Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Downing Street memo (minutes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-26 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: The Downing Street memo (minutes)
The fact that the so-called Downing Street Memo hasn't gotten any play in the American media has been bothering the hell out of me. I, and many others, think that it is the smoking gun that proves president Bush knowingly lied about our involvement in Iraq. Since we may very well be invading Iran or Syria next month, and since I have 2 college roommates in Iraq, I feel strongly about this issue.

I am not going to start a political debate as I know better than to try to convince people on message boards against their will. However, if you are unsure of whether we were actually lied to about Iraq, or believe we were lied to but haven't seen this memo, I strongly urge you to look at the links below and make up your own mind. If you agree with me, please get the word out to your friends as the mainstream media has barely covered this memo and we have to do their job for them.

I will not engage in any namecalling or flamewars on this thread, but am willing to give out information, receive information, and answer questions both here and by PM.

The lives of 1600+ American soldiers have been extinguished because of this lie not to mention 21,795 civilians (low end) killed. I think we owe it to them to at least take a look at, and make an inquiry into, the charges that have been leveled at the current administration.

A site that discusses the memo's importance:
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com/

Here is the original memo in the Sunday Times:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-1593607,00.html

Asia Times article discussing the memo and the NY Review of books upcoming June 9 publication of it:
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GE17Ak02.html

2005-05-27 1:17 PM
in reply to: #164158

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: The Downing Street memo (minutes)
Oh come on, no one really believes the lie. Everyone knows we were deceived. That's we were lied to is not even a debate.
2005-05-27 2:40 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Governments LIE!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!
2005-05-27 6:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I think that many people "suspect" a lie, but the administration's position has been that they had "bad intelligence". What this memo proves is that the administration DID lie. That is an impeachable offense.

The mainstream media has essentially not covered this memo which should be a major story-and was in the UK- that the administration DID lie. Instead we have Michael Jackson coverage...

Witness the effect such a memo might have by the 100 seat loss of Blair despite his re-election. This was interpreted as voters, upset over the lie, sending him a message. It is hard for voters to send a message if they don't know the facts.

Most people here are well-informed, sadly not everyone is, as evidenced by 72% of the country beleiving that Saddam Hussein was "personally involved" in 9-11. I must note that the Bush administration has never claimed this.

I think its important to get people a little more informed. That's all.

2005-05-30 3:40 PM
in reply to: #164760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western Massachusetts
Most people here are well-informed, sadly not everyone is, as evidenced by 72% of the country beleiving that Saddam Hussein was "personally involved" in 9-11. I must note that the Bush administration has never claimed this. I think its important to get people a little more informed. That's all.

During the ramp-up to why we had to attack Iraq there was one week that four top level people, including Bush, Powell and Rumsfeld, said, "When we were attacked by Saddam, err, bin Laden..."  All three off them made the same "mistake".  It sounded like your normal mis-speak (certainly normal for Bush) and everyone just let it go.  But it happened three or four times in one week.  Are you so sure the Bush administration didn't try to connect them?

Gwendal
2005-06-01 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I think that they mentioned them together a lot to give people the impression that the two were connected, but to be fair and truthfu, I have to say that the people who believe Saddam planned 9-11 are simply grossly misinformed. The Bush administration amy have given that impression but never said it directly.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Downing Street memo (minutes) Rss Feed