United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 46m 42s
Overall Rank = 21/95
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/???
Pre-race routine:

wake up.....pickup sherpashwimmycoacher, hit speedway to refuel the gatorade and the van then over to the venue known as the Pettit Center featuring the Magnificent Oval. upon arrival up and over to the donkey corral and chitchat with some friends about the upcoming adventure known as the indoor marathon!
Event warmup:

5 laps........felt better than i thought they would and had me optimistic about being able to make up the time from the half marathon the day before (this is the second part of the Gold Medal Challenge)
Run
  • 3h 46m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

wow, k, so the gun goes off and the lead group (featuring the person in first place overall for the gold medal challenge) takes off.......me not wanting any part of that pace at all settled into a 1:52 per lap (plan was about 1:55-1:57 per lap)....felt ok and used the nutrition plan from the day before for this as well. lap 30 the wheels started coming off, or in this case, the feeling leaving my toes on my left foot. not good as i have been lapped by the leaders already and have settled to just finishing strong.......well still had over 60 laps to go tho!!! let the sufferfest commence!! was really strange tho cuz even tho i couldnt feel my toes the entire race, i would have stretches where i felt like complete crap and would have to walk followed by stretches where i would feel fine and dandy. during one of my "crap" stretches i had a severe blood sugar crash which was remedied by the awesome volunteer staff getting me a banana and an oatmeal cookie. less than 20 laps to go and i was feeling great......knew by then i wasnt going to win the GMC or my age group so focus was to finish strong. had lots of help along the way with my mom and my brother and his daughter there, also there cheering me on were my inlaws, andreas aunt and also her cousin, in addition was andrea and my son toby..........lots of donkey's and then three crazed ladies in the stands that are named lrunfit, lunatic and schwimmycoacher.......each lap they would do something different ranging from singing and dancing to shaking their butts and sometimes even breakdancing........with out those people in the stands (especially those three crazies) it wouldve been much much more difficult...........anyway, so im cruising along feeling fine and looking forward to finishing with Toby on my shoulders!!! 5 laps to go, i tell andrea my plan, 4 laps to go i see her in position, 3 laps to go i get a smile from toby, 2 laps to go, toby watches me run past, no expression at all....come around for one lap to go and...........TOBY'S ASLEEP!!!!! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! kicked it in for the last lap then.

afterwards got cleaned up some, rubbed down some and ate some then went back to watch the highlight of the weekend. Tall TriDad surprised everyone and signed up for this challenge. not only did he finish, but he did an EEEEEf'nAAAAAWWWWWsome job out there and stayed not only focused but very positive and supportive to everyone else out there as well...kudo's to you pete, you are one of my new inspirations!!
What would you do differently?:

nada. was a great weekend of fun. wouldve like to do better in the marathon and the GMC but realistically?? i did 46.3 miles of racing over two days and couldnt expect much more out of this old body!!!
Post race
Warm down:

food, stretch, food, massage, food, stretch, food, change, food, stretch, food, go cheer on fellow donkey tall tridad for his epic finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the previous days activities, but im not complaining one bit!

Event comments:

again another outstanding event. mark it down for next year and register early or you are going to miss out.

Last updated: 2009-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:46:42 | 26.2 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/???
Overall: 21/95
Performance: Good
Course: oval. repeated 97 times (or something like that........)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-01-28 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon

2010-01-28 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2641081

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon
Way to go you crazy old man!!!
2010-01-28 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2641203

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Joe Runner - 2010-01-28 6:22 PM Way to go you crazy old man!!!

Yes, yes he is.  Woulda been crazier if he had the mohawk.

2010-01-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2641545

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Awesome job finnishing!  Maybe you are just  a little bit crazy
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon Rss Feed