Pullman, Washington
United States
Palouse Road Runners
Total Time = 1h 33m 4s
Overall Rank = 76/688
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

For breakfast I had 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter. I toasted a wheat bagel and ate that on the car drive to the race. It took about 1:40 to get there. We left around 7:20am (from SFCC area) and arrived around 9am.
Event warmup:

5-10 minutes of running
Run
  • 1h 33m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Anytime you PR (personal record) it is a great race! :-)

I had a great run. I ran steady and watched my pace and heart rate pretty much the whole race. I generally carry all my nutrition with me on run races. The day before the race I looked at last years pictures and noticed very few people were carrying bottles or wore a fuel belt. I was considering carrying less than what I trained with to be “lighter”. I decided to stick with what I am use to and wore the fuel belt. I carried three bottles on the belt. Two contained water with Cytomax the third contained two GU’s and water. I was glad I brought everything I did I used it all!

The first 1-1.25 miles I spent trying to get my mp3 player to turn on. I charged it before departing so I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get it going. Even though it was cold, the sun was out and I couldn't see the screen to see what was going on. After about a mile I decided just to leave it off and run. I later found out it wouldn't turn on because the battery was low? Huh?!!!

There were a few race packs (of people) I tried to draft behind but each time I did, their pace was faster than I wanted to go. I tried to stay between 7:05-7:10 pace and if they were going too fast (consistently) I let them pass. I was drafting behind one girl going by a water station and as she went to get water she bumped the person who was handing it out and the cup fell to the ground. At that point I was really glad I was carrying all my hydration with me.

This race is known for being really windy. The first 6.5 miles we had a good head wind going. I couldn’t wait til I got to the turn around so I could have the wind to my back and I could put up my sails and fly!! Unfortunately, right after the turn around the sun shined warmer and brighter and the wind seemed to die down!...No!!! I tried to keep a steady consistent pace.

At the end of the race I had a kick. I wanted to leave everything on the course. Later looking at my GPS data my heart rate shot up high than it ever has 188 bpm!

Last year 400 people ran this race, this year 750 participated. I would highly recommend this race to anyone who is interested in running it. It is flat, fast and beautiful!
What would you do differently?:

Run FASTER!...and try to hang with those packs that passed by me!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, ate lots and did a short 3-5 minute warm down jog. Put on some shorts and put my legs into the chilly waters of the Snake River, painful at first, but certainly helped with the recovery!

Event comments:

Event started 10 minutes later than scheduled.
Results
http://www.palouseroadrunners.org/SnakeHalf/2010/SRCHM-FINAL-SUNDAY...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:04 | 13.1 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/688
Performance: Good
Ave HR: 174 Max HR: 188
Course: Flat, fast and BEAUTIFUL!!! The race is along the Snake River and you are running next to it the whole time. The scenary at this race was spectacular! The best I have run on so far. The road was smooth and seemed newly paved.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-03-08 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon

2010-03-08 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2714247

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon
Awesome! The picture says it all....it does look like a beautiful venue.

Glad to hear sticking with the nutrition/hydration plan worked out. (Back to that whole race what you know thread). Way to start the season off with a PR!

Congratulations.
2010-03-08 5:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Awesome job!!

on a side note...is this the same snake river canyon of evel knievel fame?
2010-03-08 5:30 PM

User image

Elite

Great work. Awesome 'ice' bath. You put it out there and did great.

2010-03-08 5:52 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great PR! Good call on sticking with your training nutrition, it really helps with the transition mishaps.
2010-03-09 1:23 AM
in reply to: #2715081

User image

Expert
WA
bfoyle - 2010-03-08 3:06 AM Awesome job!!

on a side note...is this the same snake river canyon of evel knievel fame?

It wasn't the same spot, but it is the same river.  This river is the longest within one state...or something like that! Smile  It was one of the trivia questions after the race.  I actually won an in home 30 body massage for answering the question, "how many people are racing this year" and I answered "750".

2010-03-09 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Rene - Fantastic race.  Congrats on your PR!  Averaging around a 7 min mile is very impressive.  Bravo!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snake River Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed