General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 36m 16s
Overall Rank = 2693/4453
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 129/256
Pre-race routine:

Well I am going to start out this race report with buying new shoes the day before the Turkey Trot, Mizuno Wave Creation, which is NOT a stability shoe. Ran on them for the past few weeks and was having LOTS of heel and arch pain. Started to panic the night before the race as my foot was still feeling a bit sore. Went to Luke's, they told me I bought the wrong shoe and at that point my options were to run on my old Mizuno Nirvana shoes that had 350 plus miles on them or to run in the Wave Creation that seemed to be causing some heel and arch pain. They recommended buying a new pair of Mizuno Nirvanas and running in them, while it was NOT IDEAL, it was the best option which I followed through with their advice.
Event warmup:

Was anxious about so many things, new shoes, running 26.2 miles, hydrating, did I wear the right thing? and on and on!!!
Run
  • 4h 36m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a HUGE race with over 20,000 people and sometimes a major mob scene. I started feeling very nervous and anxious about my new shoes, my lack of Garmin to help pace me and within the first couple of miles lost both my chapstick and one of my gu's. I only had four total gu's as I was counting on getting some on the run. Then I started remembering that there wouldn't be any available until around mile 18 or 19. This sent me into another worry and I ended up finding an unopened gu that someone had dropped, picked it up and put it in my back pocket in case I really needed one.

I was supposed to start in wave D, but ended up starting at the very back of wave C so I could run the first few miles with one of my training partners who was running the half. She wanted me to pace her, however, the whole lack of Garmin thing was an issue. I had my wrist pace band on my arm which was a life safer and I used the stop watch on my watch to try to shoot for a 4:30 finish. I went ahead of my friend at about mile 4 and didn't see her again. The rest of the race I ran on my own with my Ipod which I decided to take at the last minute, good call! I was about two minutes ahead of my pace band at the half way mark and then it seems I slowly started losing time. I made one bathroom pitstop, two stretch pitstops as I started to get really tight and sore and just generally slowed down. Foot was hurting a bit and I was having a few stomach issues.

The last few miles went on forever and while I continued to run, I felt like I was hardly moving. Finished feeling pretty yucky and needing some water. Saw one of my training partners in the finish shoot and she was definitely NOT looking good. This was her first marathon and she was shooting for a 4:00 - 4:15, she finished in 4:29 and seemed really disappointed. I think we forgot to tell her what a mental beat down and struggle the marathon distance can be!
What would you do differently?:

The whole marathon thing is a major mental battle and the one thing I feel like I did pretty well was not to go out too fast. My rank went up throughout the whole course starting at 2835 at the 10k mark, 2874 at the half mark, 2807 at the 20 mile mark and finishing at 2693 so I guess I didn't crater as much as I thought I had. Learning how to run the race is a HUGE part of this event. I was a bit disappointed to miss my 4:30 goal pace, but I improved my marathon time by about 8 minutes so I did have a PR! Plus the shoe, foot thing was definitely a factor!
Post race
Warm down:

Found Doug, stumbled around for a bit, got a COLD (near frozen) bagel in the food tent and a couple of granola bars...very disappointing food tent! They didn't even have WATER!!!!! Thankfully Doug had a bottle of water for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A somewhat injured/sore foot was definitely an issue and I think the other thing I need to do is more speedwork!

Event comments:

They definitely need to do better on the water post race and the food, it was a real let down not to have water on hand after running 26.2 miles!

Last updated: 2009-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
04:36:16 | 26.2 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 129/256
Overall: 2693/4453
Performance: Average
Charged my Garmin the night before, waited until about 30 minutes before race time to turn it on and it was DEAD, ended up taking it and putting it in my drop bag as I figured I might as well not run with it on and get chafed from the HR strap since it wasn't going to work anyway.
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-12-14 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2009-12-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2557567

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon
WOW! 8 minute PR! Amazing!

You did a great job moving to plan b with the Garmin and Gu issues!

Yeah, I had 4 Gu's for the half! Not sure how you only had 4 for the full! Of course, I only used 3... but still!

The food tent was sad. I wanted water... a bottle of water. Not some pathetic little Dixie cup filled half way up. Gosh the Turkey Trot with shorter distances had better food and water after the race. True, it was all gone by the time was done... but I did finally scrounge up a bottle of water at the Turkey Trot.

2009-12-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2557986

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there..

the food was never great but it  seems to have gone downhill each year with this new company,, as the crowds increase even

glad you PR without the garmin..
2009-12-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2557567

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Congratulations Jill!!  Great day even with all the mishaps.  The people at Lukes know what they are doing.  I trust them!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed