Blue Sky (sometimes) Sports
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 1s
Overall Rank = 144/222
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

The race was about a 3 hour drive away so I got up at 3:00 and left the house at 3:45. I got to the site at about 6:30. I ate just 2 double packs of fig newtons and some milk. Just before I got to the venue I got some coffee at McDonalds.
Event warmup:

After picking up my packet and getting my transition laid out I did something I've never done before which was a warm up run. I only did about a quarter mile but this was a first for me. I ran without socks because I planned to go sockless for the race and wanted to feel it one more time before committing to the strategy. I also did a short swim just before the start.
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was in the second wave consisting of 40+ males. I had a good swim. I kept right on course and after some minor tangles at the start was able to find clear water most of the way. One guy near me was going about the same speed and occasionally was swerving into me, but I ditched him at the final buoy. Also at near the final buoy some of the women, about 3 or 4, passed me. The waves were 3 minutes apart.
What would you do differently?:

I enjoyed the swim and was a little out of breath running up the hill to transition but I think I wouldn't change anything. I did a lot of training for the swim. One thing I am interested in is finding out how much the Xcel wetsuit helps me on the swim time. If I do an experiment and find the difference is small or none, it will go. I can swim in cold water without it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This is where I'm embarrassed. I started to have a great T1 transition; I came into transition and found my bike easily, I put on my bike shoes sans socks, I put on my helmet and glasses, I grabbed my bike and out I ran past the timing matt and then I realized I still had my shorty wetsuit on! Oh no! I couldn't go back over the timing matt. I couldn't lay my bike down because my aero bottle would spill. There was nothing to lean my bike on. Finally someone offered to hold my bike upright while I popped the suit off, over the shoes, and tossed it back into a blank space in the bike rack area. Was it outside help, yes, did it cost me about a half a minute (which is added to the bike because I was past the T1 timing matt), yes, enough said.

Take off my wet suit IN the transition area, DUH!

I really had a fast transition going. I'm using MTB shoes with SPD's and I put on the shoes right at my rack spot just like with the running shoes and then run in the bike shoes with no trouble. SPD's are my way of doing this from now on until another better runnable shoe and pedal system is available at a reasonable price. I really like the SPD's and I use the same shoes with my mountain bike.
Bike
  • 38m 30s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I actually ran out of fluid which is unusual for me. I usually forget to drink and try to drink a lot just at the bike finish. I pushed it hard on this ride hoping to crack 20 mph but didn't even make it to 19 mph average.

I am getting faster I just thought I was ready to pass the 20 mph milestone on this relatively easy course. I need to ride more and really lose weight.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I'm actually surprised that this time isn't lower. I probably was just reluctant to start the run. I popped off the bike shoes at the rack and then went right into the running shoes sans socks. But I spent too much time putting two Gatorade flasks in my back pockets and getting my race number and hat on.

Practice more, this should have been around 35 seconds or so.
Run
  • 32m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started easy and then when I reached the big muddy hill I walked. Yes, I walked up that hill because it was very steep and the people acting like they were running in front of me were not going any faster up the hill than my walk pace and I was saving heartbeats. I really questioned why I do triathlons going up that long slightly uphill road section. It was hard and I needed a break.

Well it turned out that the run through the bog area was easy and I got my heart rate back under control and I started to run faster. On the final 1.1 miles I got even faster or what passes for fast for me. The first mile through the woods was 11:16, the second mile including the unending hill was 10:48, The final 1.1 miles was 10:14 which is a pace of 9:30, a very good pace for me. I finished by sprinting across the finish line as hard as I could run. I've had too many previous events where someone tried or did nip me at the end so I now look around to see how close anyone is and then take off.

I just need to run more and lose weight.
Post race
Warm down:

After eating some of the meager Tri the Parks offering I packed up my gear and went down to the lake for my usual cool off and clean up swim. I stayed after that to see where I placed in the age group and when I saw 5th of 7 I left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I know I need to lose weight. I could increase my training volume but the amount I do is about all I can get right now between family and job.

Event comments:

I would do it again. I'm just not impressed with the way the races are run.

Last updated: 2005-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 600 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 0/222
Performance: Good
The water time was 13:03 and then there was a 54 second run up to transition. I wore my shorty Excel wetsuit for the swim. It's actually a diving suit but I saw two others with the same suit with different triathlon names on it. It's a comfortable suit as I will soon illustrate.
Suit: Xcel diving shorty suit
Course: Right turn trapazoid. The start was way remote from the finish which is usual for Tri the Parks events.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:30 | 11.6 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Performance: Good
My bike odometer says the bike course was 11.9 miles but the listed distance was 11.6 miles. My odometer is very accurate but whatever the posted results say when they're posted I will go with. The bike time includes my time spent "dancing with wetsuit" outside the T1 area to try to get my wetsuit off. My actual average speed was 18.6 mph.
Wind: None
Course: The course was "Y" shaped and required two sharp, within the two lane road, turn arounds. The return from the final turn around was fun because it was about 5 miles of mostly slight downhill. I really cranked it up on that portion of the course. The road had been damp but had dried by the time of the race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 75
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:18 | 03.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/7
Performance:
Course: A muddy slippery run for about 3/4 mile through the woods, with one very steep trail hill. Then a 1/4 mile run down a mildly sloping road to a turn around and then a 1/2 mile run up the seemingly never ending mildly sloping road. Another run through the woods with muddy bogs this time for 1/2 mile and finally 1.1 mile to the finish with mostly mildly sloping downhill and flats with one slight uphill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-04 2:46 PM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Mistletoe 2005

2005-06-04 8:08 PM
in reply to: #168573

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Mistletoe 2005
Wow, a negative split on your run?! Great job. And thank goodness we don't really need wetsuits here in Louisiana; I can easily see myself leaving T1 still wearing mine. The good thing is that you probably won't make that mistake again any time soon. Doesn't look like your race suffered too much for it. You threw down some good times.
2005-06-04 10:01 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Sounds like you had a great race.

As far as the wetsuit embarrassment, welcome to the "Embarrassing Moments While Racing" crowd.  There's quite a lot of us who have had something along those lines occur  - like the time I did a slow motion fall off my bike, immediately out of transition, right in front of all spectators - and you can be pretty certain that the wetsuit "event" will not happen again.

Of course, that means something else probably will.

Edited by cadreamer 2005-06-04 10:04 PM
2005-06-05 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job! I did not like that muddy hill either
2005-06-05 7:22 PM
in reply to: #168720

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: I always negative split ...
because as I get closer to the finish I let go of my "run dread" and just run hard knowing it will be over soon.
2005-06-06 10:41 AM
in reply to: #168828

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
The results have just been posted and you (jamesreeves) did a fantastic 1:20:00, Browe79 did a very fast 1:13:55, Cenryiv did a 1:18:59 (I didn't know he would be there), Josh_Berman did a 1:43:33 (and beat my run time), hblackmon did a 1:56:18, and GArunner"tri"ing did a smoking 1:12:52 to beat us all. Great race everyone! I'm sorry we didn't setup a meet up.

2005-06-06 11:27 AM

User image

Oh, c'mon!  A real man would have just ridden the bike in his shorty wetsuit and removed it in T2!  It would have been VERY aero! ;-)
2005-06-06 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Great race, John.  Lots of lessons learned this weekend about preping one's gear. 

Hopefully I'll meet up with you all at another Tri the Parks!

2005-06-06 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Hope we all meet up at Indian Springs.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Mistletoe 2005 Rss Feed