General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
Klein and Clark Sports, LLC
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m
Overall Rank = 324/464
Age Group = Clydesdale - 35
Age Group Rank = 18/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00 am, made coffee (mostly for my wife, but I took a few sips just to wake up). Took a quick shower to get the blood moving, by the time I got out my 4-year-old son was already dressed (anybody who has kids will appreciate that!). Ate a banana for breakfast (didn't plan that part out too well) and was on the road by 6:00 am.
Event warmup:

Unfortunately, my event warmup consisted of panic and frustration. As I zipped my wetsuit, something strange happened: it didn't zip closed. That's right, the zipper broke. After quickly scanning outside the transition area for the wetsuitrental.com booth, I returned to my rack and asked a fellow racer if he could pop the zipper back in -- which, of course, isn't possible on a wetsuit. He suggested closing it up with safety pins, but somehow I had the presence of mind to ask the question, "How am I going to get it off?!" I decided to just punk it and closed the velcro flap at the top, giving me quite possibly the world's first backless triathlon wetsuit! Fortunately, I did have a chance to wade into the water quickly just to feel how freakin' cold I was going to be.
Swim
  • 14m 56s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was brutal for me, in large part due to my wetsuit SNAFU. I was also so freaked out about getting kicked in the face that I never really got into a stroke, stroke, breathe rhythm like I had planned. Also, the fact that I was exposed to the water more than I had anticipated, I struggled to breathe quite a bit. As a result, I did a lot of breaststroke, sidestroke and gliding on my back to catch my breath. I also swam WAY off-course at one point and probably added and extra 50 meters for myself. After all this, I was pretty shocked to see my time -- I expected much worse.

Time Goal: 13:00
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't do anything differently, because it was my first triathlon and I wasn't all that concerned with my form or grace. But next time, I'll definitely stick more to my plan and do more freestyle swimming, feet-to-the-face be damned!
Transition 1
  • 07m 33s
Comments:

I was waaaay more tired from the swim than I anticipated being, so I was in no hurry to get through T1 (after the race my wife commented that I looked pretty rough coming out of the water!). I got back to my transition bag, sat down and got my wetsuit off quickly, then took a couple minutes just to gather myself and catch my breath. I had brought both a long-sleeve tech shirt and a tri-top, but I waited until T1 to decide which one to wear (didn't know if the rain was going to start falling).

I wouldn't have done anything different, I just would have moved more quickly.
Bike
  • 51m 51s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really happy with my time on the bike, especially considering:
A) I was riding a mountain bike
B) I had spent the previous six months training on a completely different bike and was only able to get one training ride in with my MTB before the race.

The bike is definitely my strongest event and I expected to make up some time here, which I did (304th in the swim, 285th on the bike). My time would have been even better, but at around Mile 9 I noticed my seat post was sliding down, making my legs do more work. I made a quick stop to re-adjust and lost probably 30 seconds or so.

Time Goal: 49:00

Next time I'll make sure that all my equipment is properly set up (and tightened!) so I don't have to find out the hard way.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

My MTB has toe cages, so I was able to wear my running shoes for the bike and didn't have to change them in T2. Unfortunately, pinning my number onto my shirt took longer than I would have liked, so that caused the long transition time.

Next time I won't mess around and will come equipped with a race belt so I don't waste time with trying to secure four safety pins.
Run
  • 31m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My rack in the transition area was at the end closest to the beginning of the run course, so that played in my favor. For the first half-mile or so, there was a guy running on my heels who would qualify as a "heavy breather." He actually sounded like he was about to keel over, which made me fairly uncomfortable so I was glad when I got away from him (ok, he actually passed me). My goal was to just keep my legs moving, even though I probably could have walked faster and been less tired. Having always been a terrible runner, though, my personal challenge was to run the entire course without stopping or walking, which I was able to do.

Time Goal: 31:00

I was pretty happy just to finish, and I was only 23 seconds off my target time, so I wouldn't do anything differently.
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent, it was starting to rain pretty hard and I felt like my wife and son didn't need to sit around and wait for me to warm down.

Event comments:

This was a great event for my first triathlon: calm (but cold) water and flat bike and run courses. Unfortunately, I think it's just too far from home (3-hour drive) to be a viable option in the future.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-12-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:56 | 547 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 304/464
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Team 2XU, with exclusive "open back" feature
Course: Swim out, 90-degree left turn, swim, 90-degree left turn, swim in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 07:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:51 | 14 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 285/464
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was really, really flat rectangular loop with only one memorable climb (which was very short).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:23 | 03 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/24
Overall: 345/464
Performance: Good
Course: The run course was relatively flat and outlined the lake, so at least there was something to look at while I ran. Most of the run was on hard-packed dirt that was fairly uneven in several places. The end of the run was on asphalt and the last hundred yards or so was back in hard-packed dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-03-07 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Subject: Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-03-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #2713148

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Congrats Josh!  Way to keep it together with the wetsuit malfunction.  And your bike split was excellent considering the switcherroo that happened to you right before the race.  Great job man!
2010-03-08 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Wicked job, that was one hell of an experience. Great job for pulling through, despite the bike switch-up and the wetsuit issues!
2010-03-08 11:22 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Well done out there. Way to play with what the day dealt. Congrats on a good race in bad conditions.
2010-03-08 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
I have heard of other people having similar wetsuit issues so it doesn't appear to be all that uncommon.  However, it does add another layer of complexity it to the day and I hope it never happens to me.  But you did quite well in getting through it.  It seems like you had an excellent race, in spite of the "issues."

I really enjoyed the comment:  "I wouldn't have done anything different, I just would have moved more quickly."  That sort of sums up my transition experience and probably a lot of other people's as well. 
2010-03-09 1:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great RR and an even better race...you did awesome! congratulations on completing your first tri.

2010-03-10 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2715627

User image

Regular
Valencia, CA
Thanks for all the encouraging words, everyone!

Here's my write-up from the "human interest" angle:
http://writeengel.blogspot.com/2010/03/there-is-no-tri.html
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Desert Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed