Amica
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 46s
Overall Rank = 39/62
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

*** On ranks I went with the athena division. For overall I wan't ranked but I tried to see where I would have fit by using my time. ***

I was not feeling fresh and ready for this race. The night before was Halloween so I ate poorly and had a couple glasses of wine. I had also come off two days of pretty hard exercise. This was not ideal. This race was not originally on my calendar but my bro-in-law wanted to do it b/c he can't do this week's race. I decided at the last minute to go for but I should have thought out my training schedule better.

I did go to bed early and try to hydrate myself. I got up at 5:00 and was out the door by 5:30. Got some coffee and oatmeal and headed up north. I was a little frustrated that I wasn't more prepared. I should have mapped the event instead of relying on their directions. If I had I could have taken a more direct route and got there a little earlier.

When I arrived at the race I had to walk a ways with my bike and equipment. I felt rushed b/c I decided to get my stuff race morning. When I got to the table I realized I forgot my temporary triathlon card so I had to buy a new one. Bummer.

Once I got my stuff I had to scramble to get my stuff together. I was pretty focused though and the ladies near me were very nice. No real attitudes like you get at some races from neighboring racers. I didn't see my bro-in-law until I had cleared transition with my wetsuit.

I was suprised to see the race was so small. I think there were only like 300 races. 62 in the women category and 4 athenas. I was also shocked there were not chips at a championship event.
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 29m 30s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim is always a crazy time for me. I was calmer than I had been a other races b/c I had just had a successful splash n dash. This water was much more clear and I had a lot of visibility under the water. I did well going to the first buoy and actually felt myself passing people. My heart rate went up and I felt like flipping to my back but I kept on going. I rounded the first buoy in good shape. i ran into trouble with the second buoy. I got into a groove and kept swimming. I lifeguard redirected me b/c I was swimming into the center of the triangle. That flustered me a little and I over corrected. My sighting obviously needs some work. I think I zigzagged the whole way to the next buoy. I started to get frustrated but I tried to pretend it was just practice. When I rounded the second buoy it was easier to sight b/c of the shore line. I finished and i knew I didn't do great but I also knew I wasn't the last one out of the water. I was ok. My swim is a work in progress. The Positives are that I didn't freak out (and I knew I was on the verge of it) and I kept in a rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

A few things: (1) I really need to figure out my sighting issues. Probably every 3 to instead of every 10 strokes. (2) I also need to keep practicing my OWS. I think I just need more confidence in the water. (3) I need to practice being ok with contact in the water. I don't like it! I notice I don't know what to do when I get hit.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No chip timing my swim time included the transition. After we got out of the water we had to go up a long steep boat ramp and get out of my wetsuit. I did manage to get it half way down on my way up the boat ramp. I did pass a couple other swimmers in transition.

I would have ran up the ramp instead of walk. I would of had some gu with me. Forgot that.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 20s
  • 17 miles
  • 13.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough bike course but I'm happy with my performance. It was two laps of a hilly course and I had to work it. I'm slow going up and fast going down. I had some trouble shifting from my little ring to my big ring. Towards the end of my ride I had to balance and shift with both hands! Crazy. I felt like I was able to make up some time in this area.

I need to really work on my hills. Lose some weight!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt ok with this. One of my neighbors had a bucket so I sat on that to put my shoes on. I thought is went ok. I needed some nutrition at this point. can't forget again!

Be faster
Run
  • 35m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My time is very slow compared to my usual runs. I ended up walking all the steep hills and jogging the flats and downhills. My legs were hurtin' from the bike hills so I figured what the heck. Looking back now, i wish I would have pushed it more and run up the hills.

Run more
Post race
Warm down:

walked to the food. I sat and chatted with some folks. I liked the atmosphere. Was anxious to see who won the Athena division. There were many more "Athenas" than I had seen at past races. After seeing the Athena division it is clear many of them chose to race in Age Division. I was shocked when the called my name as a winner. I started laughing b/c I couldn't believe it. I have to admit, I really dug it! I got a cool trophy and people were excited for me. I think it was the pick me up I needed going into our 20 week mark.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

weight, gear issue, and swim sighting. I should have taken it a little easier before the race. I was logging some serious activity. No the smartest.

Event comments:

Post race food good! Awards good. MC was great. Nice shirt & water bottle.

Last updated: 2009-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:30 | 880 yards | 03m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 56/62
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nineteen wetsuit
Course: triangle buoy swim going counter clockwise. When finished long steep boatramp to go up into transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:20 | 17 miles | 13.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 39/62
Performance:
Wind:
Course: two laps of a hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:54 | 03.11 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 36/62
Performance: Below average
Course: Same hilly course
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-02 11:33 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Subject: Amica Championship

2009-11-03 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2494543

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Amica Championship
Congrats Kate! Enjoyed your race report! See how easy swimming is, you are getting over your fear. Did you get a trophy or plaque?
Amazing no chips. Edit your race time in the report it says 7 hours hehe .
2009-11-03 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
I think it's so cool you won. Hey it's not like you were the only Athena too right so it's very legit! I'm so proud you're handling the swim so well now. Sounds like a tough race overall, but practicing those hills is always a good thing. Keep it up!
2009-11-03 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Awesome race & first place - sweeeeeet! You are getting some great race experience in for your half. It'll seem like a piece of cake after all this...
2009-11-03 5:37 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Congratulations!! Sounds like you had a great race

2009-11-07 7:49 AM

New user

Hey Kate

Congratulations on your win! I saw how surprised you were when they called your name. GREAT JOB!. I came in 3rd of the Athenas and I can relate to everything you said in your report. I was also surprised that there were only 4 of us registered as Athenas. Oh well - too bad for them.

I had the same zigzag issues in the swim. This was my second tri in a month and I had the same problem in the first one. I don't think it's a sighting issue for me - seems to be a problem with imbalanced stroke or something.  I'll get it figured out before the next one though.

The bike was definitely tough - LONG slow hills. But thank goodness for the downhills. It did feel good to be able to ride the whole thing without walking - did you see all the walkers on the second time around?

The run part is what really killed me - I injured my Achilles tendon in the race at the end of September and it has not healed yet. I thought it was good to go, but when I got to the run, I discovered that it was still very unhappy. I could run the flats and downhills, but it would not run uphill. Oh well - I had a good time and considering that I didn't train at all for the month between the two races, I figure I did pretty well.

So - I noticed that you live in Phoenix - and it seems like your goals are very close to mine - not to mention it looks like we are close in ability/speed/etc. so if you are interested and if we live anything like near each other - I'm up for a training buddy. Email me if you think you might be interested.

Adrianne Spoerlein 
[email protected]

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Amica Championship Rss Feed