United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 35s
Overall Rank = 645/5528
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 90/478
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5....made coffee and had peanut butter toast..made sure i had everything in my bag i needed.....
Event warmup:

we parked by minute maid park where the finish is and instead of riding the shuttle we walked to the start to assist in getting our legs warm...met up with some of gaven's co-workers in front of the Hard Rock Cafe...ran the stairs by the hard rock 10 min before race and stretched...
Run
  • 48m 35s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my 1st 10K "race"....i felt really good about it because my #'s in training exceed this mileage on my long runs..used my Garmin 305 to my advantage holding pace and HR...as always very crowded at the beginning....didnt really fall into a good pace until mile 2....HR was nice and steady around 170 and up to about 180 during the climbs on the bridge and then would settle back nicely during the decents of the bridge...i knew i had a good pace and good HR by how fast my HR would settle back down after the climbs....i never really did much "hill training" so my strategy on the climbs was to speed up my candence and hold my pace and on the downhills i would slow my cadence and let the downhill pull me down and allow my heart rate to settle back down so i could get right back to my normal cadence and pace once back on the flats..
My goal was to break 50:00 so i really had to keep a good pace throughout because of the lack of a good pace at the beginning due the amount of people...from mile 2 i held a 8:00 or less and at mile 5 i picked it up to a 7:00 or less and let my HR come on up to right at Max for the last mile...worked out perfect! when i made the last turn to the finish i reached for another gear and it was there so i went with and pushed on thruough...i knew i was going to be done shortly and i knew i had my goal time beat so it was a good adreanaline rush all the way to the finish.. Beat my goal and crossed the finish line right at Max HR....

What would you do differently?:

Started farther up in line at the beginning...other than that...nothing.
Put it all out there and held nothing back... it worked out just right....
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and stretched...found the rest of our group...went to cedar creek and had a cheese burger and beers...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing...was a perfect run for me...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:35 | 06.27 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 90/478
Overall: 640/5528
Performance: Good
Avg. HR 173 Max HR 195
Course: Flat with bridge with a little climb
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right