and very well run. The crowds cheering you on electric. Little funny as I turned the corner just past the Gummy Bear guy, noticed a few urban rodents(rats) chowing down on the dropped gummy's. Was really cool to pass by three of my past employeers shops. Would be cool to have Duff (Ac of Cakes) do cupcakes for us. Need to send him a letter. My cousin David finished his first HM today as well. I inspired him at the Gathering to run and try. He started training serious 4 months ago and finished 2:15. He is hooked and wants us to do the Fred HM in the spring adn the full Balto next year. TBD

The end of all this is I was most pleased with my improvement. Last year I struggled to finish in 2:11 and was miserable. Feet and legs really hurt. This year improved by 8 minutes, I am sore but not hurt. Going down stairs causes noticeable pain but otherwise pretty good. Feel like this is a big mental step in prep for Eagleman.

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:39 | 13.2 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/218
Overall: 0/7802
Performance: Good
Course: Urban panorama of Baltimore.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5