EdgeReg
70'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 6s
Overall Rank = 26/94
Age Group = 19-30
Age Group Rank = 8/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up pretty early since my roommate was going to work anyways. Made some oatmeal, eggs, and coffee, watched Bio-Dome, woke my friend up (also doing the race) one last check over my gear, mounted the bikes and started the drive to Jefferson City. Got there at about 7:30ish, set up transition, got bodymarked, sat and talked to some really nice guys and gals about everything from Wheels holding water to how nice Cervelo's are :) My shabby CR1 got some nice compliments though!
Event warmup:

Ran around a little bit to get the blood flowing (it was COLD) thankfully the pool was heated and around 90. Stretched, got in line, and waited for my time to start.
Swim
  • 03m
  • 164 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim time has never been blazing fast, but 1:30 per 75m is about on par with what I've been doing on my FEW swim sessions. Glad it wasn't longer to be honest, I still can't fully extend my left arm and it gets tired even after 50 or so meters.
What would you do differently?:

Got to build my strength back up from atrophy, then find my groove again. I could tell my form has slipped in my down time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

There is still plenty of time to be shaved off of my T1. Hopefully over the off season I'll have some motivation to practice putting on my shoes while riding. Otherwise, I felt like it was pretty quick really.

Learn some sweet moves!
Bike
  • 36m 54s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Right after the Long hill, I shifted into my big ring and dropped my chain! I was unsure (didn't see the coarse beforehand) exactly HOW close to the finish I was, so I coasted down a hill with no gears thinking I might be able to ride it in. Another hill before the dismount brought that dream crashing down though, so I got off and found that my chain was STUCK in the Front Derailleur! Crap. It takes me a good minute or two to PRY the chain out, then I put it back on the ring (i think) jump on and, it drops immediately! Double crap! I jump off, get it right, and blow up that last hill as fast as I possibly can. I'm 100% sure that dropping my chain cost me a podium spot. Oh well, I can't be mad with a 16mph average considering I sat still for 2 or 3 minutes.

SRAM RED gruppo, you are looking sweeter and sweeter every day.

Seriously, other than the chain drop, and the fact that I didn't hydrate well on the bike, I couldn't have asked for it to go better. I was on FIRE the whole bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Again, my transitions need work. Staying clipped in until the dismount, then running in tri shoes is not optimal. Also, I need to toughen my feet up and get some sockless running shoes so I can skip that whole segment. Other than that though, it was an ok T2

WORK ON MY TRANSITIONS. With some VERY simple changes I could drop 30-45 seconds easy.
Run
  • 27m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 and IMMEDIATELY regretted not drinking more water on the bike. My gut started giving me pains almost from the get-go. I will myself NOT to walk, just slow down and get some breaths, find my rhythm. The plan goes as well as you can guess... I never find my comfort zone and suffer the whole 3 miles. On the plus side, I didn't stop, and even managed to pass one or two people.

Got to get more water on the bike ride, I'm convinced that is what gave me the pain in the gut. I won't hate though, I've been running somewhere in the 8:xx fresh, so running it off the bike doesn't give me much room to B*tch.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged mom (who was worried sick! she saw the black grease on me after the bike and immediately thought I had wrecked again) and let her know I was fine, got some water, walked back towards the finish and waited for my friend to cross. Gave him a high-five and congratulated him on being a triathlete. We went and got some cookies/pizza and chatted with some of the people we had talked to earlier.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1.) Chain coming off on the bike... I'm sorta sore about that one still.
2.) Not hydrating right on the bike. I know better than that.
3.) Transitions. I WILL have that one fixed before next year.
4.) Swim. This winter I have to put some hours into the water. Fortunately for me this one was short, but that won't cut it forever.

Event comments:

It was a first year event, so there was some of the obvious complications. Race day events does a heck of a job setting stuff up though, and I was glad when I saw their banner pulling in the parking lot (didn't know it was a RDE) The lack of police was the biggest gripe I had, the roads were only trafficed by volunteers with signs, which Drivers notoriously ignored ( I witnessed at least 3 such events firsthand) Otherwise everything was up to what I expected.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-10-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:00 | 164 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 41/94
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Kissed my mom (she's always so worried) gave my prayer and hopped in the pool. 150m is no big deal mind you, but after shoulder surgery and months without swimming, I won't lie and say I wasn't glad when it was over. Didn't get passed, passed one person, just took my time and survived :)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:54 | 10 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Overall: 28/94
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Course was pretty well thought out, not so technical, with a LOOONG, suffering climb towards the end. Roads were fairly rough at points, but overall I've been on much worse. NO police was a bit scary on the main roads, but for a first year event, it was pretty safe.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:27 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 28/94
Performance: Average
Course: It was a nice run course. I would say it was very scenic, but I've never understood how people have time to take it in, I'm always too busy keeping myself out of my own mind to appreciate nature.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes