Sydney Australia
Subject:

2005-06-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: #174628

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Yogurt- low fat or not
try stonyfield farms brand nonfat yogurt- delicious, natural (none o' that aspartame crap) and healthy. I like french vanilla, lemon, key lime, strawberry, rasberry.....it's a little more money that dannon etc-- oh, just realized you're in Canada-- bottom line, go organic if you can!
2005-06-14 12:15 PM
in reply to: #174671

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-06-14 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
I, personally, hate with a passion non-fat ANYTHING. I'd suggest switching over to lowfat. 1% if possible, 2% if not. Of course, if you can stand the non-fat stuff go that way, but watch out for "secret" added sugar and other ingredients that are even worse for you than having a bit of fat is. Having one or two regular serving (6 oz) yogurts is going to kill you.
2005-06-14 12:39 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
I am also passionately non non fat. But I have found I really like nf yogurt, esp the blended kind- I can't stand seeing congealed fuit and having to mix it all in. I dump a pile of grapenuts on top, let it sit for awhile, and the yog softens them up and it is very satisfying...I can also drink skim milk, but Fat free cookies? ick. Cheese? no way (I am a true Wisconsin=ite)

OT, but, I saw fat free half and half the other day at the store. WTF?
the ingredients were something like "corn syrup, white stuff." ewwwwww.

http://www.stonyfieldfarms.com/

Edited by possum 2005-06-14 12:40 PM
2005-06-14 12:46 PM
in reply to: #174705

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2005-06-14 3:39 PM
in reply to: #174686

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
cadreamer - 2005-06-14 10:15 AMI, personally, hate with a passion non-fat ANYTHING. I'd suggest switching over to lowfat. 1% if possible, 2% if not. Of course, if you can stand the non-fat stuff go that way, but watch out for "secret" added sugar and other ingredients that are even worse for you than having a bit of fat is. Having one or two regular serving (6 oz) yogurts is going to kill you.
Yeah, watch out for the killer yogurt

Sheesh, I MEANT a regular serving of lowfat yogurt is NOT going to kill you.

Okay, I go non-fat (a) where I can stand it and (b) where they haven't sneakily added in a whole bunch of sugar instead of the fat and (c) where it makes sense. Non-fat milk is about the only thing that fits this though. Lowfat on most dairy products tastes just fine to me, and is a good alternative to full fat. But non-fat yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. all taste like crap. Non-fat salad dressing? Usually just a bunch of sugar in there instead of the fat. I'd rather have the fat, thanks. Non-fat cookies? What's the point?

Fat is not the culprit, usually too much sneakily added sugar is. Go for the "good" stuff. Olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, etc in your dressing and so on. Avoid saturated fats if possible. Seriously start checking ingredients. If the spaghetti sauce you love has tomatoes as the first ingredient and then "high fructose corn syrup" as the second ingredient you need to switch sauces.

As an example of this, I picked up a bottle of "Non-Fat" dressing and read the ingredients. Yeah, there was no fat, but there WERE three different kinds of sugar. "High fructose corn syrup," "honey," and something else I can't remember right now. So, how all fired healthy was that little item? This dressing would have been way more healthy as a dressing with a little oil in it and without all the sugar.

I guess my point is, you should eat healthily, which includes knowing what you are putting into your body. You can't assume something is good for you just because it's labeled "non-fat" or "low-calorie."
2005-06-16 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

I agree with Cadreamer,  you have to be really careful and read the food labels very carefully.

Something that is low or non fat will definately be low fat but to make it low fat they have to modify the food in some way. Often by putting sugar or refined sugars into it to make it taste better.

Always check the sugar or sodium contents of low/non fat foods.  The sugar is generally really high and often the salt content is alot higher then the normal product. 

I always go with the quality over quantity theory.  Have the product with the best ingredients ie organic yoghurt but just have less of it.

2005-08-02 11:25 AM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
I too have ditched Yoplait for non-fat plain Danone (with a pack of Splenda) because I was freaked out by how much sugar they put in the former. Stonefield makes low-fat plain yogurt in single serving size. Perhaps you should give it a try. Personally, I find it to be more tart than Danone. Also, the fiber additive in Stonefield gives it an odd "goopy" texture.
2005-08-02 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
I used to make my own yogurt (it's really very easy, especially if you have a gas oven). Now I buy the Trader Joes Organic Low Fat plain, and then just add fruit and a touch of preservers (organic, no sugar added, naturally).

Fat isn't bad, as long as it's part of your daily intake. You have to look at your over-all food intake and decide if you can spare a few fat grams for the low fat rather than the no-fat.

But, if the no-fat is just plain nasty, you're not going to enjoy it. If that's the case, I'd find someplace else in my diet to adjust my fat grams.
2005-08-02 2:39 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
i prefer low-fat to non-fat. i like stonyfield for snacking or desserts (vanilla low-fat stonyfield w/ frozen berries on top, YUM!). for smoothies i prefer seven acres (i think that's the brand). organic, low-fat, blends great.

