View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 8h 55m 23s
Overall Rank = 1316/
Age Group = 35-39 Male
Age Group Rank = 328/328
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Made a huge mistake in having a protien & carb smoothie. The milk would come back to haunt me big time. Out the door at 5:30am and at the site by 6
Event warmup:

Basic stretching
Swim
  • 53m 9s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

The washing machine really caught me off guard and I struggled to find some clear water. I continually got off line to the left and had to keep correcting the entire way. Not sure how much extra swimming I did but it seemed like a lot.
What would you do differently?:

It seems I have a much stronger pull on the left, possibly because of the tear in my right shoulder. I should have accounted for this and started way right of the line. I really need to think about things like this more.
Transition 1
  • 11m 19s
Comments:

Took my time in T1. The wet suit stippers were awesome!

At this stage probably nothing. The extra couple of minutes saved by rushing in transition isn't going to help me much until I get better at the actual events
Bike
  • 4h 03m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok so this is where the milk came back to bite me. I started out ok, managing about 20mph and then suddenly around mile 12 or so I became increadibly bloated to the point I couldn't stay aero for more than a minute or two. I also couldn't stomach anything except sips of water or gatorade. Even looking at a gel made me want to vomit. As we got further into the course I really started to struggle, totally lacking in energy. The winds started to pick up and I got even slower. I'd done the course in training at 18mph and was hoping for 16 but didn't even make 14.

Not drink a big cup of milk before a race, spend more time training hills over longer distances
Transition 2
  • 08m
Comments:

Pretty basic. I was well behind the pack by this point so no trouble finding my rack and changing my shoes. Again, took my time knowing I still had 13.1 miles to go.

Nothing really
Run
  • 3h 29m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Really crashed and burned here. Running has always been the hardest for me and given where I'd already been I wasn't even sure I could finish. I'd run the distance a few times in training at 12-13 minute miles so hoped I could do the same but within minutes I realized there wasn;t a chance in hell. I'm pretty sure but this point I was very dehydrated and everything was cramping. Every time I breathed in it felt like a knife stabbing me in the back. This was the hardest thing I'd ever done and the point where I had to dig deeper than I thought possible. I lost count of the number of times I had to convince myself not to quit. I found a nice lady to walk with for the 2nd lap, and we even managed to do a jog 100 paces, walk 25 thing for a while. We both convinced another guy not to drop out when we saw him stop at the end of the 2nd lap. It really became just one foot in front of the other. I stopped thinking about my time, stopped worrying if I was going to make the cutoff, and just remembered what it took for me to get here and how I was going to finish no matter what, clock be damned.

Toooo many things to list here
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough time or training to prepare for this

Event comments:

I have to congratulate all of the people who finished this race and thank the organizers for doing such a wonderful job.

It wasn't until I got there that I realized just how out of my league I was. Not even 6 months ago I was an obese, lazy, asthmatic smoker on blood pressure and cholesterol meds with hardly a thought of doing something like this. I friend convinced me to do a super sprint so with 6 weeks of training I managed to finish and fall in love with the sport. Another friend convinced me I could do a half this year so in June I said what the hell and started training.

The expectation to finish well was unrealistic but I knew no matter what I could drag myself across that finish line and give myself a time to improve on for next year. It was the single most painful, tourturous, emotionally moving, and rewarding day of my life!

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:09 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 324/328
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 11:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:03:31 | 56 miles | 13.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/328
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 08:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:29:21 | 13.1 miles | 15m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 328/328
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %4%
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-26 10:00 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

2009-10-27 2:42 AM
in reply to: #2480861

User image

McLean, Virginia
Subject: RE: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin
Way to hang tough and finish it!!  That is awesome!  That is a long ways to come in a relatively short amount of time, keep up the good work!
2009-10-27 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Houston
Great mental toughness, way to push through and not give up! This is a hard event to train for in that short amount of time, congrats on your first HIM and good luck in your next!
2009-10-27 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

GREAT race report and an amazing journey you have had in the last six months! Keep up the great work!

2009-10-27 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

Great job. Keep up the work and next year you'll have folks looking at your times and thinking how much you are out of their league!

2009-10-30 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Thanks all for the positive feedback and encouragement.
I'm already planning a triumphent return to this race next year, as well as a few sprints, olympics, and maybe, just maybe B2B.  See you all at the races! Smile

2009-10-30 5:02 PM

New user
I trained a bit longer for this but I was still thinking to myself what did I do when I started the run.Surprisingly the run got a lot easier for me as time went on. I think my first lap would have been the slowest and I got faster as I walked less and ran more as time went on and I got my legs back.

Great job on finishing with such short notice! Hope you're still not sore.

Edited by Gawaine79 2009-10-30 5:02 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed