Endorfun Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 49s
Overall Rank = 214/447
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/48
Pre-race routine:

We went down Tuesday and stayed all week at my brother-in-law's condo right on the lake, about 1 mile from the race site. Swam in the lake almost everyday, and started feeling much more comfortable in the wetsuit. Rode the entire course on Wednesday. Spent Friday lying around in the sun - every day before a race should be so nice!

Woke up around 5:30 on race day. Ate some of my homemade granola, a banana, and lots of water.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike down to the race. Walked around and scouted out the transition entrances and exits. They had individually assigned rack space, and the racks were lettered, so it was very easy to find your spot. Ate a clif bar, some more water, got into the wetsuit and made the walk down to the swim start. Dove in the water and floated a little just to get wet a few minutes before my wave start. Felt excited but not too nervous. Boy, those buoys look far away...
Swim
  • 22m 48s
  • 1050 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, so here is my weak spot, as you can see by my rank, but I was happy with it. This was my first open water tri, and my plan was to go nice and slow, stay out of the pack, stay wide, etc. I think I actually swam an extra 100 or more yards from going so wide of the buoys. When I got out to the turnaround, I had to swim sideways for quite a little ways to get to the stupid buoy. Came across a few folks who were having a hard time with the cold water, including a few that were going back to the start. Tried to encourage them a little. I did get overtaken by a large portion of the next wave (they were only three minutes behind), and I felt bad when I kicked one guy in the head (and I thought I had forgotten everything I learned in Taekwondo!). Stood up sooner than I should have since I was still waist deep, but got my legs quickly and went running through the chute to T1. Jen and the girls were right there screaming for me. Nice.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder on the second half. I definitely got into this groove where I was trying to stay comfortable and not breathing too hard, but I think I could have pushed it a little harder without getting out of that groove.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Rinsed off my feet and put my shoes on before running out.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 12s
  • 27.25 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty happy with the bike. My fastest training rides had been averaging just at 18 mph, so given the course, I was pleased with my time. The hills were tough, but the cool thing was that I did a lot of passing on the hills. Unfortunately, the same people would come cruising past me as soon as we started back downhill, then I would pass them again on the next uphill, and on and on it went. I don't really get why this kept happening. I understand some of the bigger guys have a weight advantage on the downhills, but I was getting passed by 100 pound women, and we all seemed to have the same cadence.

Oh, and all those rules about drafting zones, falling back when overtaken, etc. - that all seemed to go out the window, especially on the hills - big clusters of riders, sometimes four abreast across the whole lane, people passing and being passed on the left, right, whatever. Very different from my first tri last month, which was smaller and which had smaller waves which were separated by a lot more time.

Maybe not ride on old, worn-down tires - the back one especially is pretty fried from the trainer, but after riding the course on Wednesday and seeing how rough some of the surfaces were, I decided not to change to new, narrower tires, even though I probably would have improved my speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

No problems. I saw Jen and the girls on the other side of the fence, and had to scream a few times to get their attention. Jen said she hadn't expected me back so soon.
Run
  • 47m 26s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

The ratings for keeping cool and drinking more realistically reflect my poor planning toward the end of the bike. Definitely should have been drinking some more toward the end in anticipation of the run. Also had to deal with heat and sun which I am not at all used to, since it had barely cracked the 60's around here since last summer. Now it was somewhere around 80, sunny, and humid.

The first few miles were miserable. I felt slow and shuffling. Around mile two I walked through a water station and had a carb-boom gel (tasty!) and some water, and I started to get a bit more of a rhythm. I passed a few guys in my AG during the last mile or two, and had a nice kick into the finish line.

Take some gels sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Took off my running shoes and jumped back into the 60 degree lake. Felt great. Walked around a bit, then hit the post-race cookout for a cheeseburger, hot dog, and potato salad. Good stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gravity, water resistance, and air resistance :). Oh, and my lack of gills.

