General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 32s
Overall Rank = 129/378
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel chugged some coffee and diet pepsi then drove over to my sister's from my dad and step moms. switched cars, drove downtown and hopped the ferry over to the battleship. milled around and portopottied things...then got over to the start line.
Event warmup:

stretched a bit
Run
  • 29m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and humid during the race. And I started in the back with my sister so had to pass tons to get ahead and unfortunately got hung up a few times with packs in front of me. HR was a bit high but I felt ok until the bridge... whew! I was hot and wearing a cotton baseball cap made my head feel like an oven. And I didn't save enough juice to finish stronger but I went into it figuring I'd run with my sister and at the last minute she told me to just run my own race and not to hang back with her. I wore my Donkai jersey so I felt faster ;)
What would you do differently?:

Would have seeded myself toward the front. I was 7 seconds behind 3rd place. I was not too pleased with my speed either but considering the heat and humidity, I did ok.
Post race
Warm down:

waiting for sister and cheered her into the finish. she didn't feel very well so we hung out a bit and drank some water etc... we gave our beer tix away because A. we don't drink and B. it was 9 am. Had it been 20 some odd years ago, I would have probably imbibed before the race LOL

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of leg strength for hills, hr spiking in heat and being at back of pack.

Event comments:

Would do this again or do the 1/2. Great venue in Wilmington NC. Plus for me, it's a great way to see family too. Just wish my dad was feeling better so he could have walked the race with us.

Last updated: 2009-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:32 | 03.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 129/378
Performance: Average
Course: loop from Battleship out thru some marsh areas, and over and back on a bridge that was freakin' huge and steep!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-02 9:41 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed