1st Place Sports
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 14m 30s
Overall Rank = 459/750
Age Group = m50-54
Age Group Rank = 37/59
Pre-race routine:

Treated this like any other race day, did sleep in a little later than usual but still plenty of time to eat and digest. Small bagelw/ peanut butter, banana and a cup of coffee.Sipped on a gatorad prior to the run.
Event warmup:

Hung out in the gym to stay warm, it was cold outside but was going to be a perfect race day. Did a little jog just before start.
Run
  • 4h 14m 30s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first marathon, so I really took this as a good experiment toward a possible IM down the road. Wanted to feel the distance, make sure mentally I could prepare for it. And the outcome today was probably as good as it could have been for my abilities at this point. Only did the last 5 weeks of a novice training plan, I felt coming off my last two tri's that I was in good enough shape to go this route. I think it worked out really well. It was just an all around great day, I had fun, talked to some people I knew when I did see them and also spent some time chating with others as we went down the road. I started the race with the 4:15 pacer, he was a machine right on it every mile I did eventually lose track of him at about the 13 mile point, between one trip to the trees and quick aid stations breaks he just kept plugging away, but I kept him in sight and the cluster of folks he had with him. It really helped doing it this way gave me alot of confidence that my pacing prediction was right and I felt comfortable at this pace. As we approached the later stages of the run I started to do some planned stretching at the aid stations as needed, kept the IT stretched and back this was a good idea I used this strategy the remainder of the way from about mile 16 on in. At about mile 18 you could really begin to see the effects of the distance on other runners more were walking, stretching and in general really starting to struggle. Since I was only just feeling the effects of the distance but not having any problems with running it helped me through to the end. From mile 20 to the finish I could defintely tell this is where things can go wrong, the tightening was there and as I picked up the pace for the final 10K I could feel the cramp man just waiting on my right quad, so I backed off a bit and didn't have any issues. 59 minutes for the final 10k was a great feeling and I'm proud of what was accomplished. And as I crossed the finish line a thanks to the Lord for a great day.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around a bit, found the family and sat at mid field for awhile and talked about the experience. Did some stretching and relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

Had a great time, it was the right course for a first timer and will most likely do it again next year. My season is now complete a short break for Christmas and I'll ease back into next years training.

Last updated: 2009-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:14:30 | 26.2 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/59
Overall: 459/750
Performance: Good
Course: Flat!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-12-22 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: Jacksonville Bank Marathon

2009-12-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2573424

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Jacksonville Bank Marathon
Awesome... you got to check this mark off within the 09 boundaries.
Good insight reading your notes. Stretching ahead of time at the water stations had never cross my mind before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Bank Marathon Rss Feed