United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 56m 13s
Overall Rank = 1/341
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Eat some cereal, hit up the bathroom and check the weather. Then get my tires pumped up and ready to go. Off to almost Katy(hour drive)
Event warmup:

2mi warmup with some pick ups.
Run
  • 11m 12s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

It had been sprinkling for about an hour now, but not heavy just enough to get everything wet so you know you will have to take the turns slowly on the bike. Then I start to make my way to the start line after my warm up and continue to get a few more strides in. In the middle of this, the sky opens up completely. I'm standing there at the starting line thinking, I sure would rather just do a 5k right now.

I went into this race pretty much knowing it was me vs Scott Wilkinson for the win. We've gone back and fourth a bit over the last year or so. He usually has me on the shorter distances and I can get him in a olympic. A duathlon is even more in his favor due to his running background. I was looking forward to really hurting trying to beat him!

So the gun goes off, everyone takes the obvious best route(Around the puddles and mud) and I took a slight tigher route to the left. Worked out fine. Scott passes me at 200m, and two relay guys are ahead. Scott got 10-12s on me and it stayed about there till the end of the first run. The two relay guys were way up there. First guy may of ran sub 10 with the other low 10s.

It really poured during the run.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could of stayed closer to scott, but that doesn't mean it would of been the best choice. Scott him self has blown up quite a few times.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No idea on time. Slipping and slidding on the mud in transition.

Wear spikes.. I dunno..
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.7 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

No split as it was combined with my t1 time.

Pass one of the relay guys on the mount line so now it's just 1 relay and scott ahead of me. Scott isn't far up and I bring him to about 7 seconds at about mile 2 but then he stretched that out to 15s before I was able to hold the gap steady. Then we get to the really, really rough rode and am about to pass the relay guy and Scott pulls over with a flat. Obviously frustrated. So I move into the lead and keep the pressure on since there is someone I don't know 20-30s back at this point.

Finish the first loop feeling good and riding well, my bike comp avg was 40.3k/hr so right around 25mph. With the wind and rain I was riding well. I had to go around a few cars as I re-entered the people just now getting to the run. This is where things start to get sketchy people riding side by side when we only have 1 lane and it's raining. I had just got done making a few sketchy passes when I notice a cop letting cars go at the intersection ahead. So I have to stop, let out a few choice words. Around 30s later 2nd place rolls up and asks wtf is going on. We complain to each other for another 30s, while 3rd shows up. Finally we get to going again, but my head isn't in it anymore. I no longer care about going as fast as I can and just switch to go for the win mode. So the three of us stay legal, but ride together the last 4-5 miles of the ride.

I out of aero quite a bit on the 2nd loop due to people, weather and rough rodes. Avg was 39.4km/hr at the end, but that's not including my stopped at the intersection.. so I'm not sure what my split was.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Everything was bad. It was slippery when I was one of the first guys back in transition. NOW it was just a horrible mud pit. It was hard doing anything, I was slipping about and my shoes ended up getting a pound of mud in them along with my feet.

It was cool. :)
Run
  • 11m 34s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

It's still raining, but less then it was when we started. Now though the park on the side of the road is no longer a park, but a lake.

Like I said I was racing for the win and not going all out. The 2nd place guy I didn't know so I was unsure what he was capable of. He went out at a decent pace so I just stuck with him for the first mile. Once we turned around I got up on his shoulder to check out how hard he was breathing. A few seconds later I put in a move to get to a turn first and then kept it going. I took a look back 1min later to see the gap, it was only 10-15m so I had to go again. This time I tried to picture Brownlee outrunning Gomez and it seemed to work pretty well as I felt fluid and put a bit more of a gap on him. Now it's only about 800m or less to go so I just focus on keeping the pace up till the finish. I get to the last 200-300m of the run which is through the mud when people start yelling GO, GO, GO! He is gaining on you FAST! I think OH SHIT! He is going to come back to me and pass me! So I try to pick it up, but mainly I just slip around in the mud and stumble to the finish line. I get passed 20ft from the finish line, by one of the relay guys. I ended up winning OA though by 14s.

Not much, it went well.
Post race
Warm down:

2mi jog, mainly to stay warm as I was freezing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, traffic, wind.

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:12 | 02 miles | 05m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 2/341
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back 2 mile
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00