General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Harriman, New York
United States
NYTC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 9s
Overall Rank = 125/200
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/35
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well. Up at 5:00. Bowl of cereal, 2 cups of joe. 1/2 hour later banana and peanut butter. water on the 20 minute ride to the race
Event warmup:

took a short run to get the blood flowing. but it was real warm so I didn't want to over do it. sipped a gatorade while waiting around.
Met a fellow BT'er, Ben (Exor)
Swim
  • 19h 24m 3s
  • 880 yards
  • 2h 12m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

The time above includes T1 because of the stupid timing system this club used for the first time (more later). Anyway I struggled once again at the start to get my breathing right. I had to stop and stand twice to regroup. (Thanks to the stranger who told me to slow dowmn and relax.) Frustratded this happened again but was finally able to find my rythym. Made the turn well but then my goggles fogged and I couldn't see a thing. Ended up in the middle but corrected that too and finished pretty strong. According to my unofficail time I was out of the water in 13:30, not bad considering.

What would you do differently?:

really concentate on going slow for the 1st 100 yds. defog my goggles or get a new pair for the race.
Transition 1
  • 06m
Comments:

Time here is hard to judge again cuz of this system. It felt good and fast anyway.

Nothing really
Bike
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

stomach cramps started almost immediately. didn't drink the gatorade, rationed my water. could've used more

Get a new bike, ride more and drink only water. get a new bike and oh, did I mention, get a new bike. It seemed everyone was on a Litespeed!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Again a guessestimate. But this was a really good for me.

Nothing
Run
  • 23h 24m
  • 3 miles
  • 7h 48m  min/mile
Comments:

Hard to believe this has actually become my best dicipline (thnx to Chi Running). Got a chance to pass a few people and that felt good after the bike

push a litlle harder a little sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

short walk, stretch and a cold beer (for the first time and a new tradition!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I dunno. The heat?? Just didn't feel it today. My taper was effected by a rash and I did short brick (8/ 1/2) the day before - maybe not a good idea.

Event comments:

No one was happy the timimg system used here. It was a disposable "chip" attached the bib that coudn't go in the water and couldn't be attached to a race belt. So it had to be left in T1 pinned to your shirt which meant that the swim time included T1 - stupid. I asked the race director about it. It's a money issue - he mentioned having to go after people who don't return chips. I hope he saw how unhappy everyone was cuz it really is a crappy system that doesn't allow you to accurately time transitions. Otterwise the race was good as i met two BT'ers, Exor and Dan (Jajeeman357). and best of all my friend finished 3rd in his age group (60-64). Under 2 hrs, quite impressive Dave (should he decide to join us here)A little disapponited that i didn't reach my goals of sub 1:40 and top 1/2 of my age group still had a good time and am even more motivated for my Oly in august. Oh and did mention I need a new bike!

Last updated: 2005-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
19:24:03 | 880 yards | 2h 12m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 111/200
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: triangle w/ buoys to the right
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:20 | 16 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Overall: 156/200
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: ah, the infamous hills of Harriman. Once again kicked my arse. I really need a new bike as I passed by the dozen on every single hill. It was really disheartening
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
23:24:00 | 03 miles | 7h 48m  min/mile
Overall: 40/200
Performance: Good
Course: out and back relatively flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: 20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series

2005-06-13 5:50 PM
in reply to: #173788

User image

Master
Subject: RE: 20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series
Mark

Those hills with that heat - you put in a very good race.

Congrats on the new bike! (I saw the other post)

Bill
2005-06-14 10:29 PM
in reply to: #173788

User image

Veteran
New York City
Subject: RE: 20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series
Mark,

Great review! Was fun meeting a fellow BTer. The advice you gave on this site, and at the race, was invauable for me and my first Tri. Your suggestion to avoid the "blender" on the swim was great, gave me space to figure out my own position in the swim. Man, it felt like it took forever to reach the bouy. I now have a real understanding of how much eaiser it is to swim toward land than to swim toward open water. I kept thinking to myself, where are those guys in the Kyaks are the close enough for me to swim too...but I kept going. I have to admit that the Total Immersion stuff that I've been doing proved to be really useful. I praticed alot of "rolling to sweet spot" and relaxing - litteraly a race-saver..I regret not praticing more open water swimming and sighting..my focus for my next tri.
Since this was my first tri I didn't have a clue as to what the chips would do, I clocked myself at 18min+ out of the water and about a 5min+ transition.
I haven't read it yet, but I see from the post here that you got a new bike.. I liked riding my old souped up Peugot that I bought for $100 about 15 years ago.
I really surprised myself on the run I couldn't believe that I came in at 23min+. Was really happy with my time on the run.
After my performace on my first tri I decided my next goal would be to finish a similar sprint in 1:40 or less..same as you..funny. Best of luck in reaching your goal. Perhaps I'll see you again at Harriman, are you going to do it agiain in Aug?
Oh another surpirse I had was the day after, no soreness or fatigue and was back on my bike today. Cool!
Thanks again for your support and words of wisdom.
Ben
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual New York TRi/Bi Series Rss Feed