2005-08-02 3:31 PM

I really like Stonyfield low-fat plain yogurt. It's not sweet but if you add a little fruit to it, it's very good. The Stonyfield fat-free vanilla is very good too but has added sugar.

Also there is a Greek non-fat yogurt (no sugar) that I can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joes - it's excellent! MMMMMMMMnnnnn.
2005-08-02 3:47 PM
in reply to: #214309

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
klo55555 - 2005-08-02 3:31 PM

Also there is a Greek non-fat yogurt (no sugar) that I can find at Whole Foods or Trader Joes - it's excellent! MMMMMMMMnnnnn.

I think I have had Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's. I think it's Total. The one I had was a full cream plain yogurt with honey on the side. Tasted like cream. Yummy! Actually I miss those Danone double delight yogurt. You can add as much or as little topping you like. Too bad they don't make that stuff anymore.
2005-08-07 6:52 PM

Expert
Brisbane
Screw the low fat.

The human body cannot live without fat and you obviously enjoy your yoghurt. Look at fat intake this way. There is the quarter pounder kind of fat that you can do without and the good fat that is still low fat even at 6-10%. If the taste is compromised by fat content and it turns you off eating someting you enjoy, whats the point? You will only end up eating someting else that will make up the fat content of the low fat anyway. Its like skinny cappucinos, the milk fat difference is only 2-3% between full cream and skim at 1-2% milk fat. I defy anyone to try and tell me there is a taste difference after adding coffee. Besides the amount of training we all do, a little dairy fat will disappear with a good training session.

2005-08-12 1:54 AM
in reply to: #174705

User image

Master
La Crosse
possum - 2005-06-14 1:39 PM

OT, but, I saw fat free half and half the other day at the store. WTF?
the ingredients were something like "corn syrup, white stuff." ewwwwww.

I'm kinda addicted to soy creamer, which is actually much better than it sounds. Mmmmm, guilt-free white coffee.

http://www.silkissoy.com/index.php?id=140

2005-08-12 5:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chris Tree 2005-08-12 5:43 AM

2005-08-12 1:01 PM

Veteran
Salem, MA

I agree with Possum...I really enjoy Stonyfield nonfat yogurt. It's organic, and it comes in some great flavors like "Chocolate Underground" (really cocoa-y, good enough for dessert), and "Lotsa Lemon" (nice and citrusy). I usually mix in 1/2 cup of Kashi GoLean for some fiber and protein. This is a great, simple breakfast that powers me really well until lunchtime.

There are few other non-fat products which are worth it. As others have said, I'd rather have some healthy fats, and count them toward my daily 20-30%, then take in a lot of added sugar and processed mystery ingredients that are meant to substitute for the kind of flavor and texture only fat can provide. I've also wondered about that fat-free half and half....what IS it?!?

I drink a 1 or 2% milk. I find light sour cream to be a great bargain -- excellent flavor and texture without the horrible, grainy effect of fat-free. Same for cream cheeses. Eating for training has taught me not to be too afraid of fats. We need them! Of course, it's important to limit the saturated fats, and important not to overeat fats.(which is easy to do if you're not counting, because fat has a lot of calories per gram; 9, I think.) But if you can't find a FF yogurt that you do like, why not eat the low-fat variety instead, and look for another place in your diet to cut the cals? Eliminating something with added sugar might do the trick.

2005-08-12 1:01 PM

Veteran
Salem, MA

I agree with Possum...I really enjoy Stonyfield nonfat yogurt. It's organic, and it comes in some great flavors like "Chocolate Underground" (really cocoa-y, good enough for dessert), and "Lotsa Lemon" (nice and citrusy). I usually mix in 1/2 cup of Kashi GoLean for some fiber and protein. This is a great, simple breakfast that powers me really well until lunchtime.

There are few other non-fat products which are worth it. As others have said, I'd rather have some healthy fats, and count them toward my daily 20-30%, then take in a lot of added sugar and processed mystery ingredients that are meant to substitute for the kind of flavor and texture only fat can provide. I've also wondered about that fat-free half and half....what IS it?!?

I drink a 1 or 2% milk. I find light sour cream to be a great bargain -- excellent flavor and texture without the horrible, grainy effect of fat-free. Same for cream cheeses. Eating for training has taught me not to be too afraid of fats. We need them! Of course, it's important to limit the saturated fats, and important not to overeat fats.(which is easy to do if you're not counting, because fat has a lot of calories per gram; 9, I think.) But if you can't find a FF yogurt that you do like, why not eat the low-fat variety instead, and look for another place in your diet to cut the cals? Eliminating something with added sugar might do the trick.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Yogurt- low fat or not Rss Feed