United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 11s
Overall Rank = 165/2688
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, coffee, breakfast bar, shower and out the door. We stayed about 1/2 mile from the race start, so we jogged from the condo.
Event warmup:

After jogging to the start, I stretched for a few minutes, hit the bathroom, and dropped off extra clothes at the start. I lined up halfway between the 7 and 8 minute signs, hoping I'd be corralled w/ similar-speed runners.
Run
  • 1h 39m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

After running the Atlanta Half 2 weeks ago, I knew I could push harder and shoot for a sub-1:40 time...especially on a flat course. So that was my goal; anything under 1:40 was victory in my book!

The race started and immediately there were some walkers and slow runners gumming up the race flow! I faintly remember now reading a race report that advised starting as close to the front to avoid the walker/joggers who fail to seed themselves correctly...wish I had remembered this before the race. Anyway, after weaving and running up on the roadside grass and sidewalk for the 1st 3/4 of a mile, the crowd started to thin. After such a slow start I really wanted to get back on pace, so I really picked up the pace. I wanted to negative split the entire race, so I watched my current and average paces constantly today. Here are my mile splits:

1- 8:00
2- 7:41
3- 7:40
4- 7:39
5- 7:33
6- 7:31
7- 7:44, a little wind during this section
8- 7:41, can here myself breathing, heavily...time to turn the music up
9- 7:32
10- 7:29
11- 7:18
12- 7:02
13- 6:54
Last .1- 6:17

I felt pretty good about my pacing, other than the slow start. I could probably stand to tighten up the range of mile splits.

What would you do differently?:

Start out a little quicker. Although the mess at the start was unavoidable and predictable. Other than that, I felt like I gave 100% according to my current fitness level...gotta just get more miles in.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes and stretched, found Bethany, then watched my father-in-law finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness, mileage, & carrying a few extra pounds.

Event comments:

This was a fun race...well-organized, fast, easy logistics when you stay on the island. Courses don't get much faster. This would be a great BQ race some day.

Last updated: 2009-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:11 | 13.1 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/
Overall: 165/2688
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 175 bpm Max HR- 192 bpm!
Course: Flat out and back on the winding neighborhood streets/bike paths of the Kiawah Island Golf Resort...awesome golf courses here, btw! I think you can catch a glimpse of the Ocean Course, but I had such tunnel vision I didn't notice. Out portion is on 2 lanes of the road, back half was on winding bike paths, unfortunately.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes