United States
80'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 59s
Overall Rank = 736/1672
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 170/359
Pre-race routine:

Had some Cheerios and fruit juice for breakfast at 5am. Got dressed and left from my dad's house about 7 minutes away.
Event warmup:

biking a mile and a half after forgetting my timing chip at my dad's house. I realized it just as I was getting to the transition area to set up. Bummer. Flew back to the car, threw my bike on the rack and raced to my dad's. Got my chip and Bodyglide and made it back to the transition area by 6:15am. Found a good spot on the end of a rack and set up. Jumped in the water for about a minute just to feel the temp. nice! about 82 degrees.
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went out waaayyy too fast. Did not stick to my plan of pacing myself. Funny, I've never done that before, must've had a lot of adrenaline flowing. Anyway, was gasping for air after the first 200 meters. could not establish a rhythm the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

I will NOT go out so hard and stray from my race plan. Keep a steady pace and count to myself.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

Was still pretty breathless after the swim so I walked/jogged to T1, while trying to regulate my breathing. Felt pretty good by the time I reached my bike.
Dropped my goggles/cap, put on my BT singlet, helmet and sunglasses. Grabbed my bike and was off. Shoes already clipped to pedals. Worked pretty well, did the rubber band trick.

Practice my T1 transition a little more before the race. I was a little wobbly on my bike while trying to put my feet in my shoes. Practice, practice, practice.
Bike
  • 47m 12s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I did pretty well on the bike. Didn't really push it very hard. I shifted well, but need work on the uphills.

Should've stayed in the aero position more and make sure I have water next time. Also, I probably shouldn't be talking to the other riders so much if I want to be faster. I just like to give encouragement to others out on the course looking like they're struggling a little.

Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Didn't get my feet out on time. My right foot was out, but I was too busy geeking the camera for my husband and son as I went by them. Stopped completely to get my left foot out of my shoe. Jogged to my spot and tried to clean remaining sand off my feet. Put my socks and shoes on while standing. Grabbed my hat and fought with my hair.

I have to get both feet on my shoes before coming to transition. Also, need something to clean my feet a little better or maybe put some glide or powder on my feet. Ended up getting quite a few little blisters from debris on my feet.
Run
  • 32m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Fought with my hair and hat for the first half mile. Took a while to get my legs due to lack of brick workouts. Focused on keeping a slow steady pace and thought about my Chi Running tips. I have to say, it was the easiest run I've had at the end of a triathlon. Not the best time, but was taking it easy due to my hip injury and fear of reinjuring it. My hip feels good today!

Figure out something to do with my hair that will fit in my bike helmet AND my running hat. Hopefully I'll have more than 2 training runs before the next tri. Now that my hip is feeling better, I'll be more ready for the Danskin in July.
Post race
Warm down:

Had an electrolyte replacement drink and found my husband and son. Got to go change my son's diaper. A mom's job is never done! Then I had to feed him too!
It was great seeing my family at the race and after I finished. It felt so good to be back!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of training in the run hurt the most. My hip injury sidelined me for about 6 weeks and have only returned to running in the last couple weeks.
Need to up my training in the following weeks leading to Danskin. Overall I felt pretty good with my finish considering some of the factors involved. But no more excuses!

Event comments:

A great beginner's race. Lots of volunteers and many fans to cheer you on throughout the course.
The swim is a little difficult due to the tight lane turns. Lots of bumping into people.
This is still my favorite race though!

Last updated: 2005-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 800 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/359
Overall: 0/1672
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit only
Course: out and back six lap course. very tight in the turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:47:12 | 12.5 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap course- beginning slight uphill with headwind. The second half was pretty fast and slightly downhill with the wind. A few tight turns, but overall a good course. Lost my water bottle on the way to the race due to my panic in the morning.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:33 | 03.1 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-13 9:48 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: Reebok Womens Triathlon

2005-06-14 6:51 AM
in reply to: #174340

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Reebok Womens Triathlon
Great race, Brenda!!  We'll have to try and meet up at Danskin in July!!
2005-06-14 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good job Brenda! Glad to see you made it through your run all intact

-Frank
2005-06-15 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Brenda -

It was great to meet you!  Nice race, looking forward to Danskin!  Oh, and I love your new avatar, Triathlete and Future Triathlete!! 

2005-06-15 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race.  Hope you had fun...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Womens Triathlon Rss Feed