Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Atlanta Track Club
Total Time = 1h 32m 46s
Overall Rank = 30/4500 F
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/??
Pre-race routine:

Planned to part at a Marta close by. Ended up parking at the wrong line and had to take it all the way down and back up!!! Nobody was happy at this point... looked like we weren't going to make it!
Event warmup:

We arrived at the Chamblee station essentially when the race started. Sprinted to drop off bags hit the portopotty then ran into the race (behind the starting line) 6 minutes late!!!
Run
  • 1h 32m 46s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 07m  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to run comfortably the first ten then speed up for the last three. My "big" race is supposed to be on December 12 (was a marathon but switched to the half,) But, my leg and foot have been hurting me with various aches and pains for the last month.

Thus I have been lax with the speedword for the last month and my mileage has dwindled down. Fortunately, since I had been training for a Marathon I had several 16 plus runs under my belt. So anyways, I was Determined to make this a warmup for the fast flat kiawah race in a few weeks.

Starting late had its disadvantages. I had to do a tremendous amount of bobbing, weaving, and "excuse mes"but is was okay because my goal was to Warm Up!

First ten were great... average just above 7 and I felt so good that I was thinking maybe I should have shot for sub 1:30. 11 was a struggle and I ended up averaging 6:30 for 12 and really sprinted the last quarter at 5:4X Avg. (All that bobbing and weaving led to extra running.) Definitely could have pushed harder but really raced the last 5k.Ended up with a 7:01 avg for 13.25 miles.

Was happy with my time bc I figured that my approach would prob get me a 1:34 or 35. Of course I was secretly hoping for a 1:32 or 33 so I can take a crack at 1:30 in a few weeks. The power of suggestion is Strong!!

Was so excited that none of my "injuries" hurt but that was only until the next day .
What would you do differently?:

The next day and the next... I can barely walk. My calves feel like they did after the marathon and I guess the sprint from Marta wasn't the best warmup after all! I only hope that I can recover in time for Kiawah ...I really need to get this calf thing figured out. I am going to solicit recommendations for a medical professional who can help me with this!!

Actually now after reading several other reports, there seems to be a consensus that the race was a bit long. Great news for me, if I can walk in two weeks I am ready to race a flat half marathon! ha ha.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with a bunch of ATC teammates after the race. Then hit the inlaws for Tday later that night. Good times.

Last updated: 2009-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:46 | 13.25 miles | 07m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/??
Overall: 0/4500 F
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-28 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Atlanta Half Marathon

2009-11-28 5:05 PM
in reply to: #2533791

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Atlanta Half Marathon

Great race given your "issues"...I know your pain on the calves.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Half Marathon Rss Feed