General Discussion Race Reports! » Baystate Marathon and Lowell Sun Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Baystate Marathon and Lowell Sun Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
lowell, Massachusetts
United States
Greater Lowell Roadrunners
36F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 14m 34s
Overall Rank = 945/1266
Age Group = 40-49 F
Age Group Rank = 129/182
Pre-race routine:

Got up @ 5:45 - had tried and true breakfast of cheerios, blueberries and coffee.
Event warmup:

Although the race was about 30 minutes from my house, traffic to the parking area was backed up. Had enough time to park, dress for the race, and walk to the start. Stretched a bit and chatted before the gun went off.
Run
  • 2h 14m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Was running with my neighbor who, after 15 years of couch potato-ness, signed up for this race. Although he lives next door, he didn't want to drive up together because he was convinced he'd "get a cramp" or be so slow as to hold me up -- not that I'm fast or anything. We ended up running together nearly the entire time.

The weather played a major role in the race. A Nor'easter was forecasted, with high winds and lots of rain -- and it was chilly. Luckily, it wasn't raining at the start and didn't start raining until about 30 minutes into the race. As the morning went on, it rained heavier and the wind on one side of the river was pretty strong. I dressed properly for the run -- however once I stopped at the finish line I froze. Luckily I had a warm, dry fleece jacket waiting for me at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Had some soup and PB&J -- threw on my dry jacket and headed home. I didn't stop shivering until I got into my hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nada -- it was a fun run with my neighbor

Event comments:

4th time I did this race -- it's close to home and relatively flat. A marathon is also ran the same day -- maybe next year I'll go for the full.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/182
Overall: 945/1266
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around the Merrimack River. Finish is in minor league ball park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-19 1:01 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: Baystate Marathon and Lowell Sun Half-Marathon

2009-10-22 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2467039

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Baystate Marathon and Lowell Sun Half-Marathon

Great to see you got this in, joanne-wish I was up to a 1/2 would have loved to join you-despite the weather. Congrats on running!!Missed seeing you this year at c-berry- maybe feaster this year??

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baystate Marathon and Lowell Sun Half-Marathon Rss Feed