General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do for living? And manage your training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-12-17 2:01 AM
in reply to: #2563509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: What do you do for living? And manage your training?
HR / Rem & Benefits Mgr.

Find it depends more on who you work for than the type of work you do (in my situation anyway).  Spent last year working for Goldman Sachs, didn't get any time for training or family.  Changed jobs to a less demanding job doing the same work (with no real drop in pay, makes you wonder about the myth of GS paying so well) and my hours have literally halved.  Comfortably fitting in training for HIM at the moment with plans to increase to IM from mid next year and still plenty of time for a young family as well.  Am an early riser though so nothing to be on the road at 5.00am to get a good part of training done before the house wakes up.

2009-12-17 5:02 AM

New user

Casselberry, Florida
Gold member
Tax accountant for regional CPA firm.  Hours range anywhere from 40 - 80 a week.  Also studying for the CPA exam right now which is supposed to be 30 hours of studying a week for the next 24 weeks.  I am also married so for me I try to only train in the early morning during the week and keep my longer workouts on the weekend mornings.  That way I am not cutting into as much time I can spend with my wife.  My biggest challenge is trying to balance it all out especially during the busy times at work.

I have been wondering the same thing, what everyone does and how they manage to train consistently.  Did my first sprint this past July and loved it so I am planning for another sprint in March and an Oly in July (as long as I keep training through tax season).    
2009-12-17 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Indiana
Corporate Director with two young children. I workout at 5am most mornings, and try to get into the pool a couple of days a week at lunch. On the weekends, I try to do most of my long runs and long rides fairly early in the morning, so I still have the day to spend with the family.

Not being a morning person, this has proven to be a challenge, but after a couple of months you get used to the early hours.

I have also tried to fit training around my life as much as possible. Soccer game in a town 30 miles away? Leave a hour or two before the family on the bike and meet them there. SUnday dinner at the in-laws? Run the 10 miles there or back.

Good luck with your training!!

2009-12-17 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
I'm an Assistant Attorney General for the state of Texas. Although I can't set my own hours, I generally work 7 am - 6 pm and get my training in at lunch and after work. Luckily, I'm able to take 2-hr lunches because of my long days. Unfortunately, I represent state agencies/boards/universities/employees all over the state, so my travel schedule -- which is unpredictable -- interferes with my training a LOT.

Winter training schedule is pretty simple: run in the mornings or at lunch Mon. - Sat. Evenings, bike on the trainer 3 days a week on JorgeM's off-season plan. On off cycling days, do 30 minutes on the rollers at a very easy pace to keep the legs moving. No swim.
2009-12-17 5:55 AM

User image

Birmingham, Al
I'm a Detective for a local police department.  I work 8-4.  I do most of my training after work in the evening.  When the time changes back I will start doing some of my training in the morning before going to work.  I am married with no kids and my wife is very supportive of my hobby.  I have several friends who are firemen that train with me.  Can't wait for spring time.Cool
2009-12-17 6:39 AM

Ft. Lauderdale

Self Employed Auto Body Shop Owner/Tech.  Workouts are all at 4:30 in the morning.  Work hours are M-F 6:30 to 5:30.  Sat 7 to 12.  3 kids 8, 3, and 2 months.  Yipee!!!! 

2009-12-17 7:10 AM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
I'm a HS English teacher and my husband is an engineer.  We carpool together and are able to go to the gym in the mornings.  That takes care of an hour workout 5 days a week.  On weekends, we usually don't go into town to the gym, but ride or run from home.  We live in the sticks on a farm.  During tri season, we add a second workout in the afternoon and do longer bike/runs on the weekends.  It seems pretty easy to manage, even with both of us working full time.  Of course, we don't have kids which seems to complicate the issue. 
2009-12-17 7:17 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm a Vice President- Investments at Wells Fargo Advisors. So I'm a stock broker who lives in AZ but keeps east coast hours. Early mornings but my whole afternoons are free.
2009-12-17 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Fifth-year Ph.D. student in neuroscience.  I get paid to go to school, which is awesome  I usually spend a total of about 50-60 hours/week doing lab + reading + writing.  I train in the early mornings, because after spending a day playing with fantastically dangerous things and standing at a lab bench, all I really want to do is cook dinner, cuddle with husband and dog, and go to sleep.
2009-12-17 7:28 AM

Lexington, KY
I'm an RN in a cardiac cath lab. I usually work 4 days a week 10 hours a day. So I have that extra day off every week where I try to get in a long brick. I do take call though. I have the lifeguards listen for my beeper. Call really isn't that bad but can mess up sleep/ recovery. I do wear about 15 pounds of lead to protect against radiation. I feel this is the worse aspect of my job related to tri. Usually I can sit on my butt alot. but there can be alot of squating, bending, and being on feet alot. I'm trying to swim 2X, run 2X, and bike 2X per week. A lot of nurses work 3 12 hour shifts. this might be very good for training. I'm trying to do a few sprint and Oly tris this year. Good luck
2009-12-17 7:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm a technical analyst at a large insurance company.  I hve 4 kids 5 and under so finding training time is difficult.  Something has to give and it is normally sleep.  My coach says I need to work on getting more sleep but if I don't get up at 430 to train then it doesn't get done.  You do what you have to, but family comes first!!

2009-12-17 7:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by trotpntbll 2009-12-17 7:54 AM
2009-12-17 7:56 AM

Veteran
Northern Illinois
I'm a Plant Manager of a printing company. Most days are 6-4. I get my swims in at the Y before work (getting up at 4:00 a.m. is a challenge sometimes!) and then I bike and run after work. I usually have my weekends free from work so that is when the longer rides and runs fit in. We have 2 teenage sons that are active in sports so the training schedule gets juggled around their games and practices.

