View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Total Time = 23m 31s
Overall Rank = 92/567
Age Group = M0-99
Age Group Rank = 78/274
Pre-race routine:

It has taken me a while to write this race report due to my disappointment with this race, so I'm not sure how good my recollection of events will be. My wife and I arrived and met up with our buddy David beforehand. I think I had an Arby's wrap or something on the way down.
Event warmup:

My wife and I jogged around a 1/2 mile to a mile or so before the start of the race.
Run
  • 23m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Blergh.

So I was wound up for this race. It was the first time I felt like I had a realistic shot at the Top 50, and I was pretty nervous. It was also the first time the race was chip timed. I got up towards the front and man was the setup stupid. In the middle of the start line they had the timing booth, so you bascially had a couple of thousand runners who had to part to the right or the left at the start line.

Of course when the gun went off you had the usual walkers at the front, who immediately got ran over by the runners. I had to fight my way through a bunch of people before I got out in front.

The first mile was fine, other than the fact that I ran it in about 5:45. Which was absolutely ridiculous. I think I was just too hyped up and maybe since my last race was a 1 mile race I was just stuck in that mode. Anyways, I obviously blew up after this 1st mile and sucked the rest of the race. I actually had to walk for a minute just to get things back under control. To add insult to injury I had to do it again at the water stop about halfway in. My mouth was parched and I just didn't feel good at all.

I got through it, but I wasn't happy about it.
What would you do differently?:

I would pace myself better at the start of the race and I would make sure I was adequately hydrated beforehand. I've never been so thirsty in my life, which is ridiculous for a 5K.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to the water and discovered to my horror they weren't handing out bottles. They had 2 volunteers pouring water into Dixie cups...that's right... a race that draws 2000 people and they had 1 table with 2 volunteers pouring the water. Nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own stupidity.

Event comments:

This was the 8th time I've done this race and usually it is awesome. But this year I was very disappointed by the inadequate water after the race.

Last updated: 2009-10-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:31 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 78/274
Overall: 92/567
Performance: Bad
Course: Downhill, then up to the cemetery, up some more through the cemetery, down and out, then one last big hill before the sprint to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No