General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression tights recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-04 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Compression tights recommendations?
Can anyone recommend compression tights/shorts you like? 2XU? CW-X? any other?

If you own a pair, can you comment on the difference it makes/ doesn't make for your running? Are they worth the $?
I'm training for my first marathon and have a somewhat sensitive shin (had to take a couple of weeks off just recently), and thought that compression tights might get me through my long runs more comforably and help me stay injury-free? Am I correct, or am I giving compression wear too much credit in this situation?

Any advice, recommendations or warnings are appreciated

2010-03-05 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2708879

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Compression tights recommendations?
At least from my experience, compression is best for recovery and not active wear.

I had a pair of 2XU Elites, they were alright, but nothing special.  I lost them.
I got a set of Zoot Recovery tights, they feel much more like a compression article should.  I have found they speed recovery for me after longer runs or really intense efforts, it takes me less time to recover.

I picked up a pair of the CW-X Insulator Stabilyx tights for skiing this year and must say I was very impressed with the quality.  Although I said above I did not think there is much benefit to using compression during the activity.  I did notice that they were especially warm and provided a bit more support to my knee and other areas.  I have worn them for running, and must say they are my favorite winter running article.

Since you said it is your calf, you could look into a pair of socks as opposed to tights as well.
2010-03-05 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
The compression area tends to be up to debate.  In terms of active gear (what you use while running), I don't have any real experience with any tights or socks.  I do own a pair of Nike running shorts with built in compression.  I was generally pleased with how I felt both during and after exercise.  On the recovery side, I am a big fan of compression gear.  I own a pair of Zoot Compression tights and find them very beneficial after hard workouts. 

I think the key for you might be focusing on the recovery side of things.  In theory, as long as you are not ramping up too quickly in volume, overdoing the intensity in training then you should train injury free.  Ice is your friend, especially in the shin area.  Also, insure that you are in the right pair of shoes.  For me, I start getting shin splints when it is time to change shoes. 
2010-03-05 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Like the others, i use compression tights for recovery not training. i use Zoot and like them very much.

2010-03-05 8:01 AM

User image

I too am looking/researching compression gear and it's benefits or lack there of.  I echo the thoughts of the other two above (as far as what I have read about compression gear and the consencus of recovery benefit).  As well as not ramping too fast, right shoes and ICE ICE baby ;-)
2010-03-05 8:09 AM

Regular
Germantown, TN
I got a pair of the Zoot CompressRx recovery tights during my marathon training.  I had a bit of sticker shock when I bought them, but after wearing them I am convinced it was the best investment I made towards my marathon training.  After long runs (20+ miles) I would put the tights on and put my feet up on the couch for an hour and I was ready to run again the next day.

The thing to remember is that the tights by themselves did not make me run further or faster.  But they did allow me to recover quicker so that I could work harder to run both further and faster.

2010-03-05 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Yes, forget the active compression tights and get the ZOOT recovery tights for post workouts.
2010-03-05 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Thanks, guys. Well, my situation is somewhat a reason for seeing compression gear for training. I took a (long) break having a second baby and didn't do much for 1.5 years, and now training for a marathon (and a bunch of other smaller races) in 4 months. Since 4 months is pretty quick, I did find I'm increasing the mileage too quickly (overtained 3 weeks ago and had to take time off because of that and the shin).. so, i'm looking for any help to get through this training time that's above average for my fitness level.

CW-X seems to go into quite a detail about using compression gear for training, not just recovery. I wear a Zensah sleeve on my right shin pretty much non-stop (except for sleep) and it keeps me running.. So while I wouldn't use compression tights for everyday training, to minimize fatigue and get through the long runs now, I would use them on long runs.
2010-03-05 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a pair.  I think they are CW-X.  Really I bought them b/c I just needed a pair of insulated running tights and they weren't that much more than the regular insulated, but they fit me a lot better. 

But, I wore them the day after my half marathon in the fall (too warm for insulated at the race) and they made me feel so much less sore.  I woke up sore that day, cruised around town making quite the fashion statement in my crazy tights, and by the evening, I was hardly sore at all. 

They are a little tough to put on though. 
2010-03-05 8:43 AM

Veteran
Kenosha, WI
Generally speaking I like the Nike Pro compression stuff because it does not have the leg seams right between, and down the middle of the inner thigh. 
2010-03-05 8:59 AM

Expert
Boise
Make sure that they are "medical grade" otherwise they're not doing much. They really need to be TIGHT to have anything more than a placebo effect.

2010-03-05 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
One more vote here, for the CW-X Stabilyx Tights.  I have a pair of the "insulated" ones, and I also have 2 pairs of the "Pro" shorts (the ones that come down to right above the knee).  I have to say, on the days that I wear the CW-X garments, I can get through my runs a bit easier and with less pain and soreness.   Just a word of caution...these things are super tight, so don't be surprised if it takes a bit of muscling to get them on. 
2010-03-05 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Thanks, everyone!
A question for those who own the CW-X tights.. how do they run, size wise? Pretty true to their chart? I think these are a pair I'll go with. I originally was going to go with 2XU, but I have a hefty GC to Sports Authority and they carry CW-X, so I think i'll get those, since they won't cost me anything..

right now, according to their chart, I'm a L, but in about 10 lbs, i'll be a M.. and since I'm actively losing weight now, I am wondering which way I should go.
2010-03-05 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I actually buy my CW X up a size as I'm top end of one size but buy the bigger one as they are more comfortable. I run in CW X and love the Zoot recovery tights to recover in.

