Addison Midday Rotary
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 16s
Overall Rank = 170/201
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 13/19
Pre-race routine:

Ate cereal and banana. Changed a couple of times because I wasn't sure how cold/hot I would be. I'm a sissy in anything 55 degrees or lower but I knew I would eventually warm-up.
Event warmup:

The run was in my neighborhood so I was able to sleep in fairly late and just walk to the event. Walked over to KG's place, picked her up. Walked over to the convention center to pick up our race packet & t-shirts. Walked back to KG's to drop off t-shirts and shed extra layers.

Found Derek and Andrea and just walked up and down the street and chatting it up.
Run
  • 1h 10m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 10k race. Shoot, first 6.2 mile run EVER in my life. I suck at running, I do not enjoy running, but I know I need to get better. Did this race as a long training run in preparation for half marathon in March.

First 1.5 miles I was a little tight but warmed up soon after. My plan was just to go slow and steady since I've never run this far. Felt good, nice easy conversational pace and then "the bridge". I've driven over the blue bridge on Arapaho numerous times, but never have run it. Crapola....I live in the Dallas area for pete's sake....it's pancake flat so are all of my runs. Dang-it, this is going to suck. A couple pushing strollers blew by KG and I. Yeah, like that's not discouraging or anything. Got over it, ran another half mile, turned around and had to go up the darn bridge again. Ugh...memo to self: need to do hill repeats. Got to the half way point and I was feeling good. KG was hurting, so slowed down just a bit (we promised we would stay w/each other the entire time). Shortly after, I lost the squishy part of my ear buds to my ipod because I took them off to wipe the sweat off. Oh, I was starting to overheat at this point too. Just after that, "the bridge" was back and this being the third time going up it, I swore the entire time. So now I didn't have my ipod with me and my feet were starting to hurt. KG being an awesome friend/training partner she is took off her earbuds and kept me preoccupied by talking. We started talking about goofy stuff that we used to do and see at swim meets back in the day and were cracking up. Got a few dirty looks by people running the opposite way. Got to the turnaround and we were at mile 5. KG and I did a little fist pump as we passed the 5 mile marker celebrating the fact that both she and I have never run past 5 miles before. Oh wait, and then "the bridge" was there again. FML. The fourth and final time I went up the bridge I let out a string of profanity that was not very becoming of a lady. F'it, my feet were on fire now. Finally got over the bridge, now we were in the home stretch. Last .25 miles my feet were hurting so bad, I decided to go in hard to finish so I could finally stop.

Super excited that I hit another milestone in running. It wasn't fast or pretty but I did it. Besides going up the bridge I actually enjoyed myself. I probably could've pushed it just a bit harder but since I'm so new to running I tend to err on the conservative side.
What would you do differently?:

Hill repeats. Oh, and hill repeats.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate banana, cereal bar and then went to Norma's Cafe for a late breakfast with Derek, KG and Andrea.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just suck at running.

Last updated: 2009-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:10:16 | 06.21 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/19
Overall: 170/201
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back, 2 loops.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-01-16 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: Resolution Run

2010-01-16 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2617423

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Resolution Run
Great run for the first time at that distance!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution Run Rss Feed