Event comments:

I had a great time and an awesome week at the lake. My general goal was to go under three hours, and my private, ideal goal was 2:45, so I'm happy with my 2:43. I learned a lot to take into my next races, the big thing being that I now know that I can do an open water race.

Last updated: 2004-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:48 | 1050 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 356/447
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit (full)
Course: Triangular swim, ending at the opposite end of the beach from the start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:29:12 | 27.25 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Overall: 254/447
Wind: Little
Course: Roller coaster. Lot of short, but pretty steep hills that killed momentum. Was supposed to be 28 miles, but they cut out one little loop to make it shorter to be more proportional to the run segment, which they had been forced to shorten (see below).
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:26 | 06.2 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Overall: 118/447
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, with some strong hills in both directions. The run was originally supposed to be 6.55 miles, but at the last minute I guess they had some issues with some locals who didn't want runners in their neighborhood on Saturday and Sunday, so they shortened it to a 10k.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-05 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Mooseman 1/4 Iron Distance

2005-06-05 7:40 PM
in reply to: #169038

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: Mooseman 1/4 Iron Distance

Great race, husky!

For 2006, you'll have to do the Half Iron then - they didn't cut anything out of that race today! I swore I'd never go back to that evil course when I did that course last year as an Olympic, but it just got too damn addicting obsessing over that hill by the marina where Devil lady was!

That is an impressive speed you maintained on all those hills on the bike, since you've been averaging that same speed on your training rides (unless you train exclusively on THAT course!)

And didn't Newfound Lake feel awesome after the race??! Ahhhhhhh!

I'm gonna have to plug for Hammer Endurolytes here - electrolyte replacement tablets (we got 'em in our goody bag)......I zonked on a run several weeks ago on a surprise hot day, and decided I'd experiment with them today (I know, breaking a Cardinal Rule!)

2005-06-05 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Terrific race...you rock!!

You did Mooseman faster on your bike than on a normal bike....shows you have lots of strength and ability.

It was a great race and one I hope to do next year...I'll stay at the 1/4 distance.

I didn't see anyone on the bike....what a different experience being in a pack. You finished before I got to the run....but not everyone can come in last. I enjoyed myself and finished ...just starting was a challenge for me...the open water and the distance was tough for me.

Great job...are you doing Timberman?

2005-06-06 7:30 AM

Champion
Great race Rob. Yeah the drafting was the same for us on Sunday in the 1/2 IM, people all over the place. It's pretty much ignored, though sometimes if you're really sitting right on the tail of another bike and a race official drives by, you might get penalized, but the likelihood of that is pretty small.
2005-06-06 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Maine

Thanks guys!

May - In my grand plan, I'm hoping to do the 1/2 next year in preparation for Lake Placid. Newfound did feel awesome after the race, best cooldown ever! And you are absolutely right about the endurolytes.  I took four of them about halfway through the bike. Only problem was that I had them in a baggie in the backpocket of my trisuit, and apparently some water got in there during the swim, so I basically had a handful of salty paste, but it still worked. 

Kathy - Yes, I'll be at Timberman, doing the half, can't wait! I was already printing off some of the course maps this morning.

2005-06-06 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Awesome job Rob!!! Woohoo! Good job on your first OW swim during a race. I enjoy OW much better than a pool, but I'm also a little touched in the head Your bike and run times are truly inspiring - way to go!

-Frank

2005-06-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: #169520

Online or Offline
huskyboy - 2005-06-06 1:23 PM

May - In my grand plan, I'm hoping to do the 1/2 next year in preparation for Lake Placid.......

....... I'll be at Timberman, doing the half, can't wait! I was already printing off some of the course maps this morning.

oooh gawd, I turn into a sheep everytime I hear Lake Placid and I get self imposed peer pressure -- I wanna try it! I wanna tri it!

SEE YA AT THE TIMBERMAN 1/2 IM 2005!! Woooo hoooo! 70-something days to go!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman 1/4 Iron Distance Rss Feed