BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-01-30 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2637987

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED
Hey LJ -

You're right, our group has been awfully quiet!  I'm gonna PM some ppl we haven't heard from in a while and keep bumping this thread.  Hopefully everyone's been busy out training.

That's awesome you're signed up already for 3 races.  And you're right, April's just around the corner here.  You're gonna do great though.  You've definitely got time to be ready to go.

Also, that class sounds great.  I'm curious to here more about it!  I've been asked to start up a similar group at my YMCA

2010-01-30 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2638530

Veteran
Hi Mary! 

Looks like those totals will have you off to a great start for the year!  I've got my fingers crossed for you - you can do it!!

I'm attempting a big swim goal for this week myself and have also been count days until the 31st!  One more relatively fairly short swim for me tomorrow & I'll hit my goal.

Hope everyone else is having a successful January, and if things haven't gone quite to plan - remember it's still early in the year.  Plenty of time to start building consistency and get ready for those spring races.

One of the main things that I look at when building out my plan is how it actually works in my life.  For many of you, you might be starting out by following a set training plan...maybe even the first time you've had a strict 'plan'.  I like to approach it by planning out my weeks, then 'test driving' the plan for a couple of weeks to make sure it's really doable long-term for me.  And yes, I start over with this every year - you'd think I'd have it totally figured out, but stuff changes.

A couple of examples I've figured out myself is to avoid triple workout days if at all possible.  Seems the 3rd workout never gets done.  Two is my max.  Also, I like to keep one weekend day off or very light.  That allows me time with the kids.

Lots of tri plans are built around a long ride on Saturday and a long run on Sunday, but imo - it's really tough when you have a family to take both up both weekends with key, longer workouts.  As a result, I'm a fan of the long run happening earlier in the week.  Wed or Thurs often works well for me.  And that leaves Sundays open

To the entire group - how's your schedule working for you?  It's only January, your plan should feel repeatable most weeks, not leave you scrambling and exhausted only 1 month into the year. 

Oh - and I'd love to see everyone's January totals - the good, the bad and the ugly    I'll post mine up tomorrow.
2010-01-31 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2572886

User image

New user

Emily - can you take a look at my training log?  What do you think?  I am setting my goals to increase run length/speed this week and also to swim at least 10 laps without stopping.  I am working on ways to slow down my heart rate while running, different relaxation techniques and trying to place my mind somewhere else.  I find that if I can keep my mind off of the fact that I am running I can keep my HR low enough that I can run longer!  Wow the mind is a very powerful thing!  Never had this problem with weight lifting!  LOL - so endurance is a challenge in many ways.
Any advise and inspiration is greatly appreciated from you or anyone in this forum!

Thanks!
Alicia
2010-02-01 5:41 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Very sad.  Did not make my January goals - came in 39 miles short of my bike goals.  OK - yes - it was aggressive and here's how I ended up:

Swim - 6500 yards
Run - 50.5 miles
Bike - 261 miles

Was really hoping for that magic 300 miles bike.

Maybe this month I can get that it...
2010-02-01 3:49 PM

Mary P.

Awesome numbers!!!
2010-02-02 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2645372

Veteran

Hey Alicia -

Took a look at your logs - first off, you're doing great with your consistancy!  

The thing that stood out to me with your swim was the use of the pull buoy.  I'm actually a big believer in the pull buoy b/c I think it really helps you relax and control your breathing.  However, it also alters your form in the pool and makes swimming easier, so imho - it's best used in moderation, especially when you're just starting out.   So my first tip would be to try and limit pull buoy (and any 'toys' - fins, kickboard, paddles, etc) to no more than 25% of total laps.

A strategy that I used when trying to build my swim endurance was to swim 3 lengths free/1 length breaststroke.  For me this was a repeatable pattern that I could keep up for a long time, and as my fitness improved I was able to swap out more of the breaststroke until I was swimming free continuously.  Obviously you can change around the ratio and what you're alternating (possibily free/kick, or free/pull), but that might help you get over the hurdle to 10 laps.

Good luck and keep us posted!

2010-02-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2646674

Veteran
Great job this month Mary!  You really rocked the bike
2010-02-02 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2645197

Veteran

Hope everyone's had a great January.

I wanted to post my totals just as a reference point and to let you guys know where I'm at too, especially since I do a bad job of updating my training log here.  I have a Excel log that I've used for years that I track my totals in, and right now I'm working with a personal trainer at the gym for some strength stuff (it's a 'Biggest Loser' type contest) who has me tracking in a different online log - so triple logging was too tough!

