The Cowtown
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 49m 37s
Overall Rank = 771/1200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 112/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early (about 4am) parked in a ramp close to start line and slept in the car until 6:30. Was worried about the traffic and parking with nearly 21000 people entered in all the races. Ate a Lara bar and drank a bottle of water at 6:30. Dressed in thin tights, singlet, long sleeve tech shirt, and thin sugoi jacket. also wore brooks vapor dry hat to keep ears warm. Also wore a cheap walmart sweat shirt to keep warm while waiting. 36degrees with light wind at 7 am.
Event warmup:

none really...just walked to start, checked my bag that had recovery drink in it and found my Coral (the slow pokes coral). Waited...cold!! Ditched sweatshirt as race got started.
Run
  • 4h 39m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Cold Start. Started strong and pealed off layers of clothing as the temp warmed up. was happy with clothing selection until last 3 miles when the long sleeve tech was just a bit too much...but too tired to take it off (singlet underneath). the uneven road at Montgomery set off my left ITB/Knee issue which really slowed me down. Intermittent walking helped but it slowly worsened. had to walk most of the last 3 miles due to the pain. BUT, when I came around the last corner onto Main Street and saw my wife and 2 boys, all was forgotten!! they were holding signs and yelling...that made all the pain worth it. I ran a full sprint up to them, grabbed the boys and ran with them across the finish line. I will never forget that!!!
What would you do differently?:

dress a bit lighter to be ready for the warmer temps at end of race. Bring the ITB strap brace with me (wrap it around Fuel Belt) just in case.
Post race
Warm down:

Tacos downtown with my family. I was so tired and hungry I was almost comatose. Ice cream at Marble Slab afterwards...yes, I even had a waffle cone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ITB of left knee and just plain old fatigued...

Last updated: 2009-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:39:37 | 26.2 miles | 10m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 112/
Overall: 771/1200
Performance: Average
Course: fun course, got to see a lot of Fort Worth. I especially liked the Colonial and TCU areas...beautiful. Heard there were some "hard hills" but I really didn't find any of them to be especially hard. BUT, the half mile stretch run on Montgomery Street at about mile 10.5 was terrible! The road pitches severely to the right creating a very un-level running surface. There were a few stretches of the course around the University avenue area where car traffic wasn't very well controlled and there were people driving in amongst the runners but overall the police and volunteers really kept things well controlled. Water stops were well spaced but would have liked more food along the way. only one location with bananas and one with pretzels. Finish was awesome, turning the corner on by the Convention center onto the brick Main Street and seeing the court house and hearing the spectators. Great way to finish!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes