Premier Event Management
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 8s
Overall Rank = 203/302
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 AM and went outside, lots of lightning and then a really bad squall. It cleared up by 4:30. Had Oatmeal for breakfast with a rice krispy square. Left house at 5 and at the race site by 5:30. My wife raced yesterday so packing went easy. Transition area was great, had a lot more room than most local races.
Event warmup:

got in the water a few minutes just to understand the swim course. There was alot of broken rocks in the area where you start and end the swim. I tried to clean it up, but quickly realized it was futile. Kissed wife told her see her on the bike.
Swim
  • 35m 49s
  • 1500 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't push too hard and felt good most of the way. The waves were crowded and I was always in traffic. I prefer it that way as I don't sight well. I got new prescription Barracuda goggles and they rocked. The rocks at the start and end should have been cleaned up before the race.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder on the 2nd loop. Work on drafting. More open water practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

didn't do shoes on pedals as start of bike is real technical. Overall very happy with T1.

get there faster.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 47s
  • 23.7 miles
  • 20.67 mile/hr
Comments:

I was happy with my time. I was almost 6 minutes faster than in August but I am pretty sure the course was a mile longer and it was raining most of the bike last year. Goo fell out of tri suit which was a bummer as I think I might have needed one.

Not lose the goo
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

really good transition.
Run
  • 1h 12m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Melt down, not sure if it was the day before activities or nutrition or what, but I collapsed. I was hoping to break an hour today but by the end of mile 1 I knew it wasn't going to happen. I struggled and was scorching hot the whole time. No sports drink on the run, which was irritating as the cups were gatorade cups and when they only had water I was disappointed. I was stronger on the return portion of both loops but I got whipped. The biggest disappointment was that I had the same 10K time in the Gulf Coast Half Ironman 3 weeks ago and really thought I would be able to improve off that. Very bad blisters from pouring water on my head and getting shoes wet. I really had to fight off mental demons to keep going, but if you can believe it, I didn't walk.

take in some nutrition on the bike. I lost my goo and I probably should have taken the endurolytes before I got to the run.
Post race
Warm down:

watched my wife finish about 2 minutes later. She beat me by 48 seconds and thats after racing the Girl Power Tri yesterday.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I blew up on the run.

Event comments:

Loved the new swim course, its so nice not to get lost, but the shoreline should have been cleaned up.
Did they shorten bike course and not tell me???
No sports drink on the course.

Happy that I improved 11 minutes over last year but disappointed in the run.

Last updated: 2005-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:49 | 1500 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/38
Overall: 157/302
Performance: Good
17:13 first half -144 HR avg 18:36 second half - 139 HR avg HR probably was a little higher as the monitor starts slow and doesn't read that well in the water
Suit: QR Trisuit
Course: Out to the first bouy, than you swam parellel to the shore with numerous post and buoys. You did 2 loops on the buoys and then back to shore. Best marked swim course ever.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:47 | 23.7 miles | 20.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/38
Overall: 83/302
I just adjusted the distance as I got the real distance. They cut the course short by 1.2 miles.
Wind: Some
Course: Double loop on the lakefront. 2 bridges each loop and several turns and circles. I am pretty sure the course of short by a full mile. I did the race last year and the turnaround was a good bit further up. My bike computer had 23.8. It has a couple of bumpy spots but I should be used to them as I have raced on this course 4 times.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:27 | 06.2 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/38
Overall: 251/302
Performance: Bad
Course: double loop on the lakefront. mostly flat with a hill at both turnarounds. Not much shade.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-29 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon

2005-05-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: #165326

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon
Yikes! Sounds like a hard day. I think that here in the South (and everywhere), once the heat and humidity settle in, it makes for a hard day. In August you're more prepared. In May? It's a gut-check. Congrats on finishing. Was this your first OD?

I have my first coming up in a week and I'm anxious to absorb all of the lessons learned.

Edited by lynda 2005-05-29 9:52 PM
2005-05-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: #165326

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA

Ken,

I know your feelings, just about everything you wrote, I agree with.  They should have cleaned that beach up before the race, those rocks at the start are horrible.  We almost identical races, except that you beat me by 3:00 and I also got a 2:00 penalty.

My wife and I did the body markings and chip removal at GirlPower which really took alot out of us, but oh well, we learn from our mistakes hopefully.

Are you planning on doing the Abitaman #2 next weekend?  I am planning on it, hopefully I can redeem myself next weekend.

Edited by H13 2005-05-30 6:36 AM
2005-05-30 6:53 AM
in reply to: #165376

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Our plan is to be at Abitaman next week. I hope all the rain we are gonna get this week doesn't screw up the lake for the race. This is my favorite distance and the course over there is pretty good. Look forward to seeing you there.

Ken
2005-05-30 7:09 AM
in reply to: #165330

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Lynda,

Unfortunately not first Olympic Distance. I haven't figured out the run but I think it probably had something to do with not getting enuff nutrition on the bike. Olympic distance tip, remember with a 10K at the end its not a sprint on the bike

good luck next week, where is your race?

Ken
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon Rss Feed