USA FIT
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my wife Annie's first race over 5 miles. She is training for the Austin Marathon in Feb and we thought this would be a good race to try to help prepare. I agreed to try and pace her for most of the run and fight my normal meathead urge to race. We stayed at the Town Center Marriott and had a nice dinner the night before at a Japanese place right across the street.

For breakfast we each had a banana, some coffee, and a zone bar to get something in out bellies! And then headed out to the frigid morning.
Event warmup:

None. It was 25 degrees and absolutely freezing. My best split of the day was my run from the car to the timing chip booth and then back to the car! After a prolonged wait at the porta potty line we barely made it to the starting line to hear the gun.
Run
  • 1h 55m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

We started out at the back of the pack. As we were jogging to the start line we heard the gun go off - not very well planned by us! It probably took 2-3 minutes for us to get to the timing mat. My guess is that about 1700-1800 people were participating.

We zigged and zagged and after 2 miles found some open road and it was a nice easy run from here. Around mile 3 Annie was struggling with her breathing due to the cold weather. Us Texans are not used to sub-30 degrees - don't laugh you Yankees because we would smoke you in 90 degrees with 80% humidity (-:

She started to feel better and get control of it when the sunny came up shortly after. At mile 6 I had to find a porta potty and unload some gatorade. I told Annie to just keep running and I would catch up. This gave me a chance to stretch my legs a bit and it felt really good. I caught up to her right before mile 7.

At mile 7 I was still feeling really good and told Annie I wanted to run a little harder, she agreed and I upped my pace to 8-8:15/mi right around the 8 mile mark. At this point I passed a ton of people and bumped into a couple of guys I did the Texas Trail run 50k with. They were doing the full marathon. We talked for a few minutes and then I took off again.

According to the Garmin my finish time was 1:55:05. I had forgot to turn the auto-pause off and it probably paused when I made the bathroom pitstop so it might be a minute or two off.

Annie found a second wind and finished really strong at 2:02:33. She had a big smile on her face crossing the finish line and I was really proud of her. She did awesome and is ready for the Austin Marathon.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, except get our pansy butts out of the heated car sooner and get to the starting line in time. But it was sooo warm in the car!
Post race
Warm down:

Got our finshers medal and long sleeve tech tee and headed back to the hotel for a warm shower and an awesome brunch. We chowed at the brunch!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Overall the race was good for it only being in it's 2nd year of existence. They had an awesome group of volunteers and the police were everywhere controlling traffic. The hotel we stayed at was the "Host Hotel" and we paid a couple extra bucks to stay because we thought a shuttle was available and a pre-race breakfast. Well, the shuttle didn't provide service to the race and the breakfast didn't open until 7am which was the start time of the race. Would have stayed at a cheaper hotel otherwise. But still had a great time!

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Garmin data - 13.18 miles; 1:55:05; Avg Pace 8:43/mi; 1610 calories; 155 avg HR. Mile 1 pace - 9:28; Mile 12 pace - 8:01
Course: Started at 1400 University Avenue (not sure which University this was?). Out underneath US-59 into the Telfair community then turnaround and comeback. It was all on the roads and the police had everything blocked off from traffic. Nice, easy course. Mostly flat. Lots of awesome spectators cheering on the runners!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-10 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: USA FIT Half Marathon

2010-01-10 5:15 PM
in reply to: #2606202

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: USA FIT Half Marathon
Congrats on the race and congrats to Annie for her first HM. How about that frozen portopotty!!
2010-01-10 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Awesome race, there! And congrats to your wife, she did super well! She's totally ready for her half-mary if she keeps doing what she's doing!  
2010-01-10 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
congrats to you and annie!   great job!!
2010-01-10 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas
Congrats on the race. Hell I am impressed that you got out in that weather at all. It better not be like that for us in Austin!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USA FIT Half Marathon Rss Feed