in reply to: #2496649

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Must read books
1. Anything by Oscar Wilde

One of my favorite quotes of all time:

"I think God in creating man somewhat overestimated his abilities."

2. Anything by George Bernald Shaw.

Ms. Warren's Profession is, by far, one of my favorite plays.  What's not to like about him?  He's Scottish, afterall.

3. Huckleberry Finn.

That book was banned from my school district because of racist language.  Talk about missing the forest for the trees.  What a travesty.

4. Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland series.

This book gets overlooked and I just don't understand why.  Aside from being incredibly clever, I think it's an extremely insightful book.  I guess a young girl's incisive commentary on the human condition lacks the same literary value of an obsessed captain quest for a white whale.  Oh well.

Edited by Johners 2009-11-04 2:41 PM

2009-11-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2497247

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
puellasolis - 2009-11-04 1:24 PM   Personally, I'm a big believer in having a well-rounded education, and I get that not everyone feels the same way.

I agree 100% as long as I don't have to read Ayn Rand. I tried once. She makes me rather annoyed.

If I were to do college again I would go liberal arts to Masters instead of going straight into a course of study directly related to a career.

I think you know I was just teasing you. I find the mind of an educated and bright woman very attractive, sort of like many women feel about a man's sense of humour. So, hello sexy!! WinkWink

I've probably just been banned. Innocent

I don't feel bad by the way (but thanks for the support!). I am not as widely read as she is but in general hold my own. Martini's for all.   

Edited by blairrob 2009-11-04 2:50 PM
2009-11-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2497697

Johners - 2009-11-04 3:36 PM

Ms. Warren's Profession is, by far, one of my favorite plays.  What's not to like about him?  He's Scottish, afterall.

Besides, the play is about a prostitute (or rather a madam), what else do you need?

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-11-04 2:49 PM
2009-11-04 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2497718

User image

Veteran
wurkit_gurl - 2009-11-04 2:49 PM

Johners - 2009-11-04 3:36 PM

Besides, the play is about a prostitute (or rather a madam), what else do you need?

That too.
2009-11-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2497685

User image

Mountain View, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-11-04 12:33 PM

Okay, fine, so they weren't all your favorites - must-read may be different from favorite, however, I'd expect that a lot of books one MIGHT suggest as a "must read" would be things that they enjoyed in some way. And I wasn't saying that your list is wrong or bad. Just trying to allay the worries of the guy who felt bad for not having read Rousseau and Locke, etc. And I was correct - the list you put down was from a class you took that you enjoyed Not saying it's bad, and I'm not saying you shouldn't be well-rounded. I've read a TON of different stuff from all sorts of genres and schools of thought, including a bunch of stuff from your list and all the other lists people mentioned here. So if I were to make a list of "must-reads", I'd either focus on one or two genres (like you did, partly), or pick just one or two examples from each, neither of which would be sufficient to cover all of the good stuff that's out there. That was merely my point.

Yeah, I got that, I was just clarifying. And you're right, I did enjoy them all in some way.

I was of two minds about putting some of those books up there because, like you, I don't want anyone to feel bad for not having read (or for having no interest in reading) Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, etc. I should have made that clearer in my original post. I'm rather self-conscious about being such a nerd and finding political philosophy so interesting; I don't want my interest in and valuing of this sort of thing to come off as a condemnation of other interests.
2009-11-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2497715

User image

Mountain View, CA
blairrob - 2009-11-04 12:46 PM

puellasolis - 2009-11-04 1:24 PM   Personally, I'm a big believer in having a well-rounded education, and I get that not everyone feels the same way.

I agree 100% as long as I don't have to read Ayn Rand. I tried once. She makes me rather annoyed.

If I were to do college again I would go liberal arts to Masters instead of going straight into a course of study directly related to a career.

I think you know I was just teasing you. I find the mind of an educated and bright woman very attractive, sort of like many women feel about a man's sense of humour. So, hello sexy!! WinkWink

I don't feel bad by the way (but thanks for the support!). I am not as widely read as she is but in general hold my own. Martini's for all.   

I figured it was in good fun but as I said in my response to wurkit, I sometimes worry that my nerdgasm over this sort of thing comes across as hoity-toity, when that's not how it's intended at all. Glad that all's well.

I have never actually had a martini. Maybe we should start a "must-try drinks" thread...

2009-11-04 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2497743

puellasolis - 2009-11-04 4:01 PM

I figured it was in good fun but as I said in my response to wurkit, I sometimes worry that my nerdgasm over this sort of thing comes across as hoity-toity, when that's not how it's intended at all. Glad that all's well. I have never actually had a martini. Maybe we should start a "must-try drinks" thread...

Hehe, I liked your nerdgasm Some people are nerdy about books and some people are nerdy about computers or science or whatever. The computer/techy threads always make me feel dumb, fwiw.

