General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New store dedicated to the MultiSport Lifestyle in the Bucks/Mont area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-28 4:00 PM

Subject: New store dedicated to the MultiSport Lifestyle in the Bucks/Mont area
Hi all - I have been approached to invest in a store that will be dedicated to the Multi-Sport lifestyle and will focus on 'high-end' swim, bike, run, and yoga gear and apparel. The store will offer a wide range of products and traditional bike services, spinning and yoga classes, bike and triathlon coaching, and will sponsor local clubs and teams. Bikes being considered are Jamis, Orbea, Specialized, Trek, Fuji, and Felt. Apparel from Nike, Saucony, Brooks, and other popular running companies will be available. And the staff will be Certified coaches, mechanics, and those passionate about the multisport lifestyle.

The question I have for those living in Montgomery and Bucks County, PA is will this store be successful and is a store dedicated to multisport needed in this area? We are in the process of conducting extensive market research.

2009-12-29 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2580706

User image

Expert
Bucks County
Subject: RE: New store dedicated to the MultiSport Lifestyle in the Bucks/Mont area
I would hope so guess it would depend on a couple factors like location, level of expertise, customer service, and pricing

good luck and keep us posted

Edited by Joe_h 2009-12-29 12:23 PM
2009-12-31 6:28 AM

New user
Subject: RE: New store dedicated to the MultiSport Lifestyle in the Bucks/Mont area
Playing devil's advocate.

You guys have lofty goals.  It would be awesome if you can pull it off, but most stores just selling gear can't beat the prices on the internet.  The additional services would be nice, but are often included in gym memberships where people swim.

Look into places that offer computrainers for group workouts, as that may be a viable source of revenue.  Ironically, I don't think Philly has the large dispensable income group that participates in triathlon, compared to other cities.

Good luck though, the additional services can only help the community.
2010-01-04 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Steeler36 - 2009-12-28 5:00 PM

A. focus on 'high-end' swim, bike, run, and yoga gear and apparel.

B. will this store be successful and is a store dedicated to multisport needed in this area?

If A, then not B, for me.

2010-01-04 2:50 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I would suggest that you would likely be overlapping on turf that these guys try to cover.  I have no idea if it will work.  I do know "these guys" failed in an effort to branch into NYC--though fixed costs there are obviously far greater than what you would be looking at.
2010-01-14 5:41 PM

Though I am brand new to these forums, I am a business owner in Montco....

Your money would be much better of invested in TIPS or just a simple fund that mimics the S&P 500. 

A brick and mortar store for the multi-sport lifestyle sounds like a big cash drain to me. 

either way best of luck

peace
mf

2010-01-14 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
I personally would love a store like this. I live in BErks but Montgomery is way closer than NYC or Philly for me. I would love a one stop place to actually see and feel tri products rather than order them online with a prayer. Maybe it could be a place where you offered coaching and seminars. Im very excited please don't play with my emotions.
2010-01-24 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
I've been thinking about this for a while...

I think the store would be a great idea- follow your dream, don't hesitate to do it.  But, do it right.  I don't exactly know what right is, but here are some thoughts...

Focusing on just high end gear will limit your paying customers to high income racers that may not be buying right now.  I work in Mont Co and know that they are hurting financially in that area as well.  The school district I work for is hurting as well because of the loss of tax base in terms of businesses and home ownership lost.

You may want to have a variety of gear (quantity depending on size/ space) that will have attract a variety of customers.

I have walked to (with the intentions of going in) and not gone into a tri store in the Philly area (in Manyunk) because the items they had in the window were definitely high end and what I could see beyond the items in the window were high end as well (of course, I was in the area to eat, but knew of the store and wanted to check it out).  Now those were jsut my impressions of it, I may have been wrong...

If you had more than high end gear, you would increase your clientele and increase your chances of repeat customers

You may want to have an area in the store for yoga or spin classes for a variety of levels.  This may help attract customers as well

Now, I am not a business owner, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

Good luck in following this dream!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New store dedicated to the MultiSport Lifestyle in the Bucks/Mont area Rss Feed