In Motion
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 1s
Overall Rank = 3277/7105
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 320/846
Pre-race routine:

After a super stressful few weeks at work that made my training less than optimal, I headed down to San Diego late Friday night and met up with my sister. We went to Hamilton's for a few beers with some of her friends, and she sprained her ankle pretty badly on the walk home. Her boyfriend was already out of the race because he was sick, and now she was injured, but she planned to try anyway. Saturday was a nice relaxing day - we went to the expo to check in, then went to brunch, then just hung out for the rest of the evening and went to bed early.
Event warmup:

The usual - we got up early, made some coffee, headed up to Carlsbad and met up with my dad. We opted to wait in the long bathroom line inside the mall, where it was warm. I had on shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, so I was pretty cold when we were just standing around outside.
Run
  • 2h 10m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My primary goal was to average less than 10 minutes per mile, and I planned to maintain even splits. I had started in wave 5 with my sister, so at some point I had to start passing people. I hit the first mile at 11:00, so I had some time to make up. I reached the 3 mile mark in under 30 minutes, so at that point I was on target. I hit the turnaround exactly on pace, and felt good through mile 8 or so. At that point it became more difficult to maintain my pace, but I managed to keep it up. At mile 9, I had some orange slices. I LOVE oranges during a race. Miles 10-12 were all about trying to keep up my pace. I hit the 12 mile mark at 1:59:47 and realized I needed to pick it up a little during the last mile. By this point my hamstrings were burning, but my knee was fine, so I just went for it. For the last quarter mile, I went all out. I had hoped to make it across in 2:09:XX, but missed that by 2 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I am really happy with how I paced myself and performed during this race.
Post race
Warm down:

My dad and my sister's boyfriend found me pretty quickly and told me that my sister had DNF'd at mile 9, so we went to our cars and made our way down there to pick her up. Then we went and got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My less than optimal training. I started late because I had to spend close to a month recovering from Silverman, and then several long days at work caused me to miss a few key runs during the last few weeks.

Event comments:

It felt great to do this race and perform well in it after not getting to race last year because of my knee.

Last updated: 2009-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 320/846
Overall: 3277/7105
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a few minor hills, out and back along the coast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-27 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: Carlsbad Half Marathon

2010-02-07 1:31 AM
in reply to: #2637557

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Half Marathon
I'm sorry you didn't hit your 2:09 goal but it sounds like your race went well. You did a great job. What a great season opener and prep for Wildflower later in the season.
2010-02-17 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2637557

User image

McLean, Virginia
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Half Marathon

Fabulous job!  Sounds from your race report that you turned in a really solid performance, that is too bad about your sister, hopefully she was ok!  You were right, being up in Wave 1 was nice!  I did America's Finest City last year and started towards the back of the back, it was miles before I had breathing room!   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Half Marathon Rss Feed