Martinis are AWESOME. Hehe, actually, when I was in college, at my crazy theatre school, we DID actually read a lot of philosophy, and when we'd study, we'd stay up all night drinking wine and somehow it made everything a lot clearer, as those of us who studied with the booze did better than those who studied without. Just an interesting observation

2009-11-04 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
puellasolis - 2009-11-04 5:01 PM

I figured it was in good fun but as I said in my response to wurkit, I sometimes worry that my nerdgasm over this sort of thing comes across as hoity-toity, when that's not how it's intended at all. Glad that all's well. I have never actually had a martini. Maybe we should start a "must-try drinks" thread...

Well, given we are on an internet forum we must all have some degree of nerdism. I think you should be thankful and proud of your intellect and knowledge. I used to be embarrassed in school around my tastes in music and literature, or felt different in an unpleasant way because I didn't like watching the same TV shows other folks did and couldn't talk about it the next day. Well, scratch that. None of my oldest friends will go to the opera with me, but I don't hide that I go as I once did. Revel in your uniqueness ( and, once in while, iniquity).

Edited by blairrob 2009-11-04 3:22 PM
2009-11-04 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2497767

blairrob - 2009-11-04 4:12 PM   Well, given we are on an internet forum we must all have some degree of nerdism. I think you should be thankful and proud of your intellect and knowledge. I used to be embarrassed in school around my tastes in music and literature, or felt different in an unpleasant way because I didn't like watching the same TV shows other folks did and counldn't talk about it the next day. Well, scratch that. None of my oldest friends will go to the opera with me, but I don't hide that I go as I once did. Revel in your uniqueness ( and, once in while, iniquity).    

That. Hot.

2009-11-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2497776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
wurkit_gurl - 2009-11-04 5:14 PM

blairrob - 2009-11-04 4:12 PM   Well, given we are on an internet forum we must all have some degree of nerdism. I think you should be thankful and proud of your intellect and knowledge. I used to be embarrassed in school around my tastes in music and literature, or felt different in an unpleasant way because I didn't like watching the same TV shows other folks did and counldn't talk about it the next day. Well, scratch that. None of my oldest friends will go to the opera with me, but I don't hide that I go as I once did. Revel in your uniqueness ( and, once in while, iniquity).    

That. Hot.

apparently a little dorkiness isn't all bad Cool
2009-11-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2495365

User image

Veteran
Everyone is a nerd.  People who aren't at least a little bit nerdy are terribly boring to be around.

2009-11-04 3:36 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

puellasolis -  I have never actually had a martini. Maybe we should start a "must-try drinks" thread...

The drink of choice in Philadelphia tonight is the Pedro Martini. Yankee fans prefer it shaken.

Nothing to add to the book list. I need to keep working on the one puellasolis posted.

And I add a yes for opera.

Edited by dontracy 2009-11-04 3:36 PM
2009-11-04 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2497861

User image

I love most of the books already mentioned, especially Tolkien. I was happy to see that I am not the only one who has read them more than six times. I am not sure of how many times I have read them, but it is at least that many.

For some reason, this thread made me think of the classic book "Canadian Mounted". Anyone know the reference?

2009-11-04 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2497767

User image

Mountain View, CA
blairrob - 2009-11-04 1:12 PM

puellasolis - 2009-11-04 5:01 PM

Well, given we are on an internet forum we must all have some degree of nerdism. I think you should be thankful and proud of your intellect and knowledge. I used to be embarrassed in school around my tastes in music and literature, or felt different in an unpleasant way because I didn't like watching the same TV shows other folks did and couldn't talk about it the next day. Well, scratch that. None of my oldest friends will go to the opera with me, but I don't hide that I go as I once did. Revel in your uniqueness ( and, once in while, iniquity).

Oh, I'm certainly thankful for the opportunities I've had to learn about what interests me. And I'm certainly not ashamed of having the interests that I do--at least not anymore. But I've never seen anything special about my "intellect," so I guess I don't really see it as something to be proud of.

And x2 on what wurkit said re: opera.
2009-11-04 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2498059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
puellasolis - And x2 on what wurkit said re: opera.

I'm moving to America. Here you are looked at rather oddly, in a 'get away from my kids' sort of way if you mention that word.

