General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Antonio, Texas
United States
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 55m 52s
Overall Rank = 14616/20021
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1195/1784
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am not feeling very rested. Not a very good night sleep- a bit warm at Mammaw's. Ate oatmeal, 1/2 banana. Headed out the door by 5am packed for the day. Parked at the At&T Center and took the shuttle to the race start. Very well organized. Thank God for port-a-potties. Used it just before getting on the bus. The transportation dept in San Antonio must have had every bus line at this thing.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit once we got to the race site. Man, there was a lot of people. 32,000 had signed up. That's a whole bunch of people. Saw Lilly and Laura before they started. It was their first half. I was so proud of them for doing it. Wished them good luck and went to my coral (#28). Kissed Mike and bid him farewell as he went up to coral #8. After standing in another port-a-potty line for 20 more minutes and walking around trying to find Pamela, my feet were sore even before I started the race. Not good. Found Pamela and we ran together for a good part of the race. Where is the cool weather?
Run
  • 2h 55m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off with sore feet. That was from standing around and waiting for port-a-potties and our coral to cross the start line. It was down right humid and hot based on the training conditions I've experienced so far. I got overheated too early. Cytomax is not my drink for running. I drank some at the first 2 aid stations and that was it. Water and gels after that. I tried to keep up with Pamela but I just didn't have the energy. By mile 5, she pulled away from me. Got a text from Mike- "mile 10". I as at 5.5. My coral started almost 40 minutes after his. I just kept plugging away. I was going to finish no matter what. Each hill I walked. At a few points I could look either way down a street and see another leg of the course- some before me and some after. I started off the day doing my 5 and 1 run/walk. Because of how tired I felt, I just finally went to running when I felt like it and walking when I felt like I needed it. No worries. My hip flexers started to ache at about mile 6. Yikes! Then the feet- boy did they start to hurt too. My bunions (big toes) were very tender. I'm wondering about my shoes and arch supports.

The crowd was great. So many spectators! Mike's cousin was on the course with a bunch of other people. Pretty funny at 9 am- they say they were drunk. Oh the days of being young....
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race start and sit!!!! Rest my feet and legs before starting. Duh! I was on my feet probably as long as the marathoners. I might check my shoes and arch supports before Austin full. I tried on a pair of shoes at the expo. Expensive but they did feel good. I may try them before Austin- Brooks something...
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish, I looked for Mike and Pamela. Saw them both along with Heath. Apparently Diana was there as well as Emily. Emily said she saw me at the start. I didn't see her. Boy was I glad to be done. I really felt hot at that point. I tried to stretch a big- bent down to stretch achillies and quads. Ouch. But I finished! I had to wait on my good friends Laura and Lilly. They were about 45 minutes after me finishing but they did it. Wow!!! Now they can officially say they are half marathoners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Tired feet from the start. Weather- humid and hot.

Event comments:

Very well supported and attended. It's just so big. 32000 some odd people is a lot of people. We'll see if I'll do it again. Not sure yet.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:55:52 | 13.1 miles | 13m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1195/1784
Overall: 14616/20021
Performance: Below average
Course: Meandered through a few neighborhoods but did most of the race in downtown area. Stone and asphalt streets.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-16 10:04 PM

User image

Subject: Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon

2009-11-16 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2516984

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon
Hey, you finished and not a bad time given the training and less than stellar conditions.

From here, you just get stronger and better.

(Good shoes do make a difference. Tell Mike to cut loose with some cash.)
2009-11-18 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX

Great job Kari!  Running with sore feet is no fun, but you did it!  Congrats!

2009-12-03 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
We should have just run together.  The fees from all the texting back and forth must be crazy not to mention all the time we spent walking to send the texts.  Great job, that was a much tougher race than it should have been.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon Rss Feed