Like others have said I think you make time for what you want to do. Almost every day I could find some reason not to train, but I love the way it makes me feel so I find a way to get the workouts in. Having a family that supports what you are doing also makes a big difference.
2009-12-17 8:01 AM

Expert
Ontario
I'm an RN also working 12 hour shifts, on a 4 on, 5 off rotation. We have no kids at home so I really do have lots of time for training.  However my husband was laid off in October and is a bit 'clingy' at times. We also have a 1 year old and 1 day old granddaughters who live 2 hours from us so spend usually one 5 day stretch each month either at their apt. or with the baby at our house... I don't know how parents of young kids find the time to train.
2009-12-17 8:08 AM

Expert
Auburn AL
I am an independent manufacturer's rep.  Primarily doors and windows with distribution is Al,  GA,FL.  Have to travel some, but work alot from home.  On a typical day from my home office, I take my son to school, do a little work, then train mid morning.
2009-12-17 8:14 AM

Regular
I'm a full-time college administrater, full-time PhD student, and a father.  My bike training consists of my commute to and from work three days a week (PHD classes on the other two so I need to use a car). I swim and run over lunch. It works great for my sprint training, but doesn't work so well for my end of season oly.

I promised my wife I wouldn't think about a HIM until my PhD is done and won't tackle an IM until my son is in high school (he's two right now)

Edited by goisles26 2009-12-17 8:18 AM

2009-12-17 8:18 AM

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am an engineer and my wife is an attorney.  We have 2 teenage kids that are very busy and we are very involved in their activities.  Training takes a backseat for me to work and family activities.  I also only rarely workout in the early am because I dislike working out super early and I have to take the kids to school.  That will change when my son gets his driver's license in the Spring, so we'll see.  As a result, I fit in training as I can and am therefore limited to shorter races.  I try to get in 2x3 - two sessions for each event (s/b/r) each week.  I can usually manage it with my focus on longer session on the weekends.  Racing strategy - Stick to sprints and try to go fast (at least for an old man).  Want to try an Oly this year - we'll see.

2009-12-17 8:21 AM

Pro
Parker, CO

I'm a contracts administrator for and R&D firm.  my days are long...usually 630 to 530 but the nice thing is that I have a 4-day work week!  I have 2-young kids so evenings don't work for me to exercsie...it's early morning usually at 430 - 5am.  Ten years ago I would have never imagined getting up at 4am to workout!

2009-12-17 8:25 AM

New user
I'm a clinical psychologist working in an in-patient tretment facility with a fairly set schedule, but a boss who is willing to flex some for early workouts or need for a longer lunch.  I'm also a DINK (Dual income no kids) so early am and evening work outs are easier to get in as long as my wife is on board and/or aware of the work-out schedule.
2009-12-17 8:33 AM

Regular
Richmond
I own a home furnishings retail business. I started it nineteen years ago. I used to work 70 hours a week and was in horrible physical condition. Now that my business is established I work 40 hours most weeks with some long ones depending if on what is going on. First quarter is scarring me with a new computer system and  my Director of Operations is leaving. I do a 2X balanced routine, so six days a week at 5:30-6:00 in the morning. Occasionally I swim at lunch since it is close to my office.
2009-12-17 8:34 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

This past year I left a large Wall Street firm to join a newly-formed independent advisory firm, where I'm a partner and Sr. Vice Presidents-Investments. 

Lots to do with a new firm; some very long days over the past six months. As a previous poster mentioned, owning your own business can easily be a 24/7/365 commitment.  While in theory you can set your own schedule, the reality is that there just aren't enough hours in the day sometimes.  We're starting to get ahead of things - actually left "early"at 5:30PM last night. 

I'm also starting my term as Board Chairman for the local affiliate of Habitat for Humanity, which means a commitment of about one evening per week and a couple Saturday mornings per month. 

With everything going on in my life, I've pretty much have become a "weekend warrior" lately as far as my training goes.  I've just been too tired and worn out to train consistently during the week.

I'm trying get myself back into a morning workout schedule.  For years I used to get up at 5AM and go to the gym or run, but have been struggling to get myself back into that routine.  I don't have any family constraints, so no excuses in that regard.   

Mark

2009-12-17 8:46 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I'm a part-time teacher. I work 25 hours per week just now and go to school/online classes about 10 hours per week. I'm also a mom 24/7

I managed to train for an Ironman by getting up early My biggest challenge is my husband's work schedule, he puts in long days or nights and his shifts change a lot. He works every other weekend which meant trying to fit 100 mile rides in on a friday or finding child care. We made it work by communicating our schedules (hubby trains for Tris, my kids are involved in sports) and keeping the calendar updated. Sometimes I had to skip key workouts because my family and work came first but in the end it didnt matter. I'm loking forward to training for another IM in 2010 now that I know it's not impossible to fit it all in. I should add that having a supportive spouse was key to all this and having training partners to share child care with really helps too

2009-12-17 8:54 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-17 8:57 AM

Expert
Bedford, NH
I'm a customer service manager/Sales rep for an Internet business specializing in disaster recovery and I also own my own business I run on the side of the product I invented.  I work 8 to 4 for my full time job so I like to get all my weekday training done before work.  However, I do have time in the afternoon and do some of my training and yoga in the evening.
2009-12-17 9:04 AM

Master
White Plains NY
I put fur, hair and feathers onto animated characters for feature length animated films. Really steady hours:  M-F, 9-6. I run or bike before work and swim during my lunch break 3 times a week. Long stuff is done on the weekends. I try REALLY hard to not schedule any after work workouts, unless its during the warmer months when I do most of my cycling.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you do for living? And manage your training? Rss Feed  

of 5