Don, I envy you.Cool
2009-11-04 6:38 PM

User image

Regular
Port St. Lucie
Worth Reading
As She Climbed Across the Table (Jonathn Lethem)
Blink (Malcolm Gladwell)
Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
CivilWarLand in Bad Decline (George Saunders)
Death of a Writer (Michael Collins)
Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World (anything by Haruki Murakami)
In Defense of Food (Michael Pollen)
Keepers of the Truth (Michael Collins)
Motherless Brooklyn (Jonathan Lethem)
My Year of Meats (Ruth Ozeki)
Pastoralia (George Saunders)
Pattern Recognition (William Gibson)
Persepolis (Marjane Satrapi)
Soul Mountain (Gao Xingjian)
Spook Country (William Gibson)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery-- just finished this)
The Jump Off Creek (Molly Gloss)
Time Enough for Love (anything by Robert Heinlein)
The Road (Carmac McCarthy)
The Star of Algiers (Aziz Chouaki)
The Time Traveller's Wife (Audrey Niffennegger)
White Teeth (Zadie Smith)

2009-11-04 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2498127

User image

blairrob -

I'm moving to America. Here you are looked at rather oddly, in a 'get away from my kids' sort of way if you mention that word.

Don, I envy you.Cool

I know I stir up negative emotions in some people. I think this is the first time that envy is one of them.

We have a great classical music tradition here in Philadelphia.  I've been privileged to work in the business some as a photographer and have gotten to know some marvelous musicians, including opera singers.

Opera singers have the most difficult of instruments to perform with.  What it takes to produce that sound is miraculous.

2009-11-04 7:03 PM
in reply to: #2498152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
dontracy - 2009-11-04 8:47 PM

We have a great classical music tradition here in Philadelphia.  I've been privileged to work in the business some as a photographer and have gotten to know some marvelous musicians, including opera singers.

Opera singers have the most difficult of instruments to perform with.  What it takes to produce that sound is miraculous.

If I recall correctly the first classical recording I owned (if we exclude Tubby the Tuba which I received as a toddler!)  was Ormandy's Carmina Burana with your symphony. You do have a great tradition there and I am glad you and others help to enrich it. 

And I'm still enviousEmbarassed.  
2009-11-04 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Most anything by Faulkner, especially As I Lay Dying and The Unvanquished.

Most anything by Poe. 

Lately,   The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

You want nerd?   I double majored in college in math and physics.   Lately, I have just finished getting a B.A in English.    Just for the bloody hell and joy of it....

2009-11-04 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2498127

User image

Expert
A Husker stuck in VA
blairrob - 2009-11-04 7:21 PM
puellasolis - And x2 on what wurkit said re: opera.

Don, I envy you.Cool

Dude, I will trade places with you.  I loved Halifax for the short four day stay we had there.... the Liquor Dome and the Lighthouse come to mind as places I spent a lot of time and money! 
2009-11-04 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2498176

User image

blairrob -

If I recall correctly the first classical recording I owned (if we exclude Tubby the Tuba which I received as a toddler!)  was Ormandy's Carmina Burana with your symphony. You do have a great tradition there and I am glad you and others help to enrich it. 

And I'm still enviousEmbarassed.  

To file under the "small coincidental world" column.

Just a short while ago, while watching the World Series, they ran an ad for the upcoming new Robin Williams movie.

O Fortuna, from Carmina Burana was playing as the soundtrack.

Go figure.

2009-11-04 10:23 PM

Expert
Behind you
Anything by Larry Flint and Michael Moore

done.
2009-11-04 10:38 PM
in reply to: #2498269

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NavyTRIChief -
Dude, I will trade places with you.  I loved Halifax for the short four day stay we had there.... the Liquor Dome and the Lighthouse come to mind as places I spent a lot of time and money! 

I think its extremely important that we note for the record that I have never been*** to the Lighthouse Strip Club or the Liquor Dome. And for the record, the Lighthouse is now closed. Apparently the, ahem, 'entertainers' left for Rhode Island. Something about "that's where the big money is". I don't know what they meant by that.

***in the last few years 

2009-11-04 10:59 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-11-05 12:08 AM

New user
x2 or x3 for Kafka's "The Trial"--I read it last summer and now I can't stop seeing echoes of it everywhere I go...

I liked Junot Diaz's short story collection "Drown" but I hated "Brief and Wonderous Life..." (I couldn't manage to finish it.)

My quick picks for "must reads" go to:

"The Collected Stories of John Cheever"
"Jesus' Son" by Denis Johnson
and
"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien

My "must reads" for high school kids are:
"The Lord of the Flies" by Golding
"A Separate Peace" by Knowles
"The Catcher in the Rye" by Salinger
"Death of a Salesman" by Miller
"The Crucible" by Miller
and, well,
"The Things They Carried" by O'Brien

My 'pretentious picks' are:
Dostoevsky's "Notes from the Underground"
Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina"
and
Faulkner's "Absalom, Absalom!"

"Chick Lit":
"Emma" by Jane Austen

Huge props to the thread starter and the contributors to the thread--have I mentioned lately how much I love the BT community???

-laugher

Edited by laughingman 2009-11-05 12:09 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Must read books Rss Feed  

of 5