General Discussion Race Reports! » Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Manhattan, New York
United States
NYRR
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 18s
Overall Rank = 1481/5629
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 61/598
Event warmup:

Ran 6 miles to race start.
Run
  • 24m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a great race with a fun & challenging hilly course (just the kind of pain I love), BUT it's completely oversold. I'd like to say just the first mile was spent darting weaving, but I spent the next 2.1 miles doing much of the same. It was a bit ridiculous. At the halfway point I had to slow considerably bc there was so much congestion. Considering that I put in 6 miles pre-race, a crowded course with tough hills, and only being 7 seconds off of a PR, I'm pretty pleased with how I ran. Makes me excited to see what I could on a flat course :)
Post race
Warm down:

Corned beef sandwich and beer to fuel for the run home. Nutrition is key :)

Event comments:

This used to be my favorite NYRR race. It's way to crowded at 5,600+ people. The cap for this race should be much lower. It's a race, if runners have to slow down bc the street is too congested something is clearly wrong. Unlikely I'll do it again.

Last updated: 2010-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:18 | 03.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/598
Overall: 0/5629
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly out & back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-07 6:38 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run

2010-03-08 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2713061

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Subject: RE: Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run
HI Kelli- great job with your race and you ran there and back to top it off. Awesome job.
2010-03-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2713061

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run
The Shamrock run in Portland, OR is similiar.  I really enjoyed it when I first did it and now I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.  Just too crowded.  Although it is fun to watch all the newbies go plowing past you and then later running past them again.    At least they are out there I guess. 

Good job on the race.  Looks like your going to have to rethink your goal times with all the speedy runs you keep putting down.  Darn that training.  What's the saying?  It never gets easier, you just get faster. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coogan's Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K run Rss Feed