Pelham, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
Total Time = 1h 09m 19s
Overall Rank = 55/345
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/46
Pre-race routine:

0430 I rolled over and said to Amanda Oh Crap. I really wanted to roll over and go back to sleep. I just wasn't feeling great. Anyway ate breakfast Bagel/PB, banana and water. Got a shower loaded the bikes then waited for Amanda to get ready.

Got to the race site around 0545 adn it was empty so I got a great place in transition, then went to help Amanda get her transition set up. Walked back to my spot to grab my running shoes to warm up.
Event warmup:

I did about 10 minutes of jogging with a few pickups. Then back to transition to put shoes up. Noticed the clouds were looking rough so I grabbed my other towel to lay over my shoes. Wet shoes suck. Then down to the lake to warm up.
Swim
  • 04m 59s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam the course once as a warmup and didn't want to get out of the water. It was colder than normal and some nasty clouds were rolling in. Anyway after we got all lined up and getting ready to start, it starts lightning.

So they delayed the start for about 10 minutes. During that time I was just running up and down the beach to stay loose. Finally we got started.

The swim was very quick and I didn't draft at all, I was to busy passing. I had clear water except for the turns and I just swam over who ever was in the way.
What would you do differently?:

All team magic events are TT start and I need to estimate my time better, so I can draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

From the swim exit you have to run up hill and over stairs to reach transition.

Just business, helmet on, belt on, grab bike, run. Got to the mount line and it was still up hill, so I sprinted with my bike to the top of the hill jumped on took a few strokes and started getting my feet in.

Notta. Alot of people had issues with the uphill start to the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 45s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was getting my second foot into my shoes the bottom falls out. I mean the rain kinda hurt. And I'm thinking great Disc/H3 combo + rain + wind = cluster.

Got down the first hill from transition and was sreaming around 40 mph, felt the front wheel wobble a few times. Scary.

Got to the first of 3 climbs in which I needed the small ring to spin up. So I dropped it to the small ring and spun up. Got to the top of the hill went to shift back into the big ring and damn I threw a chain. So I hop off the bike get it back on and off I go.

At this point I cruising the hills in the big ring and I make it to a hill around mile 6 or 7 and drop it into the small ring spin up the hill go to shift back into the big ring and bam. It happens again I throw the chain for a second time. I have no idea of the combo of helping adjectives that came out of my mouth at this point. Bleep... bleep

The rest of the bike was pretty uneventful. Except for the father/son combo I saw drafting ass back to transition. I know they were drafting because I heard the dad yell at his son to get closer. Go figure.

Have my front derailleur better adjusted.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Dismount bike and run. I passed 4 or 5 people just running to the racks. Shoes on, Helmet off, Glasses off, Turn belt around and run.

Notta, short and simple.
Run
  • 20m 48s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run behind one of the USAT development kids. He was clicking off a good pace so I just stayed on his shoulder. Got to the one mile mark and he says to himself 7:20. I'm thinking alright this is looking up.

Headed into the pseudotrail portion of the course and proceded to got up and down two good sized hills. I was still not feeling any pop in the legs and I just thought hang on this will be over soon.

Got back on the paved road and guess what my legs showed up. I could feel my stride lengthen and my turn over increase. I soon caught a guy and started running at his shoulder. I noticed he had a garmin so I asked, "what pace we were running?" He said 6:50's I said thanks then turned it up.

I must have passed 5-6 people in the last half mile. Made the turn to the finishing shoot and sprinted.

Notta, better than I expected
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank some water and stretched. Then I sat in the rain and waited for Amanda to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had no pop today. But some how managed to run sub 7's. One day it will come together.

Event comments:

I would give this race 5 but I really don't like the time trial start.

Last updated: 2009-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:59 | 400 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/46
Overall: 0/345
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Course was a clockwise triangle. And the swim was cut short due to a run away bouy.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:45 | 13 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/46
Performance: Average
No Power file for this race. After my poor warmup I just didn't really want to know how bad it was going to be.
Wind: Some
Course: Some Hills on State Park Roads.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:48 | 03 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/46
Course: Out and back with a one hill each way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes