Disney World of Sports
32F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 28m
Overall Rank = 7125/17127
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 525/1482
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race routine blown out of the water by being at Disney. On Friday I drove 8 hours then walked around Hollywood Studios for a few hours. Did manage to eat my usual pasta for dinner and get in bed early.
Event warmup:

Cold, wet, sleeting, did I say cold already? The wind chill was 24 degrees, it was sleeting and very windy. I keep thinking It's FL - how is this possible? There was no where to sit or stand that was out of the weather. Dressed in layers of clothing to peel off while running.
Run
  • 2h 28m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My first Half Marathon, so I didn't know quite what to expect. OK pace until miles 11-12. Those were pretty painful. Picked it back up for the last mile and managed to finish strong.
What would you do differently?:

Not get placed in the last start corral with the walkers. Spent considerable time and energy trying to run through the walkers on a very crowded course. It took me the first 4-5 miles to run my way clear. Also, run more long runs prior to race. I was a little unprepared once I got above 10 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down happened within about 3 minutes. Note for next time - bring dry, warm clothes. Within minutes I was shivering and miserable.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad weather, starting back with the walkers and a very crowded course.

Event comments:

I thought the race was well organized and fun. Running through the parks was cool. Although they could have made a few better provisions for the weather. It had been like that all week so it wasn't exactly a surprise. A tent and some heaters would have gone a long way towards making waiting in the parking lot a little more bearable. Post event food was below average - no bagels, nothing hot to drink.

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:28:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 525/1482
Overall: 7125/17127
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty Flat, except for overpasses. Very crowded course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes