General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 30m 36s
Overall Rank = 1416/1991
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 68/107
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, ate the usual bagel with PB and had some Gatorade, then off to the race site.
Swim
  • 40m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to avoid getting caught up in a washing machine at all costs, since that usually kills my confidence for a couple hundred yards. Lined up in front and all the way on the outside. Aside from a little leg grabbing here and there this was the least contact I've ever had in a swim. I found myself passing a number of girls in my wave and eventually catching up with people in a wave before mine. There were a couple minutes when I got distracted & zoned out, I had to remind myself I was in a race and neede to pick up the pace. All in all this was a really good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not get distracted & stay focused.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

This was a long, slow T1. The wetsuit strippers were great!

Could have been a little speedier heading up the hill.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.74 mile/hr
Comments:

This wasn't by best ride and it wasn't my worst. My plan was to stay conservative on the bike so I could have a stong run, and stick to my nutrition plan. The first 10 miles flew by! I held a solid pace of 18.5mph, which was pushing it a little more than planned. I felt good but dialed it back a bit. At this point I also noticed that my tool bag came loose and wasn't holding on by much. What to do, what to do. I contemplated pulling the velcro loose the leaving it on the side of the road, and I actually secretly hoped the velcro would come loose and fall off on its own. In the end I left it alone and it managaed to hang on the rest of the ride. With rough roads and 46-ish miles to go I thought there was a good chance I might need it. After the first aid station (@ mile 12) it seemed like the wind really kicked it and was there to stay the remainder of the ride. I've never experienced headwind like this during training, so that was definitely a learning experience. It felt neverending and relentless! The miles continued to fly by and I managed to take in the scenery around me, and kept thinking to myself how much I love riding. I was definitely hydrating well (which has been a problem all season) bc by mile 40 I had to pee in a bad way. I was actually kind of excited bc I thought I'd finally have a chance to pee while riding. I tried, and I tried, and I tried for almost 10 miles, and no dice.

I stuck to my nutrition plan like clockwork. It may have taken all season to nail it down, but I've certainly got it now. I've noticed that while I "like" GE while I'm training, come race day I detest even the sight of it.

Despite the rough roads and the cracks that looked like they wanted to eat my bike, I really like the course. I was passed by more people than I care to count, but for once I didn't care and focused on my plan for the day.

Start out a little easier. More than anything else though, I just need more time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Made it to my rack only to find the whole area packed. I had to move my neighbor's bikes to the side to even fit mine in. Grabbed my visor, endurolytes & chomps and I was out of there.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 09m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt awesome going into the run! I don't think my legs have ever felt this good coming off the bike. Had to keep reminding myself to keep the pace super easy for the first loop. The sun was out in full force by the end of my first loop and stayed out for the remainder of the run, and man was it hot! Half way into the 2nd loop I could feel myself starting to fade and my lower back was getting pretty sore. Took a couple endurolytes and had some coke which helped a little. From here on out it was far harder mentally than physically. I started to let myself walk up some of the hills, and a I gave in a couple times when I could have kept running. When I finally hit the split for the finish shute my legs instantly felt lighter and my pace picked way up, I was so happy to finish.

HTFU and not give in to walking. Going into the run I was well on track for a PR. Even with 5k to go, if I didn't walk at all I could have done it.

Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher's medal, towel, water bottle & ice pops (these were key!), and met up with everyone. Sat down for a few minutes and eventually got some food. The post-race food was a little bit of a letdown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness level was definitely at its peak about 2 months ago. I need more time in the saddle, more long rides and maybe more/longer transition runs.

Event comments:

For my 2nd HIM (only 2 months afer the 1st) I'm happy with how my day went. Aside from wanting to PR, I didn't set any times goals for this race. I was just under 2 minutes slower than last time, BUT I felt a million times better throughout the day. My nutrition was spot on for once, and I think I finally nailed down precisely what works and what doesn't.

Last updated: 2009-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/107
Overall: 0/1991
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Fuzion
Course: counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:33:26 | 56 miles | 15.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 87/107
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Single loop, lots of turns & rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:09:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/107
Course: 3 loops with rolling hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-28 2:18 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival

2009-10-29 6:56 AM
in reply to: #2484697

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival
Great race Kelli! It was great meeting you and your mom! Now that you've got the nutrition/hydration figured out, 2010 better watch out
2009-10-29 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
YEAH Kelli! You really had an awesome race! Very impressive and so soon after Timberman!
2009-10-29 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Fab race!  You are so my female tri idol right now. 

I mean, you and Chrissie Wellington.  It's a short list.  Oh ya, but you're a real human.
2009-10-29 8:56 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Awesome race!!! 2 months apart and you were still rocking it. Glad you finally got this posted. Yes you do have fans.
2009-10-30 9:27 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Essentially back-to-back HIM's!  You rock KD!  Awesome job!  Keep up the super solid training! Maybe a return trip to Austin for 2010 or even better!  Lonestar in Galveston ~ super flat and fast!  just sayin'

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed