FirstHealth Center for Health & Fitness
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 23s
Overall Rank = 16/107
Age Group = 40 - 49
Age Group Rank = 4/26
Pre-race routine:

Had egg white protein powder drink with a banana and a spoonful of all natural peanut butter about 3 hours before race start.
Event warmup:

Did some light jogging and stretching.
Run
  • 51m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off fairly hard and and tried to hold on, which I managed fairly well with the exception of the inclines.

There was a lady who managed to pass me somewhere after the halfway point. I remembered last time that happened I took the spot back, but this time I didn't have it in me to chase her down. She was within my sight all the way to the finish. Turned out she took 3rd place AG. I was 4th. (sigh) I guess I should have tried harder to take that spot back.

But, all's well the ends well and this was a PR for me!!! I beat my last 10K time by 3 min. I'll take it!

Photobucket

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

I don't think I would do anything differently. I always wonder if I could have pushed harder, but I was pretty maxed out (I think). Even though that lady was in sight, I just don't know that I could have cranked it up enough to pass her back. Pushing harder is the only thing I could do differently (besides speed work), and I'm still working on that. Still learning to push the limit and hold onto it beyond the level of discomfort.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off and did some stretches.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to read my body accurately. When I "think" I am maxed out is when I probably need to push a little harder. I just don't think I'm quite getting "there" yet; I think I'm holding on short of "it". Whatever "it" is. Not sure if that makes sense...

Maybe if I learn more about heart rate zones and lactate threshold, I'll be able to figure out what/where "it" is. I don't want to leave anything out there.

What I mean is... "when am I pushing hard enough?"

There have been a couple of threads on this subject that I need to re-read, but I'm sure this also has to do with experience.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race and would do it again. The only complaint is that there were only two porta-pots plus the restrooms that were inside the sports center for 1000 runners plus however many spectators.

Last updated: 2009-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/26
Overall: 16/107
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Course was not closed, but personally I had no issues. Route was scenic with one steep hill and a few inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-22 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: 29th Annual Turkey Trot 10K

2009-11-25 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2525684

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: 29th Annual Turkey Trot
Great race Maria. Congrats on the PR!

Everybody's different but back when I was trying to fun fast open 10ks, the way I solved the effort problem was:

1. I'd go out in the first mile at a pace I knew I couldn't hold for 10k. I would ignore all feedback until I crossed the Mile 1 point where I'd check my split.

2. Depending on that split and how I felt I'd back my pace off a little to something that I thought I'd have like a 20% chance of holding if I had a breakout day.

3. I'd try to hold that pace with everything I had.

4. If I started slipping, I switch to 2 minute on / 2 minute off intervals which I knew allowed me to hold overall pace longer than a constant effort. (I had my watch set to a two minute repeat timer before the race.)

I know most people advocate different pacing strategies but for me using this method gave me immediate faster times and I never finished thinking I hadn't given everything.

But I'm not saying this will work for anyone but me. In athletics I'm a bit of a head case and so I play head games with myself. For example, the fast first mile motivates me and gives me hope for a breakout run. Then, switching to the 2/2 intervals allows me to push harder knowing I get to rest in two mintues. Then during the rest interval, I feel like I'm messing up by slacking so I end up not resting much. The end result is that my overall mile pace ends up higher than if I just tried to hang onto a contant painful pace.
2009-12-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2525684

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: 29th Annual Turkey Trot
Thank you for the insight!  I love reading all the threads about people's 5K and 10K strategies!!! 

I've gotten into the habit of holding steady and use a pace alarm to tell me if I'm slowing down.  I'll have to test the interval theory and see how that works for me.  Another of our BTers did a run/walk test and found he was actually faster that way (early in training); so I should at least give intervals a try.

But for now, I need to figure out what strategy for a half marathon.  I was planning on finding the pace for my goal and just holdming onto it, but not sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 29th Annual Turkey Trot 10K Rss Feed