A couple places have coupons if you buy on line and also check Amazon. Amazon's prices change often but I got a pair of insulated CW X tights for my husband for Xmas  at Amazon cheaper than I could find them anywhere else.

Do you have local running store that carries them to try them on. It really depends on your body if you could go down a size or not.

2010-03-05 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2710310

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Lyoshka - 2010-03-05 1:10 PM Thanks, everyone! A question for those who own the CW-X tights.. how do they run, size wise? Pretty true to their chart? I think these are a pair I'll go with. I originally was going to go with 2XU, but I have a hefty GC to Sports Authority and they carry CW-X, so I think i'll get those, since they won't cost me anything.. right now, according to their chart, I'm a L, but in about 10 lbs, i'll be a M.. and since I'm actively losing weight now, I am wondering which way I should go.

Hmmm...that's a tough call.  The pair I have is a M, which is where I fell on their sizing chart...and they are extremely snug, which they are supposed to be.  It takes me a good couple of minutes to get them on...seriously.   However, I bought them over a year ago...when I was about 10-12lbs lighter than I am now.  I tried them on recently, and I seriously doubt I could wear them comfortably for any length of time.  I think I'll be needing to order a size L in the very near future.   If it's possible, I'd say to try both sizes on first.  If ordering online, I'd probably order a pair in both sizes and keep the one that fit the best, and return the other pair.   Or...I can sell you my pair of Mediums for a good price, if you're interested....seeing as they really don't fit me anymore. 

Linda
2010-03-05 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Tough call on sizing. 

I have a small, and I'm about mid-way into the size according to their chart.  I could be 10 lbs lighter or 15 lbs heavier and still be the same size.  Even so, these things are tight...it is something like putting on a wet suit.  I have to start at the ankle and pull them up a few inches at a time on each leg.  It is only the legs (mostly upper legs at that) that are really tight.  The waist/stomach I have room in and I have to use the drawcord. 

I'd say if you have thinner legs and but are bigger around the middle, the smaller size will probably be okay b/c they are forgiving around the stomach/waist.

2010-03-05 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
hmmm tough to decide. I'm still carrying baby weight around the middle, but my legs are pretty shaped. I'm also 5'9", don't know if that makes any difference at all. Sounds like i'll be better off with a Large for now, but I *may* order both sizes and send one back. I'll go to the store and see if they have anything in stock I could try. I might also call a running store that I like to see if they have them in stock to try on.

Linda, I'll PM you-I may be interested in your Mediums...
2010-03-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2710502

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Lyoshka - 2010-03-05 2:18 PM hmmm tough to decide. I'm still carrying baby weight around the middle, but my legs are pretty shaped. I'm also 5'9", don't know if that makes any difference at all. Sounds like i'll be better off with a Large for now, but I *may* order both sizes and send one back. I'll go to the store and see if they have anything in stock I could try. I might also call a running store that I like to see if they have them in stock to try on. Linda, I'll PM you-I may be interested in your Mediums...

Sounds great!  And I just realized, that we're both in the Chicagoland area...so I could even meet you somewhere if you wanted to try on the Mediums.

Edited by nscrbug 2010-03-05 5:32 PM
2010-03-11 2:34 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
for those of you that already have compression recovery tights, how long do you usually wear them for?

i'm still trying to fully recover from a torn MCL and sitting at my desk at work is KILLING my knee. i wonder if:  a) these could help keep pressure on my muscle and keep it from tensing up  and/or b) could you wear them for several hours at a time or is it more for just ~30-90 minutes post workout?

also, does anyone wear them while they sleep? would that be bad? i sleep weird and my legs are usually sore in the morning so i wonder if sleeping in these would help relieve my soreness???
2010-03-12 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2709147

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
what would be a good price for a zoot pair?
2010-03-12 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2721287

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
TXNick - 2010-03-11 3:34 PM for those of you that already have compression recovery tights, how long do you usually wear them for?

i'm still trying to fully recover from a torn MCL and sitting at my desk at work is KILLING my knee. i wonder if:  a) these could help keep pressure on my muscle and keep it from tensing up  and/or b) could you wear them for several hours at a time or is it more for just ~30-90 minutes post workout?

also, does anyone wear them while they sleep? would that be bad? i sleep weird and my legs are usually sore in the morning so i wonder if sleeping in these would help relieve my soreness???

I will typically wear my Zoot recovery tights following the workout if I'm staying around the house.  They don't stay in place for me if i'm moving around a lot so I can't really wear them out under other clothes.  I also wear them at nights after long workouts.

2010-03-15 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
i ended up buying a pair of the Zoot recovery tights and new running shoes. i went out, felt good and ended up running 9.2 miles! the furthest i've run in 4 months. i wore the tights after my shower for about 2-3 hours. i was doing some clean-up and whatnot and the tights did have a tendency to slip in the waist but once i sat down to watch a movie it was a non-issue.

so fast-forward to the next day - i went out and stood/walked around the local St. Patty's Day parade for about 5 hours (sunburnt my bald head pretty bad ). but anyways, my legs felt FINE!!!! and i HATE standing around soooooo much but my legs held up MUCH better than i excpected. i was very surprised. usually the day after even a 6-7 mile run is hell!

anyways, i'll be trying these tights every other day or so following my long rides and runs but so far i'm pretty impressed.

if things keep feeling good i'll probably go ahead and get the LS recovery shirt as well for after swimming sessions and boxing classes.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression tights recommendations? Rss Feed