But here goes:

Swim - 25,250 
Bike - 152
Run - 34

My notes -
I didn't swim much at all the first part of Jan due to a sinus infection, but finished off the month with a big swim week.  I really liked the concept and I think I'm going to start alternating in a big swim or a big bike week each month.  So Jan was big swim.  Feb I'll go for a big bike week (aiming for 300 miles for one week

It was just fun having a seemingly huge goal to work for, and keeping it to one week kept it doable.

Running was light due to some lower leg issues, but went to my favorite running shop yesterday & did the full analysis.  Walked out with a new pair of Mizuno Wave Nirvanas w/ insoles, so I'm really hopefully this will get me running again.

Have fun training out there everyone - and stay warm!!

2010-02-03 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2619638

User image

Southwest Florida
Didn't see this post, I get most via email to my phone but have a hard time finding the group on the computer.

My tattoo is a sparrow with a ball of yarn hanging from its mouth.  I'll get a picture posted soon.  My daughter (16 yo) did a great job, it was her 1st tattoo on another person.  She did one on herself the day before mine.

My running is right on target.  I've changed my program this month so I'm doing 2 bike, 2 swim, and 3 runs.  The bike and swim I do more time and distance with just the two. 

Question:  I know many of you do Spin class, but do you add it as a bike ride or just sport?  I use it as a bike ride since I like seeing that I did my time on it and just estimate the distance.

I'm getting back in the groove with my swimming.  Yesterday I did 1300 yards and tomorrow I'm planning to do 1400 maybe 1500 yards.  Tomorrow it will be my first time swimming first then strength training. I don't know why I haven't done this yet since the sprints start with swimming.  I really need to start learning how to do things "backwards".

My first 5k is coming up on Feb 20.  It's an evening run and I'm really looking forward to it.  My daughter is walking it with another friend while I plan to run with other friends.  I'm hoping we all push each other.  I'm hoping it will inspire my daughter to take better care of herself now while she's still young.

If you haven't noticed yet I do read the posts (via email) but don't often post here but when I do I feel long-winded

Please feel free to check my training and give advice - I can always use it.

Mary U
2010-02-04 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2651729

Veteran

Hi MaryU -

Your tattoo sounds cool - I'd love to see a pic

Your new plan sounds like a good split, and good luck with your 5K

I'll be curious to see the responses on your question re: spinning.  You should post it on the main board - I'd like to see what others are doing! 

As far as me - I count it as cycling time.  However, I am very bad about getting enough bike miles in...it's always been the weakest part of my training.  So this year I've started something new where I'm tracking the split of my cycling time - spin classes vs cycling (outdoor or trainer).   Um, let's just say for January, I think only 38 of my miles WEREN'T spin classes.  Definitely an area I need to improve!!

2010-02-04 12:26 PM

New user

Hey Emily,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on the Tri-training class.  Here's the schedule.
Intro to Trathlon/planning/periodization
Run technique
Run intervals
Swim Technique
Bike Technique
Bike intervals/Threshold training
Nutrition for training/weight goals
Swim training and intervals
Race fuel
Run Intervals again
Bike intervals again
Swim drills and lung stressing
Strength/flexibiltity & transitions
Field trip to local bike shop to review equipment and gear options
Planning for the season
Race day preparation and race day fuel

This class has been amazingly informative. Hope that answers any questions.

2010-02-04 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2651729

New user

Hey there,
I also use it as a bike ride.  It would be hard to estimate mileage, I would think, unless you had a cadence sensor.  Especially since the goal of most spin classes are really interval training.  You should be changing cadence often from between 60 bpm as high as 110 bpm for short durations, which would change the distances.  The overall goal, so I've been told, is interval training at higher bpm's so that a regular cadence (70 - 80 bpm) now becomes your recovery as opposed to your high end.  Also, I've been told that spin class should be 2 or 3 times per week with 1 long ride on your bike either outside or on a trainer as weather permits?  I'm a newbie at this so I'm trusting that the Ironman I'm training with knows what he's talking about?  Hope that helps
2010-02-05 6:07 AM

User image

Southwest Florida
I appreciate any and all help and advice.  I love the Spin class but I need to go in the morning, else I don't make it at all.  I do a ride on my bike outside and will start increasing my mileage starting on Sunday to get all of my body parts used to doing more.  Some parts hurt more than others.  Also I'm sure once I get cleats for my bike it will help that much more.  They are the only thing on my Birthday wish list.

