View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 5h 01m 59s
Overall Rank = 207/1991
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 at oats, eggs, yogurt, and fruit. Drove to the race site. Visited the bathroom 5 times.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit, hugged the family, and walked to the water.
Swim
  • 35m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had some issues at the beginning. I was stuck between two people that kept hitting me in the head. Luckily I didn't lose my googles, but it didn't send my HR up too high. Eventually I regained my composure, moved to the inside of the buoys, and found my rhythm. I burped a few times to get rid of the water I took in while I was being pelted in the head. Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful swim. I took it slow b/c I didn't spend much time in the water training for this race. I was really happy with how straight I swam. I didn't get off course once, which I think is a first for me. I can go faster, but need to train a bit more to make that happen.
What would you do differently?:

Start on the inside
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Not terrible considering we had to put our gear into a bag.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 35m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the bike feeling really solid. I didn't push too hard, but at the 20 mile mark I was averaging just under 23 mph, with a moderate effort level. Stayed solid until about mile 45, and really started to slow down. Same thing happened to me at Kansas 70.3. I guess I need to do some more strength work and get in more long rides. I also think I need more nutrition on the bike. I took in 6 gels and about 8 salt tabs. 2 more gels would have been better. It also was a bit warmer later in the ride, and all of those turns on the course took a toll. The difference between Kansas HIM and this one is that I stayed mentally stronger and felt better prepared for the run b/c of it.

Not wear aero helmet, it felt hot later in the ride. Eat a couple more gels.
Transition 2
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Slow, since I put my socks on, but not terrible.

Maybe bring a visor.
Run
  • 1h 44m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the first half mile feeling good, which is usually how I feel coming off the bike. However, I started feeling like I had to pee after that. Somewhere after mile 1, I gave in and hit the port a potty. I went for a full 30 seconds. I guess I was taking in enough water on the bike, which is good, but damn I thought I would never stop. My stomach started feeling bad from mile 2-6 and I had to force down a gel and some salt tabs, all the while drinking water. The Sun and hills were getting to me at this point, but I tried to turn my mind off as much as possible and keep going. Eventually The gel and salt worked their magic and I started feeling much better. I had another gel and some more salt and was running somewhere around 7:30/mile on the flats and trying to stay smooth on the hills. The towels in Walter E Long park were amazing and right on time for the last 2 loops. The band that was playing on the last stretch of road, (the one just after they gave out the flavored ice popcicles) as you headed towards the arena was rocking. It helped my motivation. I was really trying to get under 5 hours, and knew it was going to be close. However, I somehow hit the stop button on my watch at 4:39. I pushed hard the last mile or 2, but didn't quite make it under 5 hours. Something to shoot for next time. I know I can go faster, I just have to get my nutrition dialed in a bit better.

Better nutrition on the bike. Take in a gel a bit earlier on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Looked for an ice bath. Hugged wife and kids, and waited for Johnny to finish. No ice bath so I got some little bags of ice an put them on my hamstrings. I had to drive a rental car back home, and they were killing me the whole ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough nutrition on the bike.

Event comments:

Well run event. I like the Arena finish, but it was pretty dank in their by 2:30. I think Galveston is still a better venue, but this race is more challenging. The only thing I would add is ice baths, like the ones they had waiting for us at Kansas 70.3
Great job Endorfun!

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:10 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 458/1991
Performance: Good
Suit: Rocket Science Sports
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:35:37 | 56 miles | 21.59 mile/hr
Overall: 249/1991
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:44:54 | 13.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 274/1991
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Subject: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin

2009-10-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2481364

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: RE: Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin
solid race reults in all areas. i felt to same way on the bike. once we hit 969 i was running out of gas which lead to me pushing too hard and getting quad cramps. get some quality base rides in over the winter and spring and you will push thru those bike legs next year with plenty of strength. again, great race!
2009-10-29 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
run 5x a week. 2-3 ez 30-40 min runs, 1-2 tempo runs (swap every third week with either mile repeats at the track or hill repeats) and 1 long run per week with a buildup in the last 2 miles for a fast finish. thats how i went from running in the 8s to mid 6s in halfs.
2009-10-30 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Thanks for the advice about the run. It's funny how simple it can be to get faster. Well, at least it looks simple when it's written down.
I have noticed an improvement in my running since I was trying to integrate training for the San Antonio Marathon into my Longhorn training. I ran mid 6s at the US Open Oly two weeks before Longhorn, which was my fastest ever Oly run. I'm hoping to move that closer to 6 on Oly runs and my HIM to mid 6s. I'll just have to do the work.
2009-10-30 12:23 PM

User image

Elite

Fast work. Nice race out there.

2009-11-05 10:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Sweet race man.  You don't get much closer to breaking 5 than that.   Johnny told me you passed him on the run.  Way to go man.  I hope to be keeping up with you two next year.  Anyways, nice race.

2009-11-09 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2500381

User image

Veteran
Little Elm, Texas
Thanks Alex. I went a whopping 13 seconds faster than Johnny
I think you already have me on the bike and the run won't be far behind. We need to get together during the winter for training. I don't want to lose the solid base we have all built.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Longhorn Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed