http://www.midwestevents.com
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 10s
Overall Rank = 276/502
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 29/47
Pre-race routine:

first time .. so I dont have a routine.. imagine that. Anyhow, here is what I did
I woke up around 5AM and got dressed into my trisuit and some jogging pants and jacket. I had all my stuff packed from the night before so I just put it in my truck. I had a wheat bagel with peanut butter and a glass of pomegranite juice before leaving. Once I arrived at the race site, I got numbered and received my timer device (wrapped around my leg)... went over the transition area and put all my stuff out. I folded up my socks for the bike and running shoes. I attached on the number crap to the bike, a tank top (for running section) and the helmet. I waited until roughly 20 minutes pior to race start and then put on my wet suit.

Event warmup:

After leaving the transition area, I jumped into the lake and did a few laps to see how the water would feel. THe wet suit makes your float!! Holy cow I didn't expect it to be that much bounancy. The seaweed under the water creeped me out. Anyhow I felt pretty good after trying the quick swim... (to my shock later...its not what it seemed).

Swim
  • 20m 47s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible... major disappointment.
What would you do differently?:

use different googles. I used my training googles which were fogged and keep taking in water... the OW splashes (waves)... wasn't prepared. I need to train in OW MORE.. to get my sense of direction and comfort with the other fish and swimmers.
I definetly need to focus on the OW aspects..versus the pool only training I have done.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

I had issues taking off my suit... stuck at my feet ... im such a newbie!

prolly just sit down to begin with and use my gel on my legs so the suit ocmes off easier next time... I would definitly hustle more next time
Bike
  • 41m 31s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 19.51 mile/hr
Comments:

i felt good on the road... I need to work on my hill training and maintaining a higher cadence and speed ... I am thinking 20-21 would be doable on the same course ... next year

not sure at this point...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

another terrible transistion... almost the worse of the age group...

Hustle hustle... took the Transistion and rested too much...
Run
  • 24m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran under 8 min miles so I was happy.

run harder.... push myself... i was being to nice to my body.
Post race
Warm down:

water.... bananaa... hot dog.... skittles...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my mind ... the swim freaked me out.. I was ill prepared for the OW... my lack of hustle on the t1 and t2... need to work on that..

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race... I will likely do it again next to see how well I can beat my new PR! First Sprint Tri ... for me... now its a First Olympic next.

Last updated: 2005-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:47 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/47
Overall: 256/502
Performance: Bad
HR avg 151 HR max 163
Suit: Quntana Roo
Course: Out and back... 1/2 mile. DIrectly facing the sun. BIg plastic bouys every 200 meters or so. I was shocked...at my performance... I was NOT prepared for the OW swim. Suffice to say, I was pretty much blind most of the way... and the pure chaos the first 200m or so it just insane... people swimming hitting each other from behind and in front. It was very unnerving for me... the biggest problem was that I simply couldn't see. My google got water in them and then fogged up quickly.... all the time people are going in every direction and hands and feet are touching me from all sides... I felt like a sardine no doubt. Of course, all this did for me was make my HR go higher and really screwed up my breathing. I thought I could just do freestyle and maintain the course, but I was not prepared for the level of indirection. THe bouys were simply to far apart to reall gauge the direction I was going when I turned my head up to see.... I ended up just stopping and going into breaststroke to see where the hell I was going... I didn't kick anyone thankfully... nor did I get kicked... After 400-600m or so the pack broke up quite a bit and I could swim with enough confidence to switch back to free style for awhile... at least a while to then turn up and just see where the hell I was going.. At turn around point... I think I had been doing breaststroke for almost half the distance. I really felt depressed about that... even so.. I think I was doing mildly well... I put it back into freestyle for awhile and then stuck my head up to see that I was turning back into the other side of the bouys with a pack of swimmers heading in my direction.. I quickly dunked my head back under and swim in the other direction... Basically, any time I did the free style I just zig zagged back and forth... I probably did breaststroke for 1/2 the time.. I finished and started pretty strong, but the beginning just took the energy out of me and the lack of direction screwed me up pretty good. I finished in 20 minutes (guessing)..which is much slower then my pool time.. but then I did way too much breaststroke ...which explains the almost 5 minute lower time. Oh well, this is the first one... so I now I can only beat this time... and hopefully with this screw up it wont be that difficult.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:41:31 | 13.5 miles | 19.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/47
Overall: 237/502
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice rolling hills .. with no major climbs... going back was tougher.. with more gusts ....
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:02 | 03.1 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/47
Overall: 227/502
Performance: Average
Course: flat along the lake .. nice and easy... The first mile was grueling and I felt ill... I need to work on my leg landing technique ... I didn't feel like I was pushing hard enough
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: Manitou Sprint Triathlon

2005-06-13 9:27 PM
in reply to: #174325

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
Subject: RE: Manitou Sprint Triathlon
My first tri... I am pretty happy ... but a bit disappointed in my swim time... I did much better in the pool... didn't expect the OW to be so different... I need to work on navigation and breathing technique...  
2005-06-14 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Congrats on getting the first one done.  Open water will get easier with time. Solid work on the bike and run, too. Most importantly, it sounds like you had fun overall, enjoyed yourself, and want to do another, so that's a good outcome for your first.

-Rob

2005-06-14 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nice bike ride considering your dissatisfaction and description of the swim.

My first tri was in Nevis, MN in 2003; I swam the breast stroke the whole way and was quite winded at the start of the bike. My second tri was in Nevis last year and I swam the side stroke and felt quite good. The bike, consequently, went well. I got hooked on tri's after last year's race

I learned to swim an efficient freestyle this winter and it has helped my total times. If you are looking for a little inspiration on the possibilities for improvement you can check out my race reports. My biggest improvement is in the swim.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Improvement isn't hard, nor grueling physically. It just takes time to get the technique and base work done.

I expect that I will see you at a few tri's in the future? Minneman is close to you, but I can't make that one. What are your future plans?
2005-06-14 10:05 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
congratulations on your first tri! we were out at the lake after the race and it was fun seeing folks with body markings (and maybe a little envious that i wasn't racing). glad you had a great time. what's next??
2005-06-14 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
olympic tri... Lifetime fitness in July... wooohoooo... 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manitou Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed