United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 105/406
Age Group = 25-29 MALE
Age Group Rank = 11/49
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to the alarm @ 5:15... My 3 year lab get's up to the alarm to.. He hears it, and knows it is breakfast time. Anyways, he stands up from his bed, and starts heeving.. I fly out of bed to try and get him outside, w/ know luck.. made it to the bedroom door and got sick. HE'S NOT DONE.. we are both running down the hall to get outside, and he doesn't make it.. Poor guy. Then I get in the car to drive to the race, and spill coffee all over the front of me (had clothes on so no burn). I found out about this race on Weds. A friend of a friend had a hubby that wasn't going to race...They wanted me to meet them at the race at 6am.. 2 hours EARLY (or so I thought 2hrs??)
Event warmup:

I ran into a guy that I went to high school with, and we talked for about 1/2 hour.. @ 6:40 I made a comment to him that there were a TON of people there for a race that starts in an hour and 20 minutes... DUDE THE RACE starts IN 20 MINUTES!!!!!! I ran to borrow a cell phone, and call my wife... WOKE her up and says the race starts in 20 minutes.. NOT 8am like we had both thought. So that threw me off a little.. OH WELL.. it is what it is.
Swim
  • 07m 22s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I missed my swim wave.. I was out in the water "warming up." Jumped in with the 30-39 wave.. OH WELL.. Another curve to the day.. Water was cold, so getting out of the water was tough on my little toes. Lot's of rocks. Actually stood up to start to run, and decide I would be better of swimming farther in, and started to swim almost till my belly hit the crowd.. I think that saved me a little.
What would you do differently?:

GET IN THE RIGHT SWIM WAVE...
Transition 1
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

STUPID WETSUIT! Stuck on my timing chip.. Right as I got to my T1 area, my wife walked up.. Good timing I guess.. Great encouragement. I don't know about everyone else but I thought the Transition area was a mess (super crowded). I had no room, and people's stuff on top of my. I felt like I was digging through other peoples stuff just to get to mine.

Be more aggresive in trying to take my suit off. Tried once to pull of and it didn't come, so I sat down...
Bike
  • 43m 14s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike, except I COULDN'T switch into my big chain ring... Better i guess than having to sit in that ring the WHOLE time, but I think I lost a minute of two with this problem, escpecially on flats and the 1 hill. But bike was ok.

?? Get the big ring to work before I go out there? Darnit Speedy Reedy... Just Kidding not there fault.. I should have gone down there this week.. LAZY!
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Very please w/ T2. I did think that it was weird that we had to touch a toe about 1/2 mile from the dismount.. Luckily I had already had my feet out of my shoes, so I didn't really stop.. Man my toes were still cold though.

I got new shoes about 3 weeks ago, and didn't put the "speed laces" on there.. Took a little to tie shoes.
Run
  • 26m 27s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great.. Good pace, I was pleased. Got a nice blister on TOP OF MY BIG TOE.. A little blood on my new WHITE shoes, but hey that is racing? Just a mere flesh wound. I'm over it.

???
Post race
Warm down:

WENT TO STARBUCKS W/ the wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE BIG CHAIN RING NOT WORKING ON MY BIKE.

Event comments:

A little bigger cups on the run.. That little shot glass of a cup was a tease.. The food afterwards was awesome! Thought I was at a bake sale. They did a great job. Swim start seem a bit messy (i only say that because I missed my swim start.. my fault. I raced under the ALIAS of Matthew CHAPMAN.. Hopefully I didn't let him down.. and I thank him for giving me a chance to practice before my Oly Distance @ PACIFIC CREST!

Last updated: 2005-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:22 | 440 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 76/406
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca/Wetsuit
Course: Clockwise 2 bouys... REALLY REALLY CROWDED AT THE BOUYS.....
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:14 | 14.5 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Overall: 104/406
Performance: Average
Wind: None with gusts
Course: Nice course.. Felt really bad for the people IN CARS! TRAFFIC WAS SO BACK UP! HA HA HA!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:27 | 03.5 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 130/406
Performance: Good
Course: Nature trail, with LOT'S OF DIVOTS, holes, and ROOTS.. Nice course layout though.. SAW ZAGA about 1.4 into the run... That was AWESOME!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: Issaquah Tri

2005-06-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: #168931

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Issaquah Tri
Apologize for poor grammer, spelling and mistyping... DIDN'T PROOF READ!
2005-06-05 8:22 PM

User image

Pro
Tried a little 3 mile run today.. that was tough! I don't know if it was all the beer last night, or all the junk food!!!
2005-06-05 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Great race Steve!  You were smart to swim as far into shore before standing up.  I saw a lot of people losing time because they stood up too soon.  That toe touch thing was weird.  I have never heard of that before. 
2005-06-05 8:55 PM

User image

Pro
Thanks Harmony
2005-06-06 10:15 AM

Seattle, WA
Congrats Steve. I actually found the transition area was better than I expected. Of course I was on the last rack right by the bike exit, exactly where I'd want to be even if spots weren't assigned. The shot glasses of water had me laughing too! Good luck with your Olympic distance tri and hope your pooch is feeling better.

Cheers,
Jeff

2005-06-06 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Thanks Jeff. He is doing better..
2005-06-06 3:17 PM

User image

Steve, you are sure one flexible guy.  You had a great race even on short notice and with the hitch after hitch that came your way.  Man, you are FAST!!! 

I was surprised to see the turnout, there seemed to be a lot more racers than last year.   I had commented to my husband that the transition area will need to be bigger next year, this tri is really growing!

I noticed that  if you use the parking lot closer to Sunset Beach, you will walk past restroom areas away from the main hubbub and no one is there.  The minor drawback is that the kid's race holds up cars from  exiting   that lot while the kids do their bike course in the area. It's only a short delay though. 

2005-06-06 4:55 PM

User image

Pro
I know.. I got super lucky, and found the bathroom by the water at about 6:20 in the morning... Before everyone got there... I did enjoy the race.. I just wish there was a little more room in the T1 area.. The running trail was a tad sketch. I thought for sure I was going to slip or roll an ankle.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Issaquah Tri Rss Feed