Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Swim Instructor Montreal Area Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-07 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
Subject: Swim Instructor Montreal Area
Bonjour,I am looking at improving my swim stroke and I think a swim coach to get started would be of great help. Anyone have any recommendations for a coach specifically for stroke improvement and drills?I am on the west end of Montreal but would drive a bit if I had to.Merci and thanks.

2010-01-07 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2601051

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim Instructor Montreal Area
Pointe-Claire has a great master's team.

Is that something you would try or do you want a few private sessions ?
2010-01-07 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2601571

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
I did look briefly at the Pt. Claire Masters while surfing the net. I am not sure I am ready for a Masters Team. There is also the issue of registration and place within the group. My understanding is that I had to register last September. I could contact them for more info.I can splash my way up and down the pool and am comfortable in open water but I have never had any coaching of any kind and think I could benefit from some structured training and "proper" technique.Marcaq: Are you a member of the Master's Team?Thanks.
2010-01-07 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2601651

User image

Extreme Veteran
I swim masters but downtown Montreal. I know Pt-Claire is a good team.
Many teams do have more beginner swimmers and there is no better way to improve.

Give them a call you may be surprised.

If I hear of one of our coaches being available on the west island, I'll let you know.
2010-01-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2601665

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
That is excellent advice. I will try to contact them. Thank you very much!
2010-01-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2601683

User image

Veteran
Montréal

I'd be happy to help  but unfortunately, I don't swim.
If you don't find anything, maybe the guys at Spec performance/Natation Plus could help you find someone in your area.

If anything bike or run related come up, don't hesitate...

2010-01-08 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2601683

User image

Extreme Veteran
bill0021 - 2010-01-07 7:44 PM That is excellent advice. I will try to contact them. Thank you very much!

If that doesn't work, PM me, I am sure we can find you someone.
2010-01-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2602289

User image

Expert
Montreal

When life doesn't get in the way I swim at the Beaconsfield rec center with the master conditioning group.  None competitive program for all skill levels.  A coach is on hand to provide swim sets based on the skill and fitness level of the swimmers and also help in stroke and technique.

The winter session starts on the week of the 16th.  Tuesday and /or Thursday nights from 8:30 to 9:30.  For myself  , a resident of bcsf  it works out to about $5:00 a swim.  out of towners might be a bit more.  I check availability last weekend and they were about half full (max 40 swimmers = 5 per lane).

Mike

2010-01-08 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Beaconsfield is a nice pool. Good idea

Here is a link to all the swim clubs for Lac-St-Louis.

http://www.fnq.qc.ca/bottin.asp?IdR=9

I see even John Abbott has something, not sure if there are masters there, but you can call.
2010-01-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2603321

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
John Abbott is my usual pool since moving back to Montreal. It is on my way home and the hours work well for early evening swims. The Beaconsfield Pool is minutes from the office.The Masters Program at Beaconsfield sounds like it might be a good fit for me. I am going to check it out this evening or weekend.Merci Beaucoup. This is excellent information. Thank you for sharing.
2010-11-18 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2603544

User image

New user

Bill what did you end up doing?  Both my wife and I will be looking to join a Masters Program on the West Island in the New Year.  Your experience would be interesting?

Rob
http://twitter.com/#!/rbirse
www.nevertri.com 

2010-11-22 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3216724

User image

Expert
Montreal

Rob,

Are you new to the west island or just to swimming?  Pointe Claire has a club if you are  seroius and have some experience in swimming.  Pointe claire just opened their new pool. Very nice! DDO also has a master program.  DDO pool  is under renovations at this time and the masters program is in the small back pool.  They are suppost to be up and running in the big pool by the new year but I think they will be little late. 

I swim with the Beaconsfield Masters. ( when I have a chance to get to the pool).  It's more of a master conditioning.    We typically swim between 2300- to 3000 m during the hour. Typically not more that 4 peope per lane.  I have often had a lane to myself. Registration is a max. 40 people, the pool has 8 lanes.  5:1 ratio.  I have heard that the other pools have a higher person to lane ratio.

The coach is more than willing to  with you on whatever you wish, stroke , speed , endurance.  

Mike
2010-11-24 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3221415

Hi Mike,

I am new to Montreal and Canada. I would like to know more about the swimming here. What does DDO means and stands for?

Also, what is Beasconsfield Masters about? Are they a team to train together with a coach? where do they normally train?

Thank you very much!
2010-11-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3224447

User image

Expert
Montreal
Rob

DDO is short for the city of  Dollard-des-Ormeaux.   Beaconsfield masters is a conditioning program that is instructed by on of the BBF coaches ( Beaconsfield Blue Fins is the city's competitive swim team for kids from 5 and up.  The team sent two swimmers to the 2008 Olympics).  

We are not a team but a bunch of people that get together to keep in shape.  the pool is located at 1974 Beaconsfield Boulevard, right behind the city hall, midway between Woodland and St-Charles.

I swim Tuesday and Thursday nights from 8:30 to 9:30.  This session is ending mid dec.  the next session starts mid Jan.   My cost as a resident of the city works out to be about $5:00 a swim.
They also have a late morning time slots 9:00 or 10:00 but I am not sure exactly. 

If you want to see what type of sets we do, check out my logs.  If you need more info PM me and I will give you my number .

Mike
2010-11-25 12:53 PM

Hi Mike,

I'd be interested in that class too; I noticed that you said you swim Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30 to 9:30 at night, but I also noticed that the recreational lap swimming is 9:30 to 10:30 on those nights. Does this mean that you guys rent the pool for a season? How does it work? Do you pay everytime you go to the pool, or is it a registration thing, and if so who should I contact?

I also checked out your log, and frankly speaking was a little intimidated. I consider myself to be a decent swimmer (middle of the pack for the two sprint triathlons I have done) but I am a lane beater - front crawl back and forth, back and forth. I don't want to hold up the group if everybody else is doing intervals and IMs and so forth. I haven't swam competitively since I was 14 and my form is probably pretty lousy...

2010-11-25 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3226094

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hi Kmarion

First post !  Welcome to BT.   Make sure you head on over to the introduce yourself thread.  

The activity is set up by the Beaconsfield Recreation.  Same way as swimming lessons or the summer camps  for your kids. Therefore you have to register at the Rec Center when the registration opens for the next sessions.  The sessions are typically 12 weeks long and you pay for the night or nights that you want to swim.  Currently I am registered for both Tues. and Thurs.  

Yes there is recreational lap swim at 9:30 on Tuesdays right after masters. I sometimes stay a swim a few extra meters.  The time has changed to 7:30 on Thursdays right now because they canceled the Thursday night aqua-fitness class.  If I get to the pool early on Thursdays I will swim  before masters.

The program accommodates all skill levels, you go at your own pace and speed.  You find a lane with people of the same level. 

If you would rather switch free instead for fly in an IM set, that your choice.  Nobody will  care.

Yes you can ( and I do when life permits)  swim during the adult swim times but I enjoy having other people around in times of misery. 

Mike

2010-12-03 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Just a heads-up if you are considering to join.
Because I am in the program now I was able to pre-register for the next session. I think Registration for the Jan session starts next week for Beaconsfield residents. And the week after fon non-residents.  

Mike    
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Quebec » Swim Instructor Montreal Area Rss Feed