United States
25F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 22m 35s
Overall Rank = 119/1409
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left the hotel with about 15 minutes to spare. Not trying to stay out in the cold any longer than I had to.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 3h 22m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my third marathon, second if not including the ironman marathon. I did ironman Florida about a month prior. Some friends of mine conned me into running this so I agreed. My plan was simple. Go after Boston. Either I crash and burn or I qualify. I really went into this race with nothing to lose.

I started about 4 rows back, just in front of the 3:15 pacers. Gun went off, and even though it was cold I felt great. First mile was about 6:45 so I back off just a hair. I figured I'd hold 7 minute pace as long as I could and then see if I could still hold up until the finish line. I felt really strong and had lots of people running my pace. Unfortunately most of these people were doing the half marathon. At the 12 mile mark, the half marathoner turned and I was alone. I made it to the 13.1 mark in 1:31 and had a nice time bank built up.

A saw a runner here and there, but the crowd support thinned a bit and I knew my pace was slowly dropping. At mile 15 my foot started hurting. Weird feeling, one I'm not used to. Almost felt like my stress fracture (same place) just not as bad. At this point, I knew I was in for a suffer-fest. The BQ run probably wasn't going to happen, and I focused on bringing home a PR instead. The last 8 miles were slow and painful. I probably ran 8:45ish pace and it was all I could do to maintain that pace. Had a laugh at the mile 24 water station. Three of us stopped to get a drink and walked as we drank. We threw out cups down and just looked at each other for who would be the first to start running again. We laughed and I started my death march again.

I ended up missing Boston by 12 minutes. But I did break my PR by 11 minutes. So I'm happy with the results. If nothing else, this race makes me confident that I can qualify for Boston as before I was unsure. This was a fairly hilly course and it was really cold. Also, I had only 2 to 3 weeks of speed training (post ironman). So with proper BQ marathon training, better weather, and a flat course I think I can do it.
What would you do differently?:

I'm sure I could have gone a bit faster if I didn't go after Boston from the start. But where's the fun in that?

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Froze.

My friends both finished aroudn 4 hours. So I had to wait for them at the finish for 35 minutes. I got cold fast and was in pain. In retrospect, I really should have gone back to the hotel ASAP.

Event comments:

Expo and race packet weren't great compared to other races, nor was the post race stuff. My biggest complaint is the lack of options at the aid stations. Gatorade and water...and thats it for the first 16 miles. At mile 16 and 20 they gave out Gu's. Not enough in my opinion.

However, the race itself went off with no glitches. Very well marked, and police at every intersection. Also some cool music along the way.

That said, I probably won't be back.

Last updated: 2009-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
03:22:35 | 26.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1409
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-12-14 10:57 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon

2009-12-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2557547

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon
Way to go after it.  Sounds like you are so close to BQ.
2009-12-19 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2557570

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon
Hey nice job, especially so soon after IMFL. Sorry you didn't quite make BQ time, but nice PR anyhoo. Wow, I can't believe how fast you have to run to BQ! I only need to get 4:00 (tho, not quite sure I can do it!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlotte's Thunder Road Marathon Rss Feed