I ran outside today. So much harder than a treadmill although even my warm up felt like a faster pace as was my running.  I didn't do great but it's a start.  Haven't run outside since last April so I have to start somewhere.  I'm going to try and run outside once a week.  I did have some very good wind coming at me so it makes good resistance - I especially tried running faster with the wind coming at me.  My block is like a track - close to a mile once around and I did two rounds.  May try another mile or mile and a half tonight.

Have a great day.

Mary U

Edited by murquizo 2010-02-05 6:10 AM
2010-02-05 12:44 PM

New user
Cincinnati, OH

Since I don't even OWN a bike at this point in time... I use my SPIN classes as my biking.  I used a bike with the cadence markers (most don't have them) and I have found that on most 1 hour spin classes - I am logging about 25 miles so I use that as a good rule of thumb.  Even on my recumbent, I am getting in at least 10 around 35 minutes at a somewhat leisurely pace so I figure it's a pretty reliable number.

Had a fabulous swim this morning - 700 yds in about 16 minutes and 500 of that was continuous freestyle.  Straight out of the water and into a 45 minute spin class.  I am running 3 days, biking (spinning) 3 days, and swimming 3 days.  I have also tried to incorporate strength training 2-3 days a week but I am not as obsessive with strength training as I am with getting in my cardio - so maybe I should try to focus a bit more on that aspect.  I was just thinking this morning at how strong I feel.  Three months ago - I would never have been able to do this.  I am just totally shocked.  And the fact that I have lost (yes, folks - that would be lost) almost 9 lbs since January 1 has really helped boost my spirits.  Laughing

Also... last Saturday I got in my first 10k run.  Yea again!  So, I was telling a friend last night about how excited I was that I had finally hit that threshold and she said, "Why don't you just do a half marathon rather than a 10k?  You are almost there."  Well - as competitive as I am - my brain was saying, "You must be outside your mind!" but my pride/ego (let's be honest) was saying, "Well, why not????"  Has anyone had any experience with this?  How difficult is it making the leap from a 10k to doing a half marathon?  Am I just plain nuts???

2010-02-06 6:31 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
I JUST RAN 7 MILES THIS MORNING!!!!!!  It's the farthest I have ever ran without stopping.  I cannot believe it!!!!!  If the snow lets up here shortly, I may try to do a tri today with attending spin class and maybe wrapping it up with a relaxing swim.  Of course the time spans are spread out so it is really not a tri - but all three events in the same morning within a 6 hour period should count for something - right???  I think I can do it today!!!
2010-02-07 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2658379

User image

Southwest Florida
MaryP... GREAT JOB on your 7 mile run.  That is truly awesome.  Keep up the good work.

I did a bike ride this morning with a few other riders.  The wind was blowing from the North at 20 mph, does NOT make for an easy ride going but the return was pretty smooth.  I went a little farther this week than I've done in the last few weeks as I really need to start "upping" my time and mileage on my bike.  My whole body feels these rides and I'm usually walking a bit funny the rest of the day.  Tomorrow I'll do a spin class and hope I can sit on the seat ;\  I'll also be doing some running so I may save some of my run for after the spin class to start learning the transitions a little.  I know it's not the same but I need to start somewhere.

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy Superbowl Sunday.  My kids and I are going to some friends but will leave at half-time.  5am comes too quick to stay up late plus we're going for the friends not the football.

2010-02-11 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2659756

Veteran
Hey everyone -

Great training updates!  Sounds like everyone's doing great, esp this time of year, and this weather - UGH!

I'm shopping for trail shoes today after my regular running shoes kept packing full of snow/ice balls on my long run this weekend.  It was the type of run that 'builds character'   At least that's what I'm telling myself....

Keep up the good work!
2010-02-16 12:54 PM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
Dratted work and weather - it's messing up my work-out schedule!  I had to forfeit spin class last night due to severe weather (have I told anyone how much I hate snow? - record snowfall for Cincy this month) and I didn't get to run this morning as I had to be in at 5 am.  I plan on going to spin class after work but I won't get to do my Wednesday swim and spin in the morning as I have to be back in at 4:30 am!  Now I will have to go tomorrow after work which means late getting home...I hate having my schedule interrupted!  Don't these people know that I need a life outside of work??!!  It just makes me feel like such a loser to miss.  How can we balance working out and work?
2010-02-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2675696

Veteran
Ha Mary!  We're having the same thoughts today. 

My boss, who works in a different location than me, is in town all week.  It's putting a serious damper on my ability to swim over lunch time, primarily b/c it's closer to an hour & a half by the time I swim, change, have lunch etc...and that's going as fast as I can!

