United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 38s
Overall Rank = 2/289
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up,. grabbed some coffee and oatmeal then headed down the block to the race start.
Event warmup:

Jogging to the start.
Run
  • 1h 28m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

My coach wanted to gather HR data for me from this race. The plan was to run as hard as I could for 1 hour and collect the average HR. He would then figure out my zones from the splits and HR data. Problem was, I ended up in the lead for the first 3 miles. I realized that other than the guy drafting off me, no one else was within .5 miles. I made the decision at that point to back off the plan and try to hold onto a podium spot. I let drafting dude (Chad, I learned later) pass me at that point, with the intent of drafting off him for a while. Problem was, he had no intention of following my revised plan. He actually had the audacity to want to win this race! And boy did he, he sped up as he passed me and I couldn't match his pace for long. He ended up pulling way ahead of me and I could never close the gap. My goal at this point was to hold onto second. I knew third was about .5 miles behind me because I saw him after the turn around. All I had to do was hang on and not blow up. The hot spot on my left foot that I had been babying since mile 5, blew up into a full fledged blister around mile 9. Oh crap, life was going to suck for the next 4 miles. Luckily, I had enough of a lead that I could hold on until the end.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear those damn speedsters. I forgot I had the same problem the last time I wore them in a half.
Post race
Event comments:

There were not enough water stations, I counted 3 and 1 of them only handed out water in one direction.

Last updated: 2009-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:38 | 13.1 miles | 06m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/289
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the Western coastline of Maui.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-01-25 12:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Maui Ocean Front Half MArathon

2010-01-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2632562

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Maui Ocean Front Half MArathon

WHOOOOO HOOOOOO, Mikey!!  Congrats!!  You totally rocked it...I can't imagine your coach had anything negative to say about going to plan B!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maui Ocean Front Half MArathon Rss Feed