Endor Sports Fund LLC
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 277/447
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/48
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in NH at a camp very much like the one in Friday the thirteenth. Very bizarre but had great sleep. Awoke at 5:15, dressed and had breakfast. Checked in at the race site at 6:20ish and set up transition early.
Event warmup:

No specific warm up minus carying my Kit from my bunk house to the car which was about .3 miles. Nice.
Swim
  • 29m 39s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like I previously mentioned, I obviously need more experience in the wetsuit. I will practice that and try to figure out what went wrong. This set the tempo for my race, and that tempo was bad.
What would you do differently?:

Gain more experience in wetsuit swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Transition went well. Wetsuit slowed me down, but not that badly.

Have a towel for my feet in the future.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 56s
  • 27.25 miles
  • 19.03 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good course, in my opionion, and the bike was very well behaved. I found this a pleasant ride, but failed to heed my own advice and tried to hammer a little to much.

I need to constantly stay vigilant of cadence and speed. I AM IN THIS AGAINST ME NOT THE OTHER RIDERS, right?
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Again, had a good transition. Got to the rack and changed over relatively quickly.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 01m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, like I said, my run sucked. The first hot day of the year (really) fell right on my head and subsequently destroyed my run. I will definitely be more prepared for the 10K next week, and I really ID'd some important factors to my running, so bad as it was, I found the light here. Also, I had a BLAST!

Stop being a wuss when I get hot. No seriously, I need to run outside A LOT more, and that is an easy fix, because I have an outside right here!! Cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a snazzy mooseman Tri towel with accompanying cool water. That was a life saver and felt really good when I really needed it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold water and Hot road. I was beaten by mother nature today. No worries though, I will be back...

Event comments:

What a good time! I didn't do as well as I would have liked, but hey, I had a good time and I finished my first solo Oly, so any day that I can say that is AWESOME. Now, back to the training board...

Last updated: 2005-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:39 | 1056 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 332/447
Performance: Bad
This was easily the worst swim of my life. Wave start and above the normal flailing of limbs and general ass whooping you take in the first .1 to .2 miles my goggles continuously filled with water. This caused me to stress out and I couldn't fix it for a long way. (Rookie Mistake 1) Then about .25 into swim, I began to hyperventelate due to God knows what. Not at all uncomfortable in the water, but for some reason, I totally geeked out on this swim. Actually, even though only for a second, I considered quitting. (That was the scariest part!) Finally, I pulled my self together, got my goggles straightened out and moved myself around the buoys to the finish. I will definitely get out in the open water more and soon. Any one available next weekend!
Suit: Med Ironman Instinct
Course: .6 mile in Newfound Lake. very clear and cold water. Buoys marked each .1 miles with beach start and finish at a separate location.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:56 | 27.25 miles | 19.03 mile/hr
Overall: 197/447
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Singel loop around Newfound Lake. Pretty intense rolling hills (hey, it's New Hampshire, right?) and one fairly substantial hill. This was actually a bright spot on my race since I like climbing. Plus, there was a woman dressed as the devil with cool music coming from her van, and that was just awesome. Oh yeah, and some guy threw up, so as sadistic as it sounds, I knew I was in better shape that him.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:27 | 06.2 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 350/447
Performance: Bad
Course: This was a pretty brutal course, IMHO. The road ran right along the lake, and that was really nice, but the rolling hills kicked my butt. I was ill prepared for the heat as well, and the combo took its toll on my run. I can honestly say this was the worst 10K I have ever ran, and that is a good thing, because I see all of my faults, including improper hydration and over zealousness on the bike.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-04 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Subject: Mooseman 1/4 IM

2005-06-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: #168615

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Mooseman 1/4 IM
Micheal...you rock...it was a tough course and the weather was so hot on the run!

Your bike time is awesome...you like hills...you got them.

I was so far behind the devil was sleeping or something...but she caught me walking up the hill.

Hope to see you around at another Tri.....great job and thanks for sharing your report.
2005-06-04 7:36 PM

Elite Veteran
You really did hammer the bike! Good for you. When the weather changes (for you today, for me tomorrow at my race), I think all you can do it get through the run. It isn't like any of us have been training at these higher temps.

Great job!

2005-06-04 8:53 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Way to go mike!!!!  Sounds like a tough course and a *HOT* day. Must have been quite a difference between the cold water and the hot air. Now ...if the swim was after the run or biek.

Congrats on your first solo oly!!
2005-06-05 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somerville
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! I love this site!
2005-06-05 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Great work, especially on the bike.  It was fun passing all those flatlanders and getting cheered on by the devil lady.  I must have seen you on the run - I was looking for fellow AG'ers (30-34), and you must have been one of the ones with the Team Javelin uniforms, right?

Anyway, nice work on the race, it was definitely a fun one.

-Rob

2005-06-05 8:06 PM

Online or Offline

Great job keeping your cool on the swim and not allowing yourself to talk yourself into quitting!

Speaking of "knowing" you're doing better than the more unfortunate when feeling sorry for oneself during the race (I did the 1/2 today), I got passed by a couple of ambulances that were speeding in the opposite direction to a rumored cyclist that got hit; one lady ate it on that steep, sharp turning hill by the fire station towards the last 1/3rd of the loop. ("She was in the trees" Good thing there were paramedics nearby in the fire house; and I would just be rude to mention the drama I saw on the second ascent of that Devil Lady's hill; and I saw some guy with a bandaged up leg who apparently munched somewhere on course too

So I guess we didn't do too bad, considering!

CONGRATS

2005-06-06 7:36 AM

Champion
Way to go Mike, nice race! Yeah that was a brutal course, those hills are nothing to sneeze at. And the rolling hills on the run, amn they take it out of you too! Congrats on getting yourself together during the swim too. Shows a lot of determination! Ya did good!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman 1/4 IM Rss Feed