Work is totally overrated
2010-02-16 8:06 PM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
I agree!  Work IS overrated.  Although having some funding is important too - I am just not sure that my effort is directly proportional to the amount of funds I receive! I WILL hit my fitness goals this month which are the same as last month.  I need 300 biking miles, at least 6500 yards swimming and 50 miles running.  My distance is picking up though - instead of it being easy to get in 3.5 miles - my norm is more like a 5 which feels normal.   I WILL make my fitness goals!
2010-02-22 6:10 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
YES!!!! Just did my first full mile swim.  1800 yards in about 45 minutes.  Of course my arms are jelly but I feel like I really accomplished something this morning!

2010-02-22 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2685288

Veteran
Awesome Mary!  Congrats on a great swim

Hmmm - it's quiet here!  How's everyone else doing? 

I'm traveling for work right now and totally out of my regular routine (oops!) ...which I was thinking would be an interesting topic - tri training on the go.

I have to travel a lot for work.   I find that running is usually no problem, but swimming and cycling poses a bit more of a challenge.  Due to airline fees, I almost never take my bike with me (only for races or very specific events).  So I often try to check out a local spin class or two.  The YMCA has a reciprocal program where members of YMCAs that belong to the program can use other Ys.  I've definitely taken advantage of this before for spinning & swimming.

Also, I try to hunt down local runners b/c they know the best trails, etc.  I'm kind of a wimp and worry about safety since I often travel to large cities, so that's where I really rely on the local knowledge.  And plenty of treadmill time in the hotel fitness center.

Anybody have any creative solutions or challenges when it coming to travel & training?
2010-02-23 6:08 AM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
It is quiet on this posting...  I also belong to a gy that allows me to use the other facilities around the country (I belong to LA Fitness) so I find that very helpful when I travel as there is usually something close.  Being safe in a big city of which you are unfamiliar is important - especially as a woman.  I know I have put myself into positions where I was by myself in a not too safe area and thought afterwards - that was probably not so smart (like downtown Mexico City where my driver who didn't speak English dropped me off at the wrong hotel and I contemplated just sleeping in the airport to catch my early morning flight.  Yea - not thinking well on that one...)

Anyway - I know that I have brought this up before... but I stepped on the scales last night only to find that I have gained two pounds.  I just cannot take this type of fluctuation - ESPECIALLY with the amount of miles and training that I am putting in.  Anyone else who would put in the kind of miles that I am would have lost 20 lbs. by now.  To say that I am disheartened by it is an understatement.  Not that I plan on stopping but it just does not make any sense.

Also - anyone have words of advice on doing a half marathon?  I am logging between 5 and 7 miles every run now and I heard that once you can run an hour comfortably, then doing a half would be easy.  Anyone else hear that?
2010-02-27 3:40 PM

New user
Cincinnati, OH
9 miles this morning.  WOO HOO!!!!!!!
2010-02-28 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2697148

Veteran
Hey Mary - Way to go on the 9 miler!!  

I'd say you're totally set for a half marathon.  To back up and answer your question, I was going to suggest that - imho-  being able to run an hour comfortably would be a good starting point for half marathon training plan.  By this, I mean about an 8 week plan.  There are some really long HM plans that basically start from close to zero, but from a 1 hour run, you could easily be 8 weeks out from a HM. 

ITA on the weight stuff.  It's so tough.  Number one rule (in my book) - ignore any comments/advice from males on the subject.  I don't know what the difference is, but guys just seem to lose weight SO easily when training alot.  My personal experience training through all my ironman races is that never, ever, did the weight just come off easily.  Even at 20 hour weeks.  I've always had to be very clean with what I eat and watch calories closely.  Sucks, really.  

I'm struggling with this myself right now.  Just trying to lose the 15 (!!! WTH !!!) pounds I've gained since IM Wisconsin.  Thank goodness tomorrow is another Monday.  Another day and another week to work towards getting back on track.

Happy March & positive training vibes to all the lurkers out there!!!  Jump on in and let us know how you're doing.  How was your Feb?  Any tweaks, changes, goals for March?

ps - my update is that I did a potentially crazy thing today.  1)  I'm a really bad mountain biker.  2)  I'm a very nervous mtn biker, thus #1.  So what did I do?  I signed up for an Xterra race - Eek!  I think I'm more nervous about this than I was about my last IM.  At least it's not til the end of August.   Sooooo...my goal for March is to find my mtn bike.  And make sure it's still functioning.  Riding it would be a bonus.